ADVERTISEMENT

Vision Quest

mvattivo

Jun 23, 2005
Lebanon, PA
"Vision Quest" was the only wrestling movie for my generation. I can't even estimate how many times I watched that movie, let alone how many times I watched certain scenes (Climbing the peg board, all the wrestling scenes, etc)

I can't believe another great wrestling movie hasn't been made since. There have been decent movies with some wrestling in it, but, nothing like "Vision Quest"

All of that said, these things have bothered me forever. Obviously, the guys making the movie knew a little bit about wrestling, so, these mistakes were unforgivable.

1. The counter to the double arm bar in practice. It was so silly, the guys were just sort of rolling through it, and Louden and Kooch just did the double arm bar without a counter.

2. Shute hits a headlock as they go out of bounds. The ref shouts "Out of bounds, no takedown" They bring them to the middle of the mat and Louden starts on the bottom. He tries to stand and when Shute brings him back to the mat the referee yells "Two - takedown". Unforgiveable.

3. The coaches wrestling outfit.

coach.jpg

I think the Spates kid quit wrestling after being involved in this awful thing. Good god look at this acting.

Also, I haven't seen "Dangal," but it had great reviews. Looks a little corny, but maybe I'll catch it one day.

One of the all time greatest movie soundtracks! Anyone have any other ones?

Wonderful movie. It was made about 30 min from us in Spokane WA so about six years ago Matthew Modine came back for a 25 year anniversary showing at a local old school type theatre. The boys had watched it probably 40 times on the way to tournament by then so we had to go. During the movie my wife took kids up to lobby and were lucky enough to meet him and get a bunch of photos together. The next day was folkstyle state so I wanted to get the boys in bed soon as it was over but Modine was doing a question answering after movie and my 12 year old had to ask one. He recognized my son and brought him all the way up on stage with him. My son's question was what was his favorite scene to make? So while standing with his hand on his shoulder he goes on to talk about the panty sniffing laundry scene and all the jokes that were played on him for years after. Good memories

Reactions: kevin310
The movie Foxcatcher was so so . It tended to be slow and told thru the eyes of Mark Schulz. There is not a lot of wrestling match scenes.
I've talked to a wrestler that trained down at Dupont complex. Without a doubt John Dupont was crazy. The movie should have concentrated on truly how odd Dupont was.
There is a documentary made for TV called Team Foxcatcher, which is far better to give you an insight of what truly went on.

Reactions: lionlover
"Vision Quest" was the only wrestling movie for my generation. I can't even estimate how many times I watched that movie, let alone how many times I watched certain scenes (Climbing the peg board, all the wrestling scenes, etc)

I can't believe another great wrestling movie hasn't been made since. There have been decent movies with some wrestling in it, but, nothing like "Vision Quest"

All of that said, these things have bothered me forever. Obviously, the guys making the movie knew a little bit about wrestling, so, these mistakes were unforgivable.

1. The counter to the double arm bar in practice. It was so silly, the guys were just sort of rolling through it, and Louden and Kooch just did the double arm bar without a counter.

2. Shute hits a headlock as they go out of bounds. The ref shouts "Out of bounds, no takedown" They bring them to the middle of the mat and Louden starts on the bottom. He tries to stand and when Shute brings him back to the mat the referee yells "Two - takedown". Unforgiveable.

coach.jpg
My HS coach wore that exact outfit at every practice. I swear to god.

I've always wanted to do a documentary on the Don Bosco program here in Iowa. Tiny little town (Gilbertville) of less than 1,000 people, a private school that does not recruit, and a dynasty like no other in Iowa, and almost the nation. Many of them go onto big DI success, Mack Reiter being one of the most notorious.

It could be a fascinating sports documentary.

Reactions: CropDuster507
For all it's technical faults (prime Linda Fiorentino not being one of them), Vision Quest remains 'The GodFather' of wrestling movies in my book. Definitely captured the time, being a teenage wrestler in that time and striving for the prize (Linda Fiorentino, oh, and beating Shute).

Another vote for Win Win. Very nice little movie. Some good actors and while not a comedy, some very funny stuff in it.

John Cena made one a few years back that I thought was watchable. Training his younger brother, strained relationship with Mom. I think it's this movie, I was tickled when the kid hit my pet move from back in the day (Peterson).

I've read a couple of biographies about Gable

The way in which his family found about his sister's murder sounds like something from a movie. Not to downplay the tragedy, but it just has a tragic quality, like something from a good novel.

Those of who know the story know what I mean.

Gable's high school and college wrestling basically "saved" his parents, and their little three-member family, from breaking apart after his sister was killed. Then, after the loss to Larry Owings in 1970, Gable spun out of control momentarily only for his mother to complete the redemptive circle by telling him off in a very folksy, direct kind of way.

And that doesn't even get into the Olympic saga.

Instead the big wrestling movie was the one about Foxcatcher, which had zero redemptive quality. I know not every interesting story has a happy ending, but it would be nice for people to see a more "uplifting" side of wrestling, which is what Gable's story turns out to be...

coach.jpg

I'll reply with the line my wife and I alternate reminding each other when watching movies....

It's a movie, not a documentary!

The Peppelman's documentary Takedowns and Falls with the Central Dauphin wrestling team wasn't too bad. Not a movie, but at least something local.
My comment is only about your handle. Could very well be the single best handle on a wrestling forum that I've ever seen.

Once you realize that I live in Iowa, you now will know why I love the handle!

Reactions: oldcougar65
The movie Foxcatcher was so so . It tended to be slow and told thru the eyes of Mark Schulz. There is not a lot of wrestling match scenes.
I've talked to a wrestler that trained down at Dupont complex. Without a doubt John Dupont was crazy. The movie should have concentrated on truly how odd Dupont was.
There is a documentary made for TV called Team Foxcatcher, which is far better to give you an insight of what truly went on.

I felt Foxcatcher was at least accurate with some of the wrestling moves involved and was more realistic in how they presented wrestlers during the practice scenes

I think the Spates kid quit wrestling after being involved in this awful thing. Good god look at this acting.

He had 5 pounds to lose and he only had 2 1/2 days to do it. OMG that is impossible.
It is amazing why the general public does not know about what the average wrestler does and what they could do,if they were willing to put in the work.

He had 5 pounds to lose and he only had 2 1/2 days to do it. OMG that is impossible.
It is amazing why the general public does not know about what the average wrestler does and what they could do,if they were willing to put in the work.

When I was in college, I was coming back from mono in the fall (I was only released from the infirmary in mid-November). I had no intentions of wrestling in meets. Our 167 got injured right before a triangular meet and I was the only available backup. I had to lose, iirc, 8 pounds in 36 hours. I did, but it took an awful lot out of me. Luckily, I had not-so-great opponents and I won both matches.

Seconding Win Win.

The best recent film that was kind of about wrestling was Warrior, with Tom Hardy and Joel Edgerton. Worth mentioning because I think there's a wrestling film to be made in that mold. Edgerton is high school teacher and heavy underdog and Hardy is a indestructible war hero animal. They're estranged brothers and on a collision course to meet in the finals of some winner-take-all tournament where Edgerton really needs the money. Alcoholic Nick Nolte plays himself as their father.

Wouldn't take much to tweak that treatment into a wrestling film. Twin brothers---one the favorite son, the other a prodigal screwup--go to perennial D1 powerhouse Wisconsin State, but the screwup--who lost the wrestleoff and had to cut to 157, bounces out for disciplinary/anger reasons and winds up at, say, Rock Maven. They meet at the NCAA finals in their senior year, with the Good Son going for title #4 and Bad Son having not even AA'd. Emotions happen. [Does it even matter who wins?] Dad Nick Nolte puts down his flask long enough to grudgingly acknowledge that Bad Son has narrowly averted becoming just like him.

When I was in college, I was coming back from mono in the fall (I was only released from the infirmary in mid-November). I had no intentions of wrestling in meets. Our 167 got injured right before a triangular meet and I was the only available backup. I had to lose, iirc, 8 pounds in 36 hours. I did, but it took an awful lot out of me. Luckily, I had not-so-great opponents and I won both matches.
One of my son's best friends in HS was regularly doing 10+ the day before every event - even just your ordinary Wednesday dual meet. And this was a kid wrestling 112. He would be at my house playing video games and I would ask him his weight and I would roll my eyes every time. It was absolutely no skin off his back. This is a kid who ended up a D1 starter in the B1G.

My significant other's kid has a knipshizm if he's five over THREE days before. And he will be a D1 starter next year (and was a PA AAA champ). Right now he's wrestling up a weight class during RS, while weighing out 1 to 3 pounds under after practice while eating like a horse.

Different strokes for different folks.

My comment is only about your handle. Could very well be the single best handle on a wrestling forum that I've ever seen.

Once you realize that I live in Iowa, you now will know why I love the handle!
For some reason it’s one of my biggest pet peeves at duals. You have a kid getting absolutely dominated with both arms being ripped out of his sockets and then have a guy yell out to get him a pillow. Not saying that stalling doesn’t irk me at times also. I’m a fan, love good matches, while also trying to be a realest.

Years ago I watched a documentary online about Grundy (VA) wrestling. It’s well done and I’d recommend watching it if you can find it.

Last edited:
Years ago I watched a documentary online about Grundy (VA) wrestling. It’s well done and I’d recommend watching it if you can find it.
All right. I'll watch a documentary about a town mentioned in a Stanley Brothers song!!

All right. I'll watch a documentary about a town mentioned in a Stanley Brothers song!!

I spent an hour looking for it online and couldn’t find it. If I do I’ll post. The only thing I’ve found are trailers to it. I know I watched it in it’s entirety and it was free. Probably 10 years ago. Appreciated the video btw. Can’t wait for summer to hit a few blue grass festivals and sip moonshine. Always a lot of fun...

I was in this movie. All time classic.
And another comment the older guy making him throw milk jugs and run up hills is PSU wrestling alum Jerry Seaman. He ran a wrestling club called Flight Time in the 90s 00s. Great guy.

I spent an hour looking for it online and couldn’t find it. If I do I’ll post. The only thing I’ve found are trailers to it. I know I watched it in it’s entirety and it was free. Probably 10 years ago. Appreciated the video btw. Can’t wait for summer to hit a few blue grass festivals and sip moonshine. Always a lot of fun...

No problem. Are you from Robeson County?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT