ADVERTISEMENT

Way OT Any Woodworkers here?

STPGopherfan

Gold Member
Aug 10, 2001
Any one here woodwork? If so, do any of you have experience with Jointer/ Planer machines? I am considering purchasing one in the near? future. Jet and Hammer USA(Felder/ pro-sumer line) are possible candidates. I like that you can get segmented cutterheads with both of these units.

Casadei/ Minimax are probably beyond my budget, but would be willing to wait if that truly is the way to go. Due to the small shop area I have, I need to have such a unit because I don't have room for two stand alone units.

Any thoughts?

This post was edited on 3/21 10:19 PM by STPGopherfan

I agree about multi function machines, its been a while, so I dont know

brands as well. I agree with Ned, if you can find an older, quality machine, it may be the way to go. You may have to replace the knives, but so what. Even here in Huntington, we have a guy that sharpens blades, knives etc he also sells machines, if I where in the market, I go see what he has used on maybe a trade in, and pick his brain from there.

Re: Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

I used to be able to do that imitation when I was a kid and my 3 sisters hated it.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Re: Send them this

I just might, although we are in a period of detente after all these years.

Thanks to all for the input. I know what you mean with units that have alignment issues. Partly why I am considering some of the combo units. The Jet seemed to have a pretty solid fence and the bed appeared to be dead flat.

I have to consider all options.The thing I don't like about singular units (jointers) at this time is the biggest I have seen with single phase motors is 6" to 8"width. Jet/ Powermatic has some great units as does Delta(older ones are fantastic). Just am hoping to avoid having to cut boards down to 6". Maybe I should reconsider a belt sander/ planer combo as well.

Regarding our dear friend Woody, I have few Pileated Woodpeckers in the neighborhood. Think of Woody every time I see them.

Depending on how much woodworking you want to do, you can check out Grizzly. They have a showroom up in Muncy. Save on shipping, if you're close.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT