ADVERTISEMENT

We are a spoiled fan base…………

If you are a member of the MAC, then yes, winning your conference matters.

It is absurd and delusional to say otherwise.
To think that any MAC team had winning a Natty as their primary goal is delusional.

Miami OH vs Ohio is a big rivalry...I learned this from a Redhawk coworker with a Buck The Fobcats t shirt.

Bowling Green and Toledo are located very close to each other...a buddy who worked in Toledo told me it was their Backyard Brawl.

Winning those games "matters" to players and fans and winning their conference is an admirable goal and sign of accomplishment.

The overwhelming majority of D1 teams have no prayer of winning a Natty- should 85 teams just shutter their programs?

Franklin has seemed to cleaned up his coaching errors. He recruits well and gets good position coaches to come onboard. But I’m miffed as to why or how he’s not been able to get out OL issues resolved.

From day one they don't even have a shot to make the playoff which is a huge problem that exists in no other sport

Exactly.

So why play if it doesn't matter for so many teams? There are hundreds of reasons...which takes us back to the start of this post.

"We Are" spoiled. Hoping that this batch of young stars gets us back to more consistent national prominence. If not, then our Coach should have to answer some tough questions, as should our AD.

Many of my favorite life moments involve PSU and football is a constant reminder of my years @ State. I was in Beaver Stadium when we clinched vs MSU. The Big 10 East Championship is more important than most leagues.

I went to the 94 Rose Bowl, which was a great experience. We did all we could but Nebraska got the Natty. That game still mattered.

After the embarrassment vs Michigan, and eventhough the opposing starting qb was put, to 107,000 last night's game mattered.

College football is loosing its way. The championship or you're irrelevant mentality will kill it.

if it does not happen, the sport as we know it will die within 10 years

it will still exist, but it will essentially be pro boxing

writers will rank teams based on how much they pump up next week's games, which to some extent happens already.

big games will be streaming on a service that has a price varying by game. the biggest ones will cost more than $20 to watch. basically pay per view for the die hards who still care

also, the mega-conferences are going to be unstable coalitions that collapse within a short period of time amid infighting over how the money is split

And if are ate enough of a "winner" to be in the Mega Conference, but you don't win many games, does that make you a "loser"?

Is it like soccer where you rotate out the bottom teams for the championship of FCS/1AA?

no, it is not like anything in other sports. it is like a coalition that exists because each participant agreed on a share of the money. but as soon as one participant isn't happy with their share it fails to be stable

Yep...
or someone feels like their own goals are greater than the whole: witness Longhorn Network and Notre Dame. The football arms race may lead to having fewer teams to beat...and will kill the sport.

Folks in Kansas are sure having a good time this season. They won't make the Playoffs but will remember this year forever.

Reactions: john4psu
Yesterday I invested 18+ hours to go to West Point for the Army vs UL Monroe game. Gorgeous autumn day. Great tailgating and visits with my buddies daughter who is a senior (the last of his 3 to go there).

Post-game tailgating and Playoff Baseball/ PSU football on tv at The Firstie-essentially Senior Bar and the only place where Cadets who are of age can be like normal college students.

Listened to the end of the games on the radio heading down the Turnpike. What college football was is more than Quinn Ewers million dollar NIL deal only to transfer home and lead a struggling team.

I agree with the earlier poster...10 Yeats and it may be gone. I'll be 67 and will probably spend my Fall Saturdays fishing.

I’lol give you one good win in years. Still waiting for him to win with a team full of his players.
LOL. Championship game against Wisconsin wasn't a good win?

Multiple NY6 bowl victories not good wins?

I think you better sit down and contemplate your own ignorance for awhile, Super Chief.

Reactions: john4psu
You compete to win.
Compete is "strive to gain or win something by defeating or establishing superiority over others who are trying to do the same:"
I don't running a marathon to be a sport if that makes you feel better or worse I'm not sure.
They key in that definition is "strive to". Are you suggesting that PSU is not trying to win its games?

You do you, but you have a very unhealthy attitude towards sports and I am glad you were never on any of my hockey teams.

Why does it matter? What does it do for you if you aren't in the playoff? You get a bowl game against someone from the Sun Belt in mid-December or right after New Year's? Is that a reward?
For MAC and Sun Belt teams, a conference championship and decent bowl game is a reward. Nobody from those conferences are making a 4 team and likely a 12 team playoff. Completely different expectations and a completely different level of football.

a 12-team playoff is a dream come true for this program

we would have a few more national championships today if that always existed. '94 is a no brainer and i also believe the '91 team would have beaten anyone by bowl season
For us older fans, 68/69 and 73 should be included as well.

They key in that definition is "strive to". Are you suggesting that PSU is not trying to win its games?

You do you, but you have a very unhealthy attitude towards sports and I am glad you were never on any of my hockey teams.
Are you kidding me? I honestly don't know if this is a joke or not
I was a captain as a sophomore in HS--CAPTAIN--try again

For MAC and Sun Belt teams, a conference championship and decent bowl game is a reward. Nobody from those conferences are making a 4 team and likely a 12 team playoff. Completely different expectations and a completely different level of football.
Which is why we need a 24 team playoff like FCS so they have something to play for.

Are you kidding me? I honestly don't know if this is a joke or not
I was a captain as a sophomore in HS--CAPTAIN--try again
I'm not doubting your hockey prowess, but I wouldn't want you on my team (especially a beer league team) because of your unhealthy views on competition.

I'm not doubting your hockey prowess, but I wouldn't want you on my team (especially a beer league team) because of your unhealthy views on competition.
Yes, even in a beer league I expect effort but at FBS level there's no excuse for not winning. If anyone on my roster wasn't most concerned about winning they'd be "encouraged" to see what's available in the portal

24 teams is far too many and would make the regular season basically meaningless.
Why is 24 too much when it works great in FCS?
And the regular season wouldn't be meaningless. Every game matters as opposed to no out when you have 2 losses you're pretty much out. See 2016. The majority of G5 teams never have a chance to make the playoff--this fixes that.
10 conference winners--14 at large spots. It would be uber-competitive to make the playoff.
The worst part about college football is this assumption that teams need to run the table. This enables teams to improve throughout the season. No other sport is as ridiculous as FBS with about 3% of the teams making the playoff. It's stupid and antiquated and needs to change drastically. 12 is a good start and within 5 years of that we'll see 24.

Why is 24 too much when it works great in FCS?
And the regular season wouldn't be meaningless. Every game matters as opposed to no out when you have 2 losses you're pretty much out. See 2016. The majority of G5 teams never have a chance to make the playoff--this fixes that.
10 conference winners--14 at large spots. It would be uber-competitive to make the playoff.
The worst part about college football is this assumption that teams need to run the table. This enables teams to improve throughout the season. No other sport is as ridiculous as FBS with about 3% of the teams making the playoff. It's stupid and antiquated and needs to change drastically. 12 is a good start and within 5 years of that we'll see 24.
FBS and FCS are not the same thing. The playoff should be 8 teams.

Yes, even in a beer league I expect effort but at FBS level there's no excuse for not winning. If anyone on my roster wasn't most concerned about winning they'd be "encouraged" to see what's available in the portal
You mistake "not being concerned about winning" with realizing that there are other positives that come from competing other than just winning. Your attitude is completely wrong and I would never recruit a player like you for my team.

You mistake "not being concerned about winning" with realizing that there are other positives that come from competing other than just winning. Your attitude is completely wrong and I would never recruit a player like you for my team.
And I would never recruit a player like you on my team. I don't understand how you don't comprehend that. You continually try to claim that your approach is the only acceptable one. It's not--especially when there's millions of dollars tied to the successful of the program on a yearly basis. Like it or not, college football is big business.

Reactions: MacNit07
And I would never recruit a player like you on my team. I don't understand how you don't comprehend that. You continually try to claim that your approach is the only acceptable one. It's not--especially when there's millions of dollars tied to the successful of the program on a yearly basis. Like it or not, college football is big business.
LOL. I get that your opinion is different than mine. But you are trying to make the college game more like the NFL. Why? We already have the NFL.

Let college sports be college sports. Marching bands, homecoming, bowl games, rivalry games, trophy games...don't mess with a good thing to try to satisfy your desire to make an NFL Jr.

LOL. I get that your opinion is different than mine. But you are trying to make the college game more like the NFL. Why? We already have the NFL.

Let college sports be college sports. Marching bands, homecoming, bowl games, rivalry games, trophy games...don't mess with a good thing to try to satisfy your desire to make an NFL Jr.
Why do you keep talking about the NFL? I'm making it like every other college sport. Marching bands can perform in an expanded playoffs, rivalry games still exist, trophy games (the million that there are) still exist, homecoming still exits... just get rid of bowls which haven't made sense since...i don't know...the 50s or 60s. Remember even Paterno always wanted a playoff.

Lol NY6 bowl victories good could be. However they are watered down with the playoff system? Memphi, Washington and BC bowl wins. Lol that is not a great list of victories. Loses to Arkansas, Kentucky and USC not a great list to lose to either. Wisconsin was a nice come from behind win but hardy a great win. With that said 2016 was Franklin’s best season. Ball bounced his way all year. Unfortunately he has come up short since then.

LOL. Championship game against Wisconsin wasn't a good win?

Multiple NY6 bowl victories not good wins?

I think you better sit down and contemplate your own ignorance for awhile, Super Chief.
No defense for his ineptness with player development. You kindly passed right by with no substantive defense for his performance. You need to look no further then your mirror to find an ignorant person.

OL issues have plagued this program for 20 years

nobody has been able to build a consistently good OL at PSU during that time

I have to admit, I do not get it

i used to blame the OL coaches, but now we have seen a succession of OL coaches all have the same problem
Your on point with the consistant OL issues. But it has never been this bad year after year.

Bad can be covered with decent play calling. Both Joe and James have/had a very vanilla offense that teams always seem to read where the ball in going. With OL from PSU in the pros you would think PennState had a better OL over the years.

Sorry…and I am truly sorry to say this…but College Football as you describe is going, going, gone…players are now paid millions…coaches multi-millions.

Well on it’s way to NFL minor league.

It’s already been reduced to 3-4 relevant teams.

Bad can be covered with decent play calling. Both Joe and James have/had a very vanilla offense that teams always seem to read where the ball in going. With OL from PSU in the pros you would think PennState had a better OL over the years.
Somehow, with Joe tipping his plays, he assembled the greatest offensive team in NCAA history along with compiling the most wins in NCAA history - including the best big game/bowl game record of any coach.

If only that vanilla offense could have been tweaked.

Reactions: creamery freak
No defense for his ineptness with player development. You kindly passed right by with no substantive defense for his performance. You need to look no further then your mirror to find an ignorant person.
WTF are you talking about? Franklin (and staff) do well with player development. You are clueless.

WTF are you talking about? Franklin (and staff) do well with player development. You are clueless.
lol. Not really. Take off you Franklin glasses. PennState has had many players drafted late who have outperformed their draft position. Coaching in the NFL developed them. Most notably on the offensive line. You must be one of those Franklin Fan Boys to see anything different.

The idea that you think winning a big ten championship is meaningless just demonstrates that you are:

a) not a PSU fan
b) not a college football fan
c) completely clueless
It was awesome winning the Big Ten so soon after sanctions, but its Playoff or bust for me now.

lol. Not really. Take off you Franklin glasses. PennState has had many players drafted late who have outperformed their draft position. Coaching in the NFL developed them. Most notably on the offensive line. You must be one of those Franklin Fan Boys to see anything different.
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

Many of the guys in the NFL would not have been drafted if it was not for their development at PSU.

Reactions: 81b&w
ADVERTISEMENT