ADVERTISEMENT

Watching last night I do see that PSU is pretty young

RickinDayton

May 29, 2001
Some really talented young players that will be returning next season:
Chop Robinson (who sat last night). Tengwell (who sat last night)
A. Carter
C. Jacobs
DDS
K. Allen
Singleton
P. Washington
Allar
Theo Johnson
Hakeem Beamon
D.Ellies
C. Izzard
Amin Vanover
Smith Vilbert (sitting out the year ala Beamon)
Zane Durant
King (DB)
S. Wormley
Z. Wheatley
Winston (safety - is he being redshirted?)
H. Wallace (WR)
Evans (WR)
J. Reed
T. Warren
K. Dinkins (TE)
Z. Fisher (out for season w/injury)
Shelton (OL redshirt)
K. Saunders-WR redshirt)
K. Wiley (LB redshirt)
J. Cross (TE redshirt)

Can return, but will they?
Fashanau (LT - that would be a boost to anchor the OL)
B. Strange
A. Issac (pretty sure he returns - rather quiet season thus far)
Scruggs (still has another year of eligibility)
C. Wallace (would like to see him moved to RG)
Veilleux (QB - hope he doesn't portal)
K. Ellis

Urgent Portal needs:
MLB
DT (to replace Mustipher)
Punter (B. Amor is a senior)
Place kicker (?)

Give me your thoughts.

A. Carter
C. Jacobs
DDS
K. Allen
Singleton
P. Washington
Allar
Theo Johnson
Hakeem Beamon
D.Ellies
C. Izzard
Amin Vanover
Zane Durant
King (DB)
S. Wormley
Z. Wheatley
H. Wallace (WR)
Evans (WR)
J. Reed
T. Warren
K. Dinkins (TE)
Shelton (OL redshirt)
K. Saunders-WR redshirt)
K. Wiley (LB redshirt)
J. Cross (TE redshirt)

B. Strange
K. Ellis

Urgent Portal needs:
MLB
Place kicker (?)

Give me your thoughts.
Thought 1: Olu is 19 years old and players this young at the NFLs most demanding position of LT, are usually discouraged simply because of their age...those are grown ass men out there in their late 20s and early 30s in some cases. I think Olu returns.

Thought 1: Olu is 19 years old and players this young at the NFLs most demanding position of LT, are usually discouraged simply because of their age...those are grown ass men out there in their late 20s and early 30s in some cases. I think Olu returns.
We know Olu pretty well. Education is very important to him and family. Will be a bit surprised if he doesn’t come back.

Hopefully are right.

Reactions: PSU Soupy
If you look at the top teams - Alabama, Georgia, OSU etc.... - their 2 and 3 deep are all probably pretty young as the majority of their rosters were all 4 and 5 star recruits and if they're not seeing playing time by their 3rd year in the program, they're usually gone as many of them have been recruited over by younger players.

A. Carter
C. Jacobs
DDS
K. Allen
Singleton
P. Washington
Allar
Theo Johnson
Hakeem Beamon
D.Ellies
C. Izzard
Amin Vanover
Zane Durant
King (DB)
S. Wormley
Z. Wheatley
H. Wallace (WR)
Evans (WR)
J. Reed
T. Warren
K. Dinkins (TE)
Shelton (OL redshirt)
K. Saunders-WR redshirt)
K. Wiley (LB redshirt)
J. Cross (TE redshirt)

B. Strange
K. Ellis

Urgent Portal needs:
MLB
Place kicker (?)

Give me your thoughts.
I do not believe Scruggs has another year. I wish he did, hopefully I'm wrong.

Reactions: rcy4499
We know Olu pretty well. Education is very important to him and family. Will be a bit surprised if he doesn’t come back.
He can still get an education and enter the draft, right?
I'm not saying he leaves early but staying to get an education doesn't make much sense as you can always come back after you earn your money

He can still get an education and enter the draft, right?
I'm not saying he leaves early but staying to get an education doesn't make much sense as you can always come back after you earn your money
An Ohio St fan would probably like him to move on

Hopefully are right.
Not everyone wants to be like Brandon Smith or the other kids who left and didn't even get drafted...and we are thankfully past the idea that Larry Johnson should be advising our kids....it's time for Franklin to start asking kids to stay instead of telling them to leave.

Reactions: Glen
A. Carter
C. Jacobs
DDS
K. Allen
Singleton
P. Washington
Allar
Theo Johnson
Hakeem Beamon
D.Ellies
C. Izzard
Amin Vanover
Zane Durant
King (DB)
S. Wormley
Z. Wheatley
H. Wallace (WR)
Evans (WR)
J. Reed
T. Warren
K. Dinkins (TE)
Shelton (OL redshirt)
K. Saunders-WR redshirt)
K. Wiley (LB redshirt)
J. Cross (TE redshirt)

B. Strange
K. Ellis

Urgent Portal needs:
MLB
Place kicker (?)

Give me your thoughts.

Amor can come back if he wants I believe. Covid year gives him the opportunity if he wants it. Just like Clifford this year.

A. Carter
C. Jacobs
DDS
K. Allen
Singleton
P. Washington
Allar
Theo Johnson
Hakeem Beamon
D.Ellies
C. Izzard
Amin Vanover
Zane Durant
King (DB)
S. Wormley
Z. Wheatley
H. Wallace (WR)
Evans (WR)
J. Reed
T. Warren
K. Dinkins (TE)
Shelton (OL redshirt)
K. Saunders-WR redshirt)
K. Wiley (LB redshirt)
J. Cross (TE redshirt)

B. Strange
K. Ellis

Urgent Portal needs:
MLB
Place kicker (?)

Give me your thoughts.

Geez, you're going to piss off all the posing-trolls with a common sense post like that.

A. Carter
C. Jacobs
DDS
K. Allen
Singleton
P. Washington
Allar
Theo Johnson
Hakeem Beamon
D.Ellies
C. Izzard
Amin Vanover
Zane Durant
King (DB)
S. Wormley
Z. Wheatley
H. Wallace (WR)
Evans (WR)
J. Reed
T. Warren
K. Dinkins (TE)
Shelton (OL redshirt)
K. Saunders-WR redshirt)
K. Wiley (LB redshirt)
J. Cross (TE redshirt)

B. Strange
K. Ellis

Urgent Portal needs:
MLB
Place kicker (?)

Give me your thoughts.
WR and RB needs numbers...the latter especially is really thin

WR and RB needs numbers...the latter especially is really thin
Especially with the recruited RB (Montgomery) from Scanton Prep out in this his senior year with an injury. He may have to redshirt 1st yr @ PSU to continue his rehab. Probably best to recruit another RB for this class.

Reactions: scrivener
Not everyone wants to be like Brandon Smith or the other kids who left and didn't even get drafted...and we are thankfully past the idea that Larry Johnson should be advising our kids....it's time for Franklin to start asking kids to stay instead of telling them to leave.
You have no idea what you are talking about. James rarely tells a kid to leave. In fact the one you mention he strongly encouraged him to stay.

Last edited:
You have no idea what you are talking about. James rarely tells a kid to leave. If fact the one you mention he strongly encourage him to stay.
Yeah, any major CF coach telling a kid to leave is just recruiting suicide especially if the kid is from an area that the school recruits hard

Our RB really isn’t that bad if you have Lee, Singleton and Allen. Is the writing on the wall that Lee is leaving?

Our RB really isn’t that bad if you have Lee, Singleton and Allen. Is the writing on the wall that Lee is leaving?
Whether Lee stays or not, having 3 scholarship RB's on your roster is not ideal. We had 5 just a year ago...and now three, assuming Lee isn't gone already. That is way too low at that position.

Lee isn't coming back. He will save face and stay through the season and then portal the day the seasons ends. This team needs to bring in 3 RB's next year. 2 FR and a portal like Lovett. Problem with that is NS and KA are so damn good that is will be a hard sell. May need to take a Journey Brown type reach and hope they develop.

Lee isn't coming back. He will save face and stay through the season and then portal the day the seasons ends. This team needs to bring in 3 RB's next year. 2 FR and a portal like Lovett. Problem with that is NS and KA are so damn good that is will be a hard sell. May need to take a Journey Brown type reach and hope they develop.
WR need numbers too...Tinsley heads to the draft, and I would guess Parker is more than likely. Unfortunately, no 3rd and 4th WR have truly emerged and that looks like a problematic area next season, especially if Parker is gone.

WR need numbers too...Tinsley heads to the draft, and I would guess Parker is more than likely. Unfortunately, no 3rd and 4th WR have truly emerged and that looks like a problematic area next season, especially if Parker is gone.
absolutely agree.....they better hope Parker stays and that Meiga becomes what they think. really need a few big time portal guys and that seems possible.

There are enough young scholarship WRs on the roster that someone should emerge:

Harrison Wallace -- R.Fr.
Kaden Saunders -- FR
Tyler Johnson -- FR
Anthony Ivey -- FR
Omari Evans -- FR

**note -- Allar is likely to work closely with these guys and see who he likes best

Reading posts from pre- and early-season I was led to believe that our RB and WR rooms were stacked with talent, top-5 ish, the envy of most programs. What the hell happened? Heard the same about our LB room too.

There are enough young scholarship WRs on the roster that someone should emerge:

Harrison Wallace -- R.Fr.
Kaden Saunders -- FR
Tyler Johnson -- FR
Anthony Ivey -- FR
Omari Evans -- FR

**note -- Allar is likely to work closely with these guys and see who he likes best
Yep, a handful of young bodies, and someone's need to emerge...not just someone. That's why I really liked going to the portal to get Tinsley, a veteran who has plenty of experience. It allows the young guys in the room to hopefully develop while playing. But, multiple need to emerge for next yr.

Reactions: royboy
WR need numbers too
Numbers isn't the problem at WR. Productivity perhaps. If anything, I'd say at least 2 WRs leave this off season via portal. I assume Tinsley is gone (out of eligibility). I assume Washington stays (doesn't have the speed to wow at the combine).

Reading posts from pre- and early-season I was led to believe that our RB and WR rooms were stacked with talent, top-5 ish, the envy of most programs. What the hell happened? Heard the same about our LB room too.

I don't think you did, other than an overzealous fan.

RB - high expectations for the freshman, yes. Lee was a known entity, but many assumed he would get passed. Nobody has ever said Ford was going to do big things, ever, in his career. And Holmes RS last year when we couldn't consistently get a 2 yard gain.

WR - Washington was known to be very good, but not considered elite. Tinsley was hopeful to help fill the Dotson void. Everyone knew we needed KLS or Meiga to take the next step. One hasn't and the other has become a pure STer. Wallace has become the #3 (surprise) and none of the true freshman have broken through. The one that has played the most (Evans) was unexpected (Saunders was the projected breakout candidate).

LB - the weakest position on the team since Smith and Brooks decided not to come back. Obvious during the bowl game. Carter has been a pleasant surprise, but nobody talked up our LB. If they did, they are heavily medicated.

Well the RB room is stacked with talent, the stack is just really short. I'd be shocked if Lee didn't portal at the end of the year. Definitely need some more RBs either through portal or recruits.

Seems to be plenty of young WRs. Just need to get them developed.

I'm way more concerned about the OL, DL, and LBs. Doesn't seem to be much help on the way for those already struggling groups. Hope they can pick up some help through the portal after season.

I don't think you did, other than an overzealous fan.
You are likely correct as my memory degrades daily, getting old is a real bitch. Thanks for the breakdown. I just don't remember LB being discussed as much of an issue, and for some reason I recall hearing great things about the RB/WR rooms being loaded.

You are likely correct as my memory degrades daily, getting old is a real bitch. Thanks for the breakdown. I just don't remember LB being discussed as much of an issue, and for some reason I recall hearing great things about the RB/WR rooms being loaded.

We brought in 3 transfers. DE (Chop, good choice to fill pass rush voids), WR (Tinsley, #2 WR from an Air Raid offense, solid get but Dotson was irreplaceable), and OL (Nourzad, flexible depth guy who wanted D1 film).

Being the business that it is, I'd like to have seen more roster management and brought in a LB (preferably a Mike) and a DT (preferably one 1T size and multi-year potential). Between the recruiting class and Tinsley, WR had some expendability.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT