ADVERTISEMENT

We are a spoiled fan base…………

CoastGuard2018

Jul 25, 2017
There are things about CJF that drive me nuts and I certainly don’t believe he is beyond criticism. Having said that if he were to leave I fully believe there are a lot of us that would eventually regret it. This is a much more difficult place to win in todays college football than many realize or want to be realistic about. Lest people forget all the times Paterno’s teams were manhandled by Michigan. They were just better than us today and this season.

There are things about CJF that drive me nuts and I certainly don’t believe he is beyond criticism. Having said that if he were to leave I fully believe there are a lot of us that would eventually regret it. This is a much more difficult place to win in todays college football than many realize or want to be realistic about.
We're spoiled? No Nattys since '86. 0 playoff appearances. Brutal sanctions that handcuffed us for years. Lay off the weed.

We're spoiled? No Nattys since '86. 0 playoff apperances. Brutal sanctions that handcuffed us for years. Lay off the weed.
We're spoiled? No Nattys since '86. 0 playoff apperances. Brutal sanctions that handcuffed us for years. Lay off the weed.
I mean in terms of thinking that someone else is going to come in here and bring things back to ‘82 and ‘86 levels. Franklin is a winning coach who recruits well and goes to bowls. He has his weaknesses but runs a clean program and works very hard to keep the program relevant.

I mean in terms of thinking that someone else is going to come in here and bring things back to ‘82 and ‘86 levels. Franklin is a winning coach who recruits well and goes to bowls. He has his weaknesses but runs a clean program and works very hard to keep the program relevant.
Franklin has won nothing.

Reactions: MacNit07
There are things about CJF that drive me nuts and I certainly don’t believe he is beyond criticism. Having said that if he were to leave I fully believe there are a lot of us that would eventually regret it. This is a much more difficult place to win in todays college football than many realize or want to be realistic about. Lest people forget all the times Paterno’s teams were manhandled by Michigan. They were just better than us today and this season.
Good point. 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004..

Reactions: john4psu
I don't hate JF. Good man and does things right. But it is clear he has a ceiling. He is not a good XOs coach and he manages games pretty poorly when it counts. I can't remember a good OL since Paterno. There is no guarantee that a new coach will do better, but if PSU fans want to compete for a B1G championship and potentially a NC, I don't think JF is the guy, and especially not at 8.5M.

This is a terrible mindset. We are seventh all time and winds right in front of Tennessee and USC. Both of those programs have burn through several Head coaches since they’re glory years of Pete Carroll and Phil Fulmer, however they didn’t settle for mediocrity and neither should we. Did you not just watch Tennessee beat Alabama? Wouldn’t that be an awesome feeling more than once every six or seven years

PSU has a top 10 fan base and a top 10 salaried coach who has recruited top 10 talent. I don't think we're spoiled because we expect to be a top 10 team.

Relevant? PSU has not been relevant since 1994. Coach Franklin does not get an A for effort. He gets paid a ton of money to win and bring PSU back to prominence. That means beating rivals like OSU, Michigan, and MSU. Franklin has a losing record against all three of these rivals. For $8.5 million, PSU fans deserves so much more.

Relevant? PSU has not been relevant since 1994. Coach Franklin does not get an A for effort. He gets paid a ton of money to win and bring PSU back to prominence. That means beating rivals like OSU, Michigan, and MSU. Franklin has a losing record against all three of these rivals. For $8.5 million, PSU fans deserves so much more.
Well said.

There's half a season to go with five winnable games...let's see how it plays out

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
Sandy should pay Franklin's buyout, The idea she gave him an extension during 2 mediocre years was just stupid. This year should have been his contract year with new AD. Sandy got played, Franklin knew that Barbour was retiring and wanted the extension before new AD came in with a different perspective and expectations . USC was not going to bring in a coach playing .500 ball the last few years.
His press conference after the game was a joke. He recruits the players, he oversees the weight training and conditioning but commented that they need to get bigger. That is on him. He also said he doesn't believe to be critical towards the team after a loss. He's not coaching Pee Wee football,these are young men playing for a school and fan base that expects a better effort than what we witnessed. Did he give the team participation trophies on the plane ride home.?? I'm tired of his routine. It's not working.

Its not so much the backs. Its the lineman. People need to start giving credit where credit is due.
In OUR case it's three numbers, actually 4 numbers: 43, 0, 41, and 51. Those four were beaten beyond recognition out there yesterday.

Its not so much the backs. Its the lineman. People need to start giving credit where credit is due.
Actually, it is the back with the speed to hit the off tackle, counter and outside running plays, the linemen who easily dominate our massively undersized (other than PJ who can only work in a phonebooth) defensive line and our poorly coached linebackers.

Actually, it is the back with the speed to hit the off tackle, counter and outside running plays, the linemen who easily dominate our massively undersized (other than PJ who can only work in a phonebooth) defensive line and our poorly coached linebackers.
I have no idea how you fix it in a week either. To win this game this week we will need 28 points or so.

I have no idea how you fix it in a week either. To win this game this week we will need 28 points or so.
You can't fix what is wrong in one week. As far as the offensive is concerned, not in one or even two off-seasons either. We are 1.5 years into a four year rebuilding project on offense. Two years to recruit enough linemen to populate a two deep and begin developing them. Two more years to get them the experience they need to succeed and build depth for the future. There are other challenges. Luckily, Franklin has proven he can recruit running backs, but we need another QB with the skillset to run the offense. Allar is the path to the future but we have no player behind him if CV hits the portal as most expect and Smolik decommits. Pribula will never play a down at QB. If he does, it will look like last year's Iowa game with Roberson. Beyond the line and potential QB problems, we still need to find a legitimate #1 receiver.

Defensively, I wouldn't have hired Manny Diaz. Our defensive problems are entirely of our own making. Look at what Kirby Smart has done. Look at what John Harbaugh has done since his time at Stanford. Their defenses aren't wed to a fixed system like ours is. The right coordinator could turn around the front seven in an offseason with the talent that is here. There is a reason why most of our ends play outside linebacker in the NFL. Ellies and Izzard both demonstrated they could hold up against the run last year after PJ went down. Start there. I posted this in another thread. Go with a two gap scheme which allows you to move back and forth between an even and odd front based on talent. It is what Bama, Georgia and Michigan all do. It is what USC did under Pete Carroll. Notre Dame did it under Lou Holtz. Heck, Diaz could make two changes right now that would yield some results. Move Beamon to 5 tech, slide Izzard into the 3.

Reactions: Parkerdam555
You can't fix what is wrong in one week. As far as the offensive is concerned, not in one or even two off-seasons either. We are 1.5 years into a four year rebuilding project on offense. Two years to recruit enough linemen to populate a two deep and begin developing them. Two more years to get them the experience they need to succeed and build depth for the future. There are other challenges. Luckily, Franklin has proven he can recruit running backs, but we need another QB with the skillset to run the offense. Allar is the path to the future but we have no player behind him if CV hits the portal as most expect and Smolik decommits. Pribula will never play a down at QB. If he does, it will look like last year's Iowa game with Roberson. Beyond the line and potential QB problems, we still need to find a legitimate #1 receiver.

Defensively, I wouldn't have hired Manny Diaz. Our defensive problems are entirely of our own making. Look at what Kirby Smart has done. Look at what John Harbaugh has done since his time at Stanford. Their defenses aren't wed to a fixed system like ours is. The right coordinator could turn around the front seven in an offseason with the talent that is here. There is a reason why most of our ends play outside linebacker in the NFL. Ellies and Izzard both demonstrated they could hold up against the run last year after PJ went down. Start there. I posted this in another thread. Go with a two gap scheme which allows you to move back and forth between an even and odd front based on talent. It is what Bama, Georgia and Michigan all do. It is what USC did under Pete Carroll. Notre Dame did it under Lou Holtz. Heck, Diaz could make two changes right now that would yield some results. Move Beamon to 5 tech, slide Izzard into the 3.
Excellent analysis and scheme in a multitude of areas seems to need fixing. But, still doesn't make up for what JF said postgame that we are vastly undersized at the LOS...now that is his fault, but Izzard and Ellies are smaller than u would like. NOTHING will truly change until he recruits and develops the DT and OL like he does DB and RB...his favorite glamour positions. We are a soft football program without an ounce of physicality. I doubt we leave lasting effects on team's we play for the next week from the standpoint of bumps and bruised. It's so frustrating the annual crappy performance losses...what's worse is we've lost the soul of what used to take place on the field....poise and toughness.

Reactions: psu00
I got spoiled, or encourage by listening to local talk radio saying the undersized (tiny) defensive line wouldn't be a problem. I fear Penn State will get run over for many years to come because of Franklins poor recruiting in that area.
This season is going to play out the way I had originally figured. The teams they have played so far just suck!

We recruit too many Brandon Smiths and Curtis Jacobs and no longer get Paul Poslusny , Sean Lee types.
Athletes with high spark scores and low football instincts that don’t develop

Excellent analysis and scheme in a multitude of areas seems to need fixing. But, still doesn't make up for what JF said postgame that we are vastly undersized at the LOS...now that is his fault, but Izzard and Ellies are smaller than u would like. NOTHING will truly change until he recruits and develops the DT and OL like he does DB and RB...his favorite glamour positions. We are a soft football program without an ounce of physicality. I doubt we leave lasting effects on team's we play for the next week from the standpoint of bumps and bruised. It's so frustrating the annual crappy performance losses...what's worse is we've lost the soul of what used to take place on the field....poise and toughness.
These are things I have been seeing literally for years. There are some band aids we can throw on the defense if Franklin were willing to go there but he isn't as evidenced by his hiring practices. At least he has got past some of his initial failures by hiring balanced position coaches like Poindexter and Stubblefield. Too bad he still distributes jobs the way he does. He can have 10 assistant coaches. Why do we have coordinators with multiple rolls? OC/QB and DC/Inside Linebackers? Special Teams/Outside Linebackers? Just hire a coach to work with a specific position group.

As high as we were after Auburn, we are three times the opposite today. While I did not expect this team to go undefeated, I expected so much more yesterday.

This is an all-time shameful performance within my span of college student to 57 year old man:

Texas and USC in k8ckoff Classics

At UM in 2016 and vs UM in the rain in 97?

Miami kicking our ass after Adam walked in

OSU vs BillO at night

24-3 bowl loss to Stanford

And yes...the MSU lineman TD game

At the end of the year we may have the record most expected...but losses like this are unacceptable.

As high as we were after Auburn, we are three times the opposite today. While I did not expect this team to go undefeated, I expected so much more yesterday.

This is an all-time shameful performance within my span of college student to 57 year old man:

Texas and USC in k8ckoff Classics

At UM in 2016 and vs UM in the rain in 97?

Miami kicking our ass after Adam walked in

OSU vs BillO at night

24-3 bowl loss to Stanford

And yes...the MSU lineman TD game

At the end of the year we may have the record most expected...but losses like this are unacceptable.
I expected 7 and 5 or 8 and 4. Thinking 8 and 4 looks pretty likely, with the Gophers injury situation, maybe we can pull the upset on Saturday. Yes, it would be an upset if Minny were at full strength.

Franklin has won nothing.
A Big 10 Championship and two Major Bowl games.

noOKXJJ.gif

Reactions: jimarnp
I posted last year that Franklin commented that they were going to change some of the practice routine to try to avoid injuries. He wasn't specific but to me that meant less live action.
Steel sharpens Steel. Harbaugh is old school, I guarantee you that the Wolverines lines are banging heads against each other. Michigan toughest competition for has been at their practices .

2005, 2008, and 2016 we weren't relevant? Could you be more wrong?

Reactions: papa_ed and jimarnp
A Big 10 Championship and two Major Bowl games.

noOKXJJ.gif
He backed into a Big Ten Championship game when we were the third best team in the East and one of the major bowl games was against a Memphis team that only got their because some feel the system is unfair to smaller conferences.

2005, 2008, and 2016 we weren't relevant? Could you be more wrong?

A reminder of facts for you: zero national championship games and zero play-off appearances for those years you mentioned. The last National Championship talk involving PSU was 1994.

Reactions: scrivener
This is a terrible mindset. We are seventh all time and winds right in front of Tennessee and USC. Both of those programs have burn through several Head coaches since they’re glory years of Pete Carroll and Phil Fulmer, however they didn’t settle for mediocrity and neither should we. Did you not just watch Tennessee beat Alabama? Wouldn’t that be an awesome feeling more than once every six or seven years
Do you realize how bad TN program has been the last 15 years or so.

A reminder of facts for you: zero national championship games and zero play-off appearances for those years you mentioned. The last National Championship talk involving PSU was 1994.
So you're only relevant if you play in national championship games or make the playoffs? Do the other 128 Division I college football teams, their players, their fans, their coaching staffs and alumni know? Maybe you should tell them they are irrelevant.

ADVERTISEMENT