ADVERTISEMENT

WBB is embarrassing

Nitwit

Jul 18, 2001
Pennsylvania
I tried to watch it, but I had to bail. Minn is on pace to score over 100 and leads by over 20 in first half. We don’t run plays, we don’t defend. We don’t block out under the boards as our overweight center is soooo slow. We don’t rebound, and we can’t shoot. All they do is drive under the basket where they are double covered and then throw up a layup that they miss. It’s really dreadful. At least our men’s team appears to play hard. This is really laughable. Washington can’t coach or recruit apparently. She needs to go.

I'm not usually a critic but I have to agree with you. They look totally lost.

We don’t run plays, we don’t defend. We don’t block out under the boards as our overweight center is soooo slow. We don’t rebound, and we can’t shoot.

Other than that, how’s the team doing? ;).

Totally agree that Washington needs to go.

Reactions: BarryPSU
I tried to watch it, but I had to bail. Minn is on pace to score over 100 and leads by over 20 in first half. We don’t run plays, we don’t defend. We don’t block out under the boards as our overweight center is soooo slow. We don’t rebound, and we can’t shoot. All they do is drive under the basket where they are double covered and then throw up a layup that they miss. It’s really dreadful. At least our men’s team appears to play hard. This is really laughable. Washington can’t coach or recruit apparently. She needs to go.

Oh come on.... Just give her 20 or 30 more years and she'll turn things around!!!!

Let me know when this happens and I'll watch another game to see for myself.

Any competent AD would have watched this same scene years ago and found a competent coach. So what does that say about the PSU AD??

Oh come on.... Just give her 20 or 30 more years and she'll turn things around!!!!

Let me know when this happens and I'll watch another game to see for myself.

Any competent AD would have watched this same scene years ago and found a competent coach. So what does that say about the PSU AD??

She's a dumshit, but we knew that already.

Reactions: GregInPitt
Good news is that the best high school womens player in PA has committed to PSU. Washington only got her because the recruit has family members and a grandfather that are die hard PSU people.

I am hoping Washington would be gone before this player gets there next Fall. I pray that the Coquese Washington experiment is finally done after this season.

As Charles Barkley would say, "Coquese is Turrible". Please Sandy, finally do something worthwhile. You've earned the AD praise for doing nothing so far.

Everyone is overreacting. They held Minnesota to under 100. Great defensive effort!

Last edited:
Everyone is overreacting. The held Minnesota to under 100. Great defensive effort!

Only lost 97-67! No triple digits! :D

Penn State is now 10-15, 12th in the big ten with a 3-11 conference record. (Minnesota is 19-7).

You noticed that too huh?

Sandy is afraid to fire her.

Reactions: GregInPitt
That she didn’t waste buy out money on a sport that hardly anyone cares about.

Your post indicates that YOU don't care about BB. But the fact is that BB is the 2nd most popular sport among sports fans. And that includes PSU grads and undergrads. The attendance is not due to lack of interest, but apathy towards 2 pathetic programs. PSU grads and undergrads love to fill out NCAA brackets, but obviously wish the PSU team was in the bracket. Suggesting otherwise if a lie.

Having to eat buy out money is some times just part of the game of getting and keeping competent coaches. And competent AD's are better at that game than the current PSU AD.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Don’t forget that the administration gave her a contract extension when she threatened to go to Mich.. Boy, were they lucky; she is useless.

Reactions: 81b&w and TheGLOV
I believe the topic was WOMEN’s Basketball.
:)

Feel free to solely focus on WOMEN's Basketball if that's your total thing. My comment was on BOTH PSU BASKETBALL programs, which includes WOMEN'S backetball, as both suffer from the same poor coaching and support by the current PSU AD.

Both PSU BB programs have suffered the same lack of support by the current AD, and both have experienced the loss of attendance as they continue on their current paths as bottom feeder B10 programs. And both men's and women's NCAA tournaments have brackets to fill out.... which is a lot more interesting to PSU fans when a PSU team is in the bracket....

I don't see any way Coquese Washington gets a new contract when her current agreement expires at season's end. There almost zero chance she finishes this season with a winning record overall or in the B1G. She had some good years (three consecutive B1G CoY awards, 2012-2014), but since then she's had one winning season and a 44% win percentage to present.

Chambers surviving is 50/50 in my estimation. A lot depends on how many wins we can yet grab before the finish and how much the buyout is on the extension Chambers supposedly signed last summer. The buyout may be low, as Chambers did not have a lot of bargaining leverage. The third factor would be whether Barbour believes that a demonstrably better coach would want to come to Penn State.

Sweet Jeebzus.

The OP Topic was:

"WBB is embarrassing".

And the following (at PSU or nationwide) for Men's BB is in an entirely different stratosphere from the following for Women's BB.
(Any idea what the average D1 attendance is for Women's Hoops?
Hint: "Middle School Gynmasium" :) )
Sweet Jeebzus.

The OP Topic was:

"WBB is embarrassing".

And the following (at PSU or nationwide) for Men's BB is in an entirely different stratosphere from the following for Women's BB.
(Any idea what the average D1 attendance is for Women's Hoops?
Hint: "Middle School Gynmasium" :) )

Topic was not "D1 attendance for Women's Hoops". Feel free to start your own thread on that subject!!

But I'll stick to why BOTH the men's and women's BB team are terrible. And some of the reasons are common to both programs.

Why is this so hard for you to understand?

Won't your wife argue with you today? I'm not going to either.........

Rene Portland may have had some issues but she was a great women's basketball coach at PSU with over 600 wins, 21 NCAA appearances and 1 final four appearance. Under Portland, Penn State women's basketball was a successful program. I wonder if someone like Suzy McConnell would come to PSU from Pitt. I would think PSU could bring in a current coach that is a former PSU player or other notable coach that could rebuild the program.

I'd take Suzie over our coach any day. I think her husband may be tied to the Pittsburgh area, so she may not want to come to PSU to coach.

ANYONE would be better than Coquese.

Suzy had some success at Duquesne which led her to being hired at Pitt. She really didn't have much success at all at Pitt. I think she would only coach in Pittsburgh so that she could stay close to her family and children. Not sure if she still is in that situation, I think PSU really has to look elsewhere - as to where, I am not really sure. I would think it would be a pretty attractive opening for a women's basketball coach - program has had a decent history, excluding the last 5 years; decent conference for WBB; I think they pay Coquese very well; and apparently they put decent money into the program. I really did not know she or the other WBB coaches made this much - several years ago she was tied for 2nd highest Big 10 salary at $ 700,000.00)

Last edited:
Rene Portland may have had some issues but she was a great women's basketball coach at PSU with over 600 wins, 21 NCAA appearances and 1 final four appearance. Under Portland, Penn State women's basketball was a successful program. I wonder if someone like Suzy McConnell would come to PSU from Pitt. I would think PSU could bring in a current coach that is a former PSU player or other notable coach that could rebuild the program.

And she did it all without Lesbo's!

;):eek::D:eek:;)

Suzy McConnell got fired by Pitt at the end of last season. I don't believe she's presently coaching. She was a great PSU WBB player, but not a great coach. There are many better qualified candidates to succeed Coquese than Suzy McConnell-Serio.
Yeah, McConnell’s tenure at Pitt was more or less a disaster, punctuated by bad recruiting and heavy roster turnover. I believe all of her children are grown up now, so I don’t think that would be an issue - but there’s also no indication based on her college coaching resume that she’d be any better than what we have now.

Anyone who ever played a sport at PSU seems to get overvalued by fans when considering coaching changes. I’d rather we just get the best coach we can irrespective of the candidate’s undergraduate playing experience, such as we did in wrestling for example.

I don't see any way Coquese Washington gets a new contract when her current agreement expires at season's end. There almost zero chance she finishes this season with a winning record overall or in the B1G. She had some good years (three consecutive B1G CoY awards, 2012-2014), but since then she's had one winning season and a 44% win percentage to present.

If there was any chance that she’d be back next season, her contract would have already been extended. If only for recruiting purposes, they would have extended her contract to avoid the uncertainty. The fact that her contract hasn’t been extended means that she’s got less than a month remaining as the PSU head coach.

Reactions: Nitwit
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT