ADVERTISEMENT

Want To Understand Why PSU Football Is Where It's At? Look To The Wrestling Program For Answers

bourbon n blues

Nov 20, 2019
PSU has arguably the best wrestling coach ever in Cael Sanderson, not best now which is not in doubt, but maybe the best ever, You can argue a few others but I put Cael at the top due to the staff and support structure he assembled. Watch some of the guys talk about their training, nutrition, and rest and recovery. Listen to them talk about their Sports Psychologist. Cael covers all the bases.

But Cael picked PSU, he approached them once and PSU did not get back to him, they did of course get together and the rest is history. But why did he pick PSU? Location, location, location. He believed the school had untapped potential since we are right in the best wrestling state in the country, smack dap in the best over all area in the country.

And since then PSU became the wrestling equivalent of the SEC, the conference, not Bama or Georgia winning 10/13 of the last contested titles and something like 30% of the last ten individual titles. It's easier to build a run in wrestling for multiple reason once being the size of the team , but the principal is the same. recruiting is great right in the back yard.

I checked on the electoral college votes Pa. had 1968 to now, Coach Paterno's ( arguably one of the best coaches ever)first undefeated season and back then we had 29, now it's 19. The north has lost population which we all know, while the South has gained population. So in his hey day we had a stronger recruit base up north and pretty good inroads into Ohio which ended with Jim Tressel in the early 2000s. Ironically he won a title in 2002 which was one of only 2 titles won by a northern team since 2000. Obviously Meyer won one in 2014, nine years ago. And from what I've seen I think the state overall has better recruits than Pa.

9 years ago since a Northern team won the title, maybe Michigan has a shot this year but it'll be tough. Every team has that tough game they lose or almost lose and I'd love to spoil their playoff bid, if possible. My best case scenario is OSU winning out and winning the title and PSU wins out. then a road loss to the champ by a score doesn't sting as much.

So my whole point is we just have a tougher road than Southern teams due to the reality of demographics, let alone NIL deals and the transfer portal. The same situation that makes the wrestling team almost impossible to beat keeps us in that around top 10-12 range. I hope it changes but don't see it happening any time soon under any coach. So you keep working, try to improve and enjoy the good times.

Reactions: psuted
PSU has arguably the best wrestling coach ever in Cael Sanderson, not best now which is not in doubt, but maybe the best ever, You can argue a few others but I put Cael at the top due to the staff and support structure he assembled. Watch some of the guys talk about their training, nutrition, and rest and recovery. Listen to them talk about their Sports Psychologist. Cael covers all the bases.

But Cael picked PSU, he approached them once and PSU did not get back to him, they did of course get together and the rest is history. But why did he pick PSU? Location, location, location. He believed the school had untapped potential since we are right in the best wrestling state in the country, smack dap in the best over all area in the country.

And since then PSU became the wrestling equivalent of the SEC, the conference, not Bama or Georgia winning 10/13 of the last contested titles and something like 30% of the last ten individual titles. It's easier to build a run in wrestling for multiple reason once being the size of the team , but the principal is the same. recruiting is great right in the back yard.

I checked on the electoral college votes Pa. had 1968 to now, Coach Paterno's ( arguably one of the best coaches ever)first undefeated season and back then we had 29, now it's 19. The north has lost population which we all know, while the South has gained population. So in his hey day we had a stronger recruit base up north and pretty good inroads into Ohio which ended with Jim Tressel in the early 2000s. Ironically he won a title in 2002 which was one of only 2 titles won by a northern team since 2000. Obviously Meyer won one in 2014, nine years ago. And from what I've seen I think the state overall has better recruits than Pa.

9 years ago since a Northern team won the title, maybe Michigan has a shot this year but it'll be tough. Every team has that tough game they lose or almost lose and I'd love to spoil their playoff bid, if possible. My best case scenario is OSU winning out and winning the title and PSU wins out. then a road loss to the champ by a score doesn't sting as much.

So my whole point is we just have a tougher road than Southern teams due to the reality of demographics, let alone NIL deals and the transfer portal. The same situation that makes the wrestling team almost impossible to beat keeps us in that around top 10-12 range. I hope it changes but don't see it happening any time soon under any coach. So you keep working, try to improve and enjoy the good times.
OSU was at weak points in 1999 before Tressel took over and then in 2011 before Mayer took over, and Michigan was pretty much a mess from the late 2000s really until 2021. Yet, they were able to fix their problems and OSU went on to win two National Championships and be a regular playoff participant, and Michigan probably is going to make their third playoff appearance in a row this season. PSU has to ask itself why it hasn't been able to come close to this in that same period. Is it where the school is located, demographics, something else?

I realize that the quality of PA high school football has declined dramtically in the past decade, but PSU still is close enough to enough fertile recruiting grounds that it should be able not only to compete with, but beat regularly, OSU and Michigan. While the top SEC schools just may have too many inherent advantages now, PSU still should be able to accomplish as much as OSU and Michigan, and it simply hasn't for going on 30 years.

OSU was at weak points in 1999 before Tressel took over and then in 2011 before Mayer took over, and Michigan was pretty much a mess from the late 2000s really until 2021. Yet, they were able to fix their problems and OSU went on to win two National Championships and be a regular playoff participant, and Michigan probably is going to make their third playoff appearance in a row this season. PSU has to ask itself why it hasn't been able to come close to this in that same period. Is it where the school is located, demographics, something else?

I realize that the quality of PA high school football has declined dramtically in the past decade, but PSU still is close enough to enough fertile recruiting grounds that it should be able not only to compete with, but beat regularly, OSU and Michigan. While the top SEC schools just may have too many inherent advantages now, PSU still should be able to accomplish as much as OSU and Michigan, and it simply hasn't for going on 30 years.
Compete with Them for top 3-5? I hope we can but we're fishing in a smaller pond overall by being in the north. It's why there are only 2 championships in 23 years. It's a tough road to hoe.

Reactions: psuted
Compete with Them for top 3-5? I hope we can but we're fishing in a smaller pond overall by being in the north. It's why there are only 2 championships in 23 years. It's a tough road to hoe.
Well, at least beginning next season, 12 teams are going to be able to compete for a National Championship, so presumably PSU will have a chance in several seasons, and I would imagine that more teams from the Midwest and West will win more championships just because the odds will be greater.

Also, all things are cyclical. I mean, look at Clemson, who have lost 3 ACC games this season for God's sake; it looks like their great run is officially over for at least the time being. I also wouldn't be surprised if Bama drops off a little after Saban leaves; after all, they were just a good to mediocre program before he went there.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Well, at least beginning next season, 12 teams are going to be able to compete for a National Championship, so presumably PSU will have a chance in several seasons, and I would imagine that more teams from the Midwest and West will win more championships just because the odds will be greater.

Also, all things are cyclical. I mean, look at Clemson, who have lost 3 ACC games this season for God's sake; it looks like their great run is officially over for at least the time being. I also wouldn't be surprised if Bama drops off a little after Saban leaves; after all, they were just a good to mediocre program before he went there.
They are still the South, and when Saban retires ( remember he wasn't as successful at MSU) they will wri8te a check for some big name, maybe even Smart. I have similar hopes that you have, make then expanded playoffs and maybe make a run similar to Nova in 1985.

But I still don't think we're going to see much more of a change and while Oregon and other schools will be in the big Ten, I don't see them as Midwest, but they will be northern teams so that would be refreshing.

As for Clemson, they are still obviously a Southern team.

Well regarding Clemson, I think it's been said by many of the experts is that Dabo is not embracing the Portal and NIL. In today's game, that's a losing hand.

Well regarding Clemson, I think it's been said by many of the experts is that Dabo is not embracing the Portal and NIL. In today's game, that's a losing hand.
This is their third disappointing season in a row, so it's now a pattern with that program, and this season is the worst of the three.

They are still the South, and when Saban retires ( remember he wasn't as successful at MSU) they will wri8te a check for some big name, maybe even Smart. I have similar hopes that you have, make then expanded playoffs and maybe make a run similar to Nova in 1985.

But I still don't think we're going to see much more of a change and while Oregon and other schools will be in the big Ten, I don't see them as Midwest, but they will be northern teams so that would be refreshing.
I know that this is meaningless, but PSU would've made the playoffs in 2016, 2017, 2019 and 2022 if there had been 12 teams. So, that's 4 out of 7 seasons, and I really don't count 2020 because of all of the choas that was created unnecssarily. So, even under Franklin and if things continue as they've been since 2016, it appears as if we can expect to make the playoffs 3 or 4 times out of every 5 seasons.

Damn, I just put up my white flag of surrender.

Neither OSU or Michigan is in the South and they have both played in multiple CFPs. Haven’t won in a while, but most PSU fans that are critical are comparing to those two, not Alabama. Heck, i think PA likely compares favorably to the combined Alabama, South Carolina and Louisiana electoral college numbers.

Yupp adapt or die and he's going to die if they don't embrace it.

159-0

Damn, I just put up my white flag of surrender.

Neither OSU or Michigan is in the South and they have both played in multiple CFPs. Haven’t won in a while, but most PSU fans that are critical are comparing to those two, not Alabama. Heck, i think PA likely compares favorably to the combined Alabama, South Carolina and Louisiana electoral college numbers.
They have played in the playoffs but lost every time since 2015. Newsflash, no matter what attitude you chose to take towards the team, none of your thoughts will make them win more or lose more. PSU is at a distinct disadvantage compared to certain teams based on geography. As for Ohio State?

Tressel got OSU back on the map. Meyer won again there, solidifying their status as the top Northern team. If you recall Many thought Meyer was coming here prior to the Sandusky mess. What happens thern? PSU might have the top dog status.

And people would still complain.

I know that this is meaningless, but PSU would've made the playoffs in 2016, 2017, 2019 and 2022 if there had been 12 teams. So, that's 4 out of 7 seasons, and I really don't count 2020 because of all of the choas that was created unnecssarily. So, even under Franklin and if things continue as they've been since 2016, it appears as if we can expect to make the playoffs 3 or 4 times out of every 5 seasons.
Honestly, you IMO have a solid and healthy take on the program. We might be top 10 ish now, not just top 1-4 ish. We get in the playoffs we have a shot at winning.

Honestly, you IMO have a solid and healthy take on the program. We might be top 10 ish now, not just top 1-4 ish. We get in the playoffs we have a shot at winning.
I appreciate you saying that. However, with that said, I still am very, very disappointed and disgusted about the offensive plan, coaching and execution last Saturday, which is just totally unacceptable. While you never can assume to beat OSU on the road, and I certainly didn't, with our defense and what turned out to be mostly good special teams, that was such a winnable game against a No. 3 ranked team that was very beatable.

To tell you how winnable it was, that was one of the most pathetic attempts at offensive football that I've seen in a long time, and yet that was a 4 to 7 point game for almost all of the second half.

I appreciate you saying that. However, with that said, I still am very, very disappointed and disgusted about the offensive plan, coaching and execution last Saturday, which is just totally unacceptable. While you never can assume to beat OSU on the road, and I certainly didn't, with our defense and what turned out to be mostly good special teams, that was such a winnable game against a No. 3 ranked team that was very beatable.

To tell you how winnable it was, that was one of the most pathetic attempts at offensive football that I've seen in a long time, and yet that was a 4 to 7 point game for almost all of the second half.
I'm not happy either, I hate losing but prior to the game I was out with my 82 yp dad archery hunting. I don't have many more of those days, so these are just games to me, not real life. That said I want to win and it was close. PSU to me was a little undisciplined defensively but you get that with an aggressive D. I wish that TD held up, that changes the game.

Also I recall many calling for Allar last year. I think if we had Clifford for that game we win. Allar can't run, Clifford would have converted multiple first down with his feet. Oh well, PSU lost to a team with a great wideout, in fact the last 3 years they had 4 number 1 draft picks at that position, not including Harrison.

But lastly, how many games have we won on the road or at home as a favorite near the end? Remember 2017 and Iowa? Last play of the game. The other guys are trying too.

Only thing is those numbers are based on pre-expansion. When BIG expands next year those types of finishes become more difficult. The landscape changes and it will not be in PSU's favor.

Only thing is those numbers are based on pre-expansion. When BIG expands next year those types of finishes become more difficult. The landscape changes and it will not be in PSU's favor.
At least next year, Oregon, Washington and USC all must replace qbs who have started multiple seasons. Therefore, unless they use the portal to bring in equal talent, which probably is unrealistic because you're talking about a Heisman Trophy winner, another one who may win the Heisman Trophy this season, and another one who is a four year starter combined at Auburn and Oregon, those three probably will not be as good this season as last season; I don't know what UCLA's situation is. Also, I believe that there will be an adjustment period for all four of those schools, especially if they have to make several trips across the country to play games.

Last edited:
At least next year, Oregon, Washington and USC all must replace qbs who have started multiple seasons. Therefore, unless they use the portal to bring in equal talent, which probably is unrealistic because you're talking about a Heisman Trophy winner, another one who may win the Heisman Trophy this season, and another one who is a four year starter combined at Auburn and Oregon, those three probably will not be as good this season as last season; I don't know what UCLA's situation is. Also, I believe that there will be an adjustment period for all four of those schools, especially if they have to make several trips across the country to play games.
You said "we can expect to make the playoffs 3 or 4 times out of every 5 seasons" - but everything you listed "might" be a factor next year and after that who knows? And last time I checked there were some teams in the east that have to make trips across the country as well.

This year is/was PSU's best chance of making the playoff. Next year there are many more teams in the mix.

I'm not happy either, I hate losing but prior to the game I was out with my 82 yp dad archery hunting. I don't have many more of those days, so these are just games to me, not real life. That said I want to win and it was close. PSU to me was a little undisciplined defensively but you get that with an aggressive D. I wish that TD held up, that changes the game.

Also I recall many calling for Allar last year. I think if we had Clifford for that game we win. Allar can't run, Clifford would have converted multiple first down with his feet. Oh well, PSU lost to a team with a great wideout, in fact the last 3 years they had 4 number 1 draft picks at that position, not including Harrison.

But lastly, how many games have we won on the road or at home as a favorite near the end? Remember 2017 and Iowa? Last play of the game. The other guys are trying too.
I wasn’t calling for Allar last year, but I understand those who were thinking that he likely wouldn’t have been as much a deer in the headlights had he played more last year.

You said "we can expect to make the playoffs 3 or 4 times out of every 5 seasons" - but everything you listed "might" be a factor next year and after that who knows? And last time I checked there were some teams in the east that have to make trips across the country as well.

This year is/was PSU's best chance of making the playoff. Next year there are many more teams in the mix.
I expect that PSU will be a preseason Top 10 team next season, and also will be more exprienced overall, especially at qb. I saw a stat earlier in the season that about 2/3 of PSU's roster this season is made up of first and second year players. We also don't play OSU, which should help.

This is their third disappointing season in a row, so it's now a pattern with that program, and this season is the worst of the three.
The pattern is they don’t have a future NFL QB running the offense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT