ADVERTISEMENT

Walking shoe recommendations requested

RickinDayton

May 29, 2001
I walk 4-5 days a week for 3 1/2 to 4 miles @ pretty good pace, sometimes outdoors, sometimes inside @ mall. I've heard HOKAs are very good and help minimize joint pain. Any specific recommendations are appreciated, even other brands.

Thanks

As an aging athlete, prior as college swimmer turned runner (1 marathon 3:05), I always used top of line motion control/stability training shoes, do not go cheap. Now as walker , I followed same pattern. Seek out a respectable Athlete Shoe Stores. Body weight, pronate issues, knee stability, it is no less important to wear the best . I honestly think it is better to over kill in quality. Hoka shoes have great options.

As an aging athlete, prior as college swimmer turned runner (1 marathon 3:05), I always used top of line motion control/stability training shoes, do not go cheap. Now as walker , I followed same pattern. Seek out a respectable Athlete Shoe Stores. Body weight, pronate issues, knee stability, it is no less important to wear the best . I honestly think it is better to over kill in quality. Hoka shoes have great options.
Roadrunner Sports

Thank you!

Second motion for Brooks.

I've had 4, maybe 5 pair now since 2011. For the money, best shoes I've owned. Running, walking, hiking, standing at concerts. Very versatile and extremely comfortable.

I like to buy mine when they go on sale. $60-$100 for $100-$160 shoes is a steal.
how can one take exercise advice from someone named @lazydave841 ???

icegif-827.gif

I walk 4-5 days a week for 3 1/2 to 4 miles @ pretty good pace, sometimes outdoors, sometimes inside @ mall. I've heard HOKAs are very good and help minimize joint pain. Any specific recommendations are appreciated, even other brands.

Thanks
I have knee trouble and my surgeon told me that Hokas are best for knee pain. In the past I used New Balance, then moved on to Brooks. I bought a pair of Hokas (cost ~ $150) and I think they are better than Brooks or New Balance. They have tremendous cushioning and cause less knee impact forces. Of course, they don't fix knee pain but I think they help.

I used to walk a lot but now I mostly use exercise bicycles and run about 7 or so miles a week. I have a bunion on my right foot and 20 or 25 years ago I saw a podiatrist for the bunion and the pain I was having in my big toe. This person, who turns out to be a bum who has been sued about 15 times for malpractice, recommended surgery. I did not do that and got new shoes which supported the ball of my foot. Since then I've had virtually no problems with my foot. For the last 15 years or so I've been using New balance and it has worked very well for me. In fact, I have one pair of shoes that must be three or four years old and just won't die. Maybe others are better for more extreme problems but you ought to at least consider New balance because those shoes have worked very well for me.

I've had 4, maybe 5 pair now since 2011. For the money, best shoes I've owned. Running, walking, hiking, standing at concerts. Very versatile and extremely comfortable.

I like to buy mine when they go on sale. $60-$100 for $100-$160 shoes is a steal.
Thank you.

Reactions: lazydave841
I used to walk a lot but now I mostly use exercise bicycles and run about 7 or so miles a week. I have a bunion on my right foot and 20 or 25 years ago I saw a podiatrist for the bunion and the pain I was having in my big toe. This person, who turns out to be a bum who has been sued about 15 times for malpractice, recommended surgery. I did not do that and got new shoes which supported the ball of my foot. Since then I've had virtually no problems with my foot. For the last 15 years or so I've been using New balance and it has worked very well for me. In fact, I have one pair of shoes that must be three or four years old and just won't die. Maybe others are better for more extreme problems but you ought to at least consider New balance because those shoes have worked very well for me.
I have New Balance, looking to switch. Thank you for the info. We each have to find our comfort zone.

Reactions: dailybuck777
I have knee trouble and my surgeon told me that Hokas are best for knee pain. In the past I used New Balance, then moved on to Brooks. I bought a pair of Hokas (cost ~ $150) and I think they are better than Brooks or New Balance. They have tremendous cushioning and cause less knee impact forces. Of course, they don't fix knee pain but I think they help.
What particular style of HOKA are you currently using?

Go to a real running shoe store and have them evaluate your walking/running gait. If they are a good store, they will pair you up with the right shoe based on how your foot impacts the ground. I did this for my running shoes and based on the way my feet land, they hooked me up with Brooks Ghost shoes. Changed my running and my life for the better....

Thanks

You should know your foot type. high arches? flat feet? Normal? Second variable is level of cushioning.

Used Brooks Beast for decades (high stability, high cushioning). Great for bigger people with flat feet. Bought some Hoka's (high stability, high cushioning). They ran narrow. I'll try again with a wide version. Now wearing Altra's. Love the wide toe box. They are also known for "zero drop" which is a variable too advanced for me to feel. Hoka's are typically 8 mm.

All have walking shoes, and running shoes.

Each website will have a questionnaire that will help you dial in what kind of shoe is for you.

Good luck.

Go to a real running shoe store and have them evaluate your walking/running gait. If they are a good store, they will pair you up with the right shoe based on how your foot impacts the ground. I did this for my running shoes and based on the way my feet land, they hooked me up with Brooks Ghost shoes. Changed my running and my life for the better....

Bingo.

You should know your foot type. high arches? flat feet? Normal? Second variable is level of cushioning.

Used Brooks Beast for decades (high stability, high cushioning). Great for bigger people with flat feet. Bought some Hoka's (high stability, high cushioning). They ran narrow. I'll try again with a wide version. Now wearing Altra's. Love the wide toe box. They are also known for "zero drop" which is a variable too advanced for me to feel. Hoka's are typically 8 mm.

All have walking shoes, and running shoes.

Each website will have a questionnaire that will help you dial in what kind of shoe is for you.

Good luck.
Thanks

Will do.

I’ve been using Brooks for running/walking for decades. I wonder off from time to time but always come back to Brooks. I also have a pair of the Hoka Bondi 8’s that someone mentioned. I like them a lot, but a word of caution. I wouldn’t recommend using them to drive. The toe box is so wide it is hard to get from gas to break sometimes. Other than that, I like em.

Thanks
I walk a lot and I found that my FootJoy spike less golf shoes work real well. Not as padded as some but offer real solid support.

If you are looking for an alternative to HOKAs you might want to consider Altra Lone Peaks. I like them because I do a lot of walking on trails and their zero heel drop helps prevent turning an ankle. They also have a wide toe box so your foot doesn't feel cramped. But they don't have anywhere near as much cushion as HOKAs (I personally don't like all that cushion). Your best bet is to go to a store with good options, try different brands on and select one that feels comfortable for you.

I’ve been using Brooks for running/walking for decades. I wonder off from time to time but always come back to Brooks. I also have a pair of the Hoka Bondi 8’s that someone mentioned. I like them a lot, but a word of caution. I wouldn’t recommend using them to drive. The toe box is so wide it is hard to get from gas to break sometimes. Other than that, I like em.
Good info.

If you are looking for an alternative to HOKAs you might want to consider Altra Lone Peaks. I like them because I do a lot of walking on trails and their zero heel drop helps prevent turning an ankle. They also have a wide toe box so your foot doesn't feel cramped. But they don't have anywhere near as much cushion as HOKAs (I personally don't like all that cushion). Your best bet is to go to a store with good options, try different brands on and select one that feels comfortable for you.
Will do.

Thanks
81dp71z-obL._AC_SY695_.jpg

Brooks Men’s Ghost Max Cushion Neutral Running & Walking Shoe - 20% off in Amazon.

I did same research both online and in person- one store was a Dick's but I had the Shoes Manager who was also in late 50s and the other a small running store where we bought kids track shoes. High end prices and service.

Both pointed to Hoka and Brooks. Both favored Brooks as a brand but supported the "how do they feel on you" over ratings.

Bought an on clearance pair of Hokas for $55 w no sales tax. My feet and wallet are happy!

My sister is currently hiking across France on the Camino. She bought some seriously high end shoes as she is doing about 15-20 miles on average each day in almost all weather (she did bag one quagmire day when she realized the only people dumb enough to be on the trail were foreigners- took an Uber to her next sleeping spot- best move ever!)

I'll find out the brand when I can. She is beyond pleased.

Reactions: lazydave841
I did same research both online and in person- one store was a Dick's but I had the Shoes Manager who was also in late 50s and the other a small running store where we bought kids track shoes. High end prices and service.

Both pointed to Hoka and Brooks. Both favored Brooks as a brand but supported the "how do they feel on you" over ratings.

Bought an on clearance pair of Hokas for $55 w no sales tax. My feet and wallet are happy!

My sister is currently hiking across France on the Camino. She bought some seriously high end shoes as she is doing about 15-20 miles on average each day in almost all weather (she did bag one quagmire day when she realized the only people dumb enough to be on the trail were foreigners- took an Uber to her next sleeping spot- best move ever!)

I'll find out the brand when I can. She is beyond pleased.
Thank you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT