ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling VIDEO: Sanderson + Brooks and Kerk recap Iowa match

One Hundred Sgn GIF by SomeGoodNews

Vespa, a 1-8 career backup, had as many takedowns against The Goat as 9 Iowa varsity wrestlers combined.
And Vespa got beat 18-2. This fanbase has an obsession with takedowns that I’ve never seen before. Whatever trips your trigger.

And Vespa got beat 18-2. This fanbase has an obsession with takedowns that I’ve never seen before. Whatever trips your trigger.

In wrestling, to score points you need to shoot in order to get a takedown. I would see how an Iowa fan wouldn’t get that. Outside of Lee it would be hard for you to get the opportunity to see a takedown.

Obsession? Maybe. It is fairly important.
Weights that won TD battle and won match.
Hwt
Total = 6
Weights that lost TD battle and won match

You seem rather dismissive of the importance of takedowns.

With that said, I am not sure there should be some sort of claim of superiority from last night's match. Taking Aaron's TDs of a 175 pound backup out of the conversation the Lions only had what:
RBY 4?
Levi 1
Greg 1

Last edited:
In wrestling, to score points you need to shoot in order to get a takedown. I would see how an Iowa fan wouldn’t get that. Outside of Lee it would be hard for you to get the opportunity to see a takedown.
Is that the only way to score and win? Seems Woods won with one takedown, Murin with one takedown, Haines with one takedown, Kennedy with no takedowns, Starocci with no takedowns, Dean with no takedowns and Kerk with one takedown. 7 matches with one takedown or less.

Is that the only way to score and win? Seems Woods won with one takedown, Murin with one takedown, Haines with one takedown, Kennedy with no takedowns, Starocci with no takedowns, Dean with no takedowns and Kerk with one takedown. 7 matches with one takedown or less.
The Pirates won a game last May without getting a single hit. It never occurred to me to try to sell others on the idea that that was a good approach to the sport. (Although the Pirates did seem to try to win that way many nights.)

The Pirates won a game last May without getting a single hit. It never occurred to me to try to sell others on the idea that that was a good approach to the sport. (Although the Pirates did seem to try to win that way many nights.)
Did all the Phillies fans troll you about how many hits they get every game and how many runs they score?

Did all the Phillies fans troll you about how many hits they get every game and how many runs they score?
They would if the Pirates were good enough to be a Phillies rival.

There, you should be happy now. I just kind of admitted that even though your team generally finishes third the Hawks are kind of good enough to be considered maybe a rival.

They would if the Pirates were good enough to be a Phillies rival.

There, you should be happy now. I just kind of admitted that even though your team generally finishes third the Hawks are kind of good enough to be considered maybe a rival.

Reactions: Ja1339
Obsession with takedowns?!?! That’s hilarious.

See, I like my football teams to get touchdowns, my baseball teams to score runs and my wrestling teams to get takedowns. Call me crazy, maybe it’s some kind of peculiarity in me. 😂

Obsession with takedowns?!?! That’s hilarious.

See, I like my football teams to get touchdowns, my baseball teams to score runs and my wrestling teams to get takedowns. Call me crazy, maybe it’s some kind of peculiarity in me. 😂

And Vespa got beat 18-2. This fanbase has an obsession with takedowns that I’ve never seen before. Whatever trips your trigger

…and you have an obsession with match points.

If Spencer pinned our backup (after almost getting stuck himself) and RBY merely majored Teske, PSU would have dominated in total match points. Even with Spencer’s 16 point advantage, PSU would have still won the match point battle with an RBY major. I guess Roman really screwed up!:oops:

But hey…whatever trips your trigger.

"I'll trade losing the takedown battle and the match as long as we keep dominating collar ties, thunderous mat returns, and gassing dudes from the bottom. If we can keep this up, we'll be right on schedule for our once a decade title run around 2031."

-Some Iowa Fan (probably)

I am going to go with touchdowns are like guys getting hand raised. Usually the team with the most hands raised, just like the team with most touchdowns, wins. Friday night's match had 6 individual matches with takedowns scored, and in 5 of those matches the kid with the most takedowns had their hand raised.
More takedowns is the most common path to victory.

Would you admit that isn't a good standard for winning long term. As with all wrestlers that shit bites you in the ass at some point And unusually when it matters the most. I hate that style doesn't matter who does it

Exactly. Thanks for helping make my point.

No, I made Penn State's point. The objective of wrestling is everywhere and always the fall.

The single TD in those matches were preludes to a pin. Of course Nickal turned the rare opponent TD into a fall.

I'll give it to Lee (this year), Murin and Cass. They are going for the pin.

Lee will mostly likely be the NC, unless somebody catches him and doesn't let him go or figures out how to defend against his tilt. Once again, he's not invulnerable. He's trying to get to March wrestling as few matches as possible.

Murin could be an NC, but he'll need some luck.

Cass is unlikely to get past Parris and Kerk.

ADVERTISEMENT