ADVERTISEMENT

Wait wut? Will Levis a number one pick?

Come on man... Levis can be a serviceable NFL backup. Franklin messed the QB situation up big time in 2020 which also impacted 2021.

Reactions: tlbakernc
Wish him the best...only those of us with the thickest PSU glasses would fault him. Hell...it is highly likely that he will be drafted significantly higher than the guy he couldn't supplant at PSU. As much as I like Clifford as a person and representative of our culture, it appears our staff probably made the wrong call.

Time will tell..but I harbor no ill will for Levis. Dude beat out the AU transfer Gatewood and is playing himself into the 1st round. Good for him.

The PSU offense certainly didn’t fit his style. Not surprised he didn’t start. And if he had stayed he likely wouldn’t start. The KU offense is tailor made for him. And being a strong running team takes a huge amount of pressure off him.

Plus he is a smart kid.......going to KU he didn’t need to buy any new colors for his clothing selection.

Reactions: bison13
So says CBS and SI

He certainly has potential for a first rounder. He’s big, strong, fast ( for a QB), smart, with a monster arm. He seems to have been born with an NFL body. His season at Kentucky was a good one…. even though he was a bit of a neophyte, and learning as he went. Presumably another year in the same system should produce greater results. If the young man can stay healthy and find some “touch” in that rocket, I don’t think a first rounder could be ruled out.
—-……but first overall? Too many moving parts that are out of his control have to be satisfied for that one... So , extremely unlikely . First round? Definitely possible. ( and kudos to him creating his opportunity).
—Someone below made reference/ compared to Hostetler. I think that’s fair (although I think Levis got his diploma before he left)….and He seems to have a similar body type.
—Bottom line: Joe would have had both Levis and Hostetler at linebacker with Conlan if he had the opportunity , lol ( “best athletes on defense”)

He certainly has potential for a first rounder. He’s big, strong, fast ( for a QB), smart, with a monster arm. He seems to have been born with an NFL body. His season at Kentucky was a good one…. even though he was a bit of a neophyte, and learning as he went. Presumably another year in the same system should produce greater results. If the young man can stay healthy and find some “touch” in that rocket, I don’t think a first rounder could be ruled out.
—-……but first overall? Too many moving parts that are out of his control have to be satisfied for that one... So , extremely unlikely . First round? Definitely possible. ( and kudos to him creating his opportunity).
—Someone below made reference/ compared to Hostetler. I think that’s fair (although I think Levis got his diploma before he left)….and He seems to have a similar body type.
—Bottom line: Joe would have had both Levis and Hostetler at linebacker with Conlan if he had the opportunity , lol ( “best athletes on defense”)
Good stuff. And every time I watched his games the announcers salivated over his quick release, some thing the pros love.

I watched a lot of Kentucky last year because I was interested in seeing how Levis would do. Unless he makes a quantum leap this year he is not an NFL caliber QB. He still lacks the accuracy that you need for the position. He very easily could make a significant jump as last year was his first year really playing. The interesting thing about Levis is many think of him as a runner but he only ran 107 times (8 per game) and some of those were not designed.

He has the arm and athleticism to play in the NFL if he can make a big jump in year two as a starter.

Reactions: tlbakernc
I know very little about the mechanics of the QB position. But it seems to me that a QB is either accurate by the time he's getting significant CFB PT, or he's not. I can't think of many instances of accuracy improving greatly...although Josh Allen may be on that list.

I wish WL well and hope he's a future league MVP.

Reactions: OaktonDave
I know very little about the mechanics of the QB position. But it seems to me that a QB is either accurate by the time he's getting significant CFB PT, or he's not. I can't think of many instances of accuracy improving greatly...although Josh Allen may be on that list.

I have to say I really don't know either. Although the QB position has evolved. I wouldn't say that someone like Lamar Jackson is NOT a good throwing QB but his other skill sets make up for it. And, of course, it helps to have all-pro WR and TEs to throw to. I feel like a lot of pros get caught up in the optics of NFL QBs and it is much more difficult to judge the intangibles. But it is the intangibles that make or break the QB in the pros once you have a minimum physical skill set. For example, I've always heard you have to be able to zip that ten yard out play because it is very high risk but very common in third and long situations. If you can't zip that throw, you won't be on an NFL roster. Having said all of that, I feel NFL coaches don't respect college coaches. So the deficiencies of big strong college QBs is often blamed on the coaching, not the player. And why not? College QBs typically only play in a handful of big games in their careers and the offenses are often much different than the NFL>

I believe you are correct. It may be similar to baseball pitchers with rocket arms who, despite extensive coaching, can't master the strike zone. Another thing I notice that seems harder to fix than one would think is the inability to go through progressions/staring down primary receivers. Coaches have to see it and try to fix it, but some guys never seem improve. I'm not going to name names out of fear of kicking a hornets' nest, but I can think of several QBs who came through PSU (under different HCs) who had issues that never seemed to go away even after they moved on to either the pros or another school.

Yeah, Franklin should have stuck with Levis in 2020. He made the short term decision based on experience and polish. He should have went with the upside. His decision negatively impacted 2021 and 2022.

Reactions: GreggK
This is comical. That he went somewhere else and did well doesn’t mean PSU made a mistake. What exactly did he do at PSU?
At one point both he and Clifford played so poorly some on this board openly wondered how bad the freshman must be.

Outside of 2 years with Joe Morehead, the QB spot has been….not very good. The constant in this period is a HC.

As to Levis as a 1st Rounder? Someone is smoking something. Bill Polian once said there is one stat that always spells lack of success in the NFL. TD to Turnover (INT and Fumbles) ratio. It has to be 3-1 or greater. Levis is 24-13 (INT only). Far from 3-1. If you can’t manage the openings and read a D in college, it won’t happen in the pros.

This is comical. That he went somewhere else and did well doesn’t mean PSU made a mistake. What exactly did he do at PSU?
At one point both he and Clifford played so poorly some on this board openly wondered how bad the freshman must be.

Outside of 2 years with Joe Morehead, the QB spot has been….not very good. The constant in this period is a HC.

As to Levis as a 1st Rounder? Someone is smoking something. Bill Polian once said there is one stat that always spells lack of success in the NFL. TD to Turnover (INT and Fumbles) ratio. It has to be 3-1 or greater. Levis is 24-13 (INT only). Far from 3-1. If you can’t manage the openings and read a D in college, it won’t happen in the pros.
I do agree that I'd be surprised to see him go in the first round. But back to the QB battle between Levis and SC, Levis had very little time in 2020 and 2021 to practice due to COVID. i am willing to bet the majority of practice time went to SC, especially with the first team unit (much needed in terms of getting a feel for the pocket with that OL, and timing with the Rs). I can't fault Franklin for going with SC at the time because nobody can anticipate trajectory/progress (or lack thereof). SC has also played injured the last two years. I also think the staff didn't use SC to run very much do to those injuries and lack of a qualified backup (last season). Nobody covered the QB on the RPO because everyone knew he wasn't going to run the ball. It was a no-option option.

Regardless, it is very frustrating to watch other staffs develop decent QBs year in and out while our staff can't get a QB even to C+ standards or a second-team QB to be able to take a snap without 53 penalties.

Who knows and who cares? He plays behind a division 1 offensive line and Cliff plays behind a division 2 offensive line. Comparisons are impossible. We all saw him when he was here, and he hasn't changed.

Who knows and who cares? He plays behind a division 1 offensive line and Cliff plays behind a division 2 offensive line. Comparisons are impossible. We all saw him when he was here, and he hasn't changed.
how do you know he hasn't changed? does practice not count? or work ethic? How about footwork and mechanics?

Levis no worse off than Pickett at Pitt his junior year. Levis is stronger and bigger. Pickett 217. Just saying you never know

I do agree that I'd be surprised to see him go in the first round. But back to the QB battle between Levis and SC, Levis had very little time in 2020 and 2021 to practice due to COVID. i am willing to bet the majority of practice time went to SC, especially with the first team unit (much needed in terms of getting a feel for the pocket with that OL, and timing with the Rs). I can't fault Franklin for going with SC at the time because nobody can anticipate trajectory/progress (or lack thereof). SC has also played injured the last two years. I also think the staff didn't use SC to run very much do to those injuries and lack of a qualified backup (last season). Nobody covered the QB on the RPO because everyone knew he wasn't going to run the ball. It was a no-option option.

Regardless, it is very frustrating to watch other staffs develop decent QBs year in and out while our staff can't get a QB even to C+ standards or a second-team QB to be able to take a snap without 53 penalties.
The biggest issue is that Levis is no how, no way an RPO QB. He is a strong armed dropback passer that can run called runs and scrambles. He is not a quick footed, quick decision making RPO guy. Clifford fit the system better. And with Franklin, players have to fit the system ....it doesn’t adapt to the players.

Now under Yurcich might be different enough to lean to Levis if he were still here.

I agree. But my level of interest is in PSU. Did we make the best QB decisions?
Kind of too soon to tell IMO. For curiosity’s sake I wonder how Levis and Clifford’s stats compared last year before Clifford got hurt. Saw a couple of Levis’ games last year. One tremendous advantage he had was Kentucky actually had a running game. Many of his passes were of the short variety which I was a little surprised about given his arm strength. Both of them have accuracy issues. Heard Charlie Weis on the NFL network claiming Mac Jones would do well in the NFL because the #1 requirement was passing accuracy and Jones was the most accurate passer in college the year he entered the draft.

So says CBS and SI

When you're judging QB evaluation decisions, don't forget how badly they botched the number 2 quarterback selection last year. I was stunned to see that our quarterback was not listed as one of the top 50 this year. even though hes in his 22nd year at Penn State

It is amusing and even more amusing how PSU fans jump on Franklin because of it. Levis threw for 200 yards or more once in conference play last year... One time.. if he had the same exact stats playing for Penn State, he'd be ripped to shreds and if anyone mentioned him as a first round NFL qb, they'd be mocked. Levis has a big NFL body but he can't throw and he's not very fast. He can help Kentucky win some games in their system. I'm glad he's getting playing time and I hope for him he gets drafted and makes some money whether he's successful or not in the NFL.

It is amusing and even more amusing how PSU fans jump on Franklin because of it. Levis threw for 200 yards or more once in conference play last year... One time.. if he had the same exact stats playing for Penn State, he'd be ripped to shreds and if anyone mentioned him as a first round NFL qb, they'd be mocked. Levis has a big NFL body but he can't throw and he's not very fast. He can help Kentucky win some games in their system. I'm glad he's getting playing time and I hope for him he gets drafted and makes some money whether he's successful or not in the NFL.
nobody cares about the stats. its about winning games. IMHO, Levis is a much better runner than SC. This is why Levis was used at the end of 2020 to win games. Again, it could be because SC was banged up.

long term bet, but I will bet Clifford has a better pro career than Levis.
I'll take that bet. I don't think SC has the arm strength or pocket presence. Sad, because I really like him. I am also concerned that he has injured his non-throwing shoulder on several occasions. I know he QBed the Ohio state championship game (against St. Ignatius I think) with a dislocated shoulder. Many feel it was the gutsiest QB performance in a clutch situation they've ever seen and were upset tOSU passed on him. I know he's now injured that shoulder three times. That will be a red flag in the NFL.

Reactions: Texas Lion
nobody cares about the stats. its about winning games. IMHO, Levis is a much better runner than SC. This is why Levis was used at the end of 2020 to win games. Again, it could be because SC was banged up.
SC was banged up and that game vs a Rutgers team that couldn’t win….was nothing short of ugly play from Levis. His success at Kentucky is a great thing. He simply did not play that well here.

Jeff Hostetler isn’t a comparison. We won a NC with the guy that stayed. What happened in the NFL is irrelevant.

Clifford was reinstated as the starter to finish the 2020 season because he gave us the best chance to win games. Levis came in to run to keep Clifford from absorbing more hits. Levis is a decent runner but he's a power runner, not a big play runner and he couldn't throw so Clifford got the job back. Levis had the chance to take the job vs Nebraska and then when he started vs Iowa. Small window but he clearly didn't show there was some great separation where he should start.

So if Levis is playing for PSU and PSU starts 6-0 and then we lose 3 straight, we'd be ok with our qb? How about if he throws for 3 picks and 150 yards in one of them? 2 wins all season against teams with a winning record.. I guess it shows the fine line between what is considered success and failure.

And if someone started talking about that qb being a first round pick, nobody here would bring up the 7-17 90 yard performance despite it being a win?

UK ain’t one of those staffs developing decent QB’s year in and out.

Clifford was reinstated as the starter to finish the 2020 season because he gave us the best chance to win games. Levis came in to run to keep Clifford from absorbing more hits. Levis is a decent runner but he's a power runner, not a big play runner and he couldn't throw so Clifford got the job back. Levis had the chance to take the job vs Nebraska and then when he started vs Iowa. Small window but he clearly didn't show there was some great separation where he should start.

So if Levis is playing for PSU and PSU starts 6-0 and then we lose 3 straight, we'd be ok with our qb? How about if he throws for 3 picks and 150 yards in one of them? 2 wins all season against teams with a winning record.. I guess it shows the fine line between what is considered success and failure.

And if someone started talking about that qb being a first round pick, nobody here would bring up the 7-17 90 yard performance despite it being a win?
I disagree. I think Levis is a much better runner than SC. SC may be the better passer but the very reason why WL got so much playing time at the end of 2000 was because he was a better runner than SC.

Levis didn’t fit our RPO system.

Levis has the athletic ability to play in the NFL(size, strength, speed, scrambling). He will have to improve at reading defenses and going through progressions to show the mental acuity to play pro. When I compare his physical tools to an NFL qb, he reminds me of Josh Allen. He’s far from the passer Allen is though. I wish him the best in his senior season.

Reactions: KobeWhite
ADVERTISEMENT