ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting WeAre….Better — 2023 LB Kaveion Keys commits to PSU

Richie O

Staff
Mar 21, 2016
South Amboy, NJ
www.pennstate.rivals.com
Wish we had a coach that could recruit 😕
Franklin and staff are terrific recruiters of athletes. Less so in recruiting difference-making football players. 4-14 vs UM and OSU. No matter how much or how often you Franklin-philes pump him up, 4-14 and 1 conference title in 9 seasons speaks far louder, and continuously.

Reactions: ouirpsu
Franklin and staff are terrific recruiters of athletes. Less so in recruiting difference-making football players. 4-14 vs UM and OSU. No matter how much or how often you Franklin-philes pump him up, 4-14 and 1 conference title in 9 seasons speaks far louder, and continuously.
You can always start a thread where the cryers converge to cry about Franklin's B10 title record. That way it would be easier to ignore you. But that is not the subject of this thread.

Last edited:
We deserve better 😔

Reactions: GregInPitt
The staff seems to like this type of "tweener" linebacker. They've landed 3-4 very similar players in the last 3 classes. Hopefully, one or two of these guys adds good weight to compete against the big boys of the B1G. Even Rojas is a little light at 6' 1.5"- 200lbs.

2023 - Kaveion Keys 6'3" 205 (#21 LB - .9077 composite)
2022 - Keon Wylie 6'2" 206 lbs (#40 LB - .8889 composite) Lost weight since he got to campus a year ago
2021 - Jamari Buddin 6'2" 216 lbs (#40 LB - .8932 composite) same weight with 2 years in strength program

Reactions: NedFromYork
The staff seems to like this type of "tweener" linebacker. They've landed 3-4 very similar players in the last 3 classes. Hopefully, one or two of these guys adds good weight to compete against the big boys of the B1G. Even Rojas is a little light at 6' 1.5"- 200lbs.

2023 - Kaveion Keys 6'3" 205 (#21 LB - .9077 composite)
2022 - Keon Wylie 6'2" 206 lbs (#40 LB - .8889 composite) Lost weight since he got to campus a year ago
2021 - Jamari Buddin 6'2" 216 lbs (#40 LB - .8932 composite) same weight with 2 years in strength program
Wylie gained weight and was listed on the roster at 218.

gopsusports.com and 247sports roster has him at 206
Yep, and they don't seem to update weights during the season.

Believe what you want, but I'd put the over/under on Wylie's weight currently at 215-220. He's not just sitting around waiting for the winter S&C program to begin.

We won't find out until a Spring practice roster is released after winter S&C concludes. He may be 225 by then.

And that will more than likely be what happens with Rojas and Keys.....

Reactions: NittanyChris
Yep, and they don't seem to update weights during the season.

Believe what you want, but I'd put the over/under on Wylie's weight currently at 215-220. He's not just sitting around waiting for the winter S&C program to begin.

We won't find out until a Spring practice roster is released after winter S&C concludes. He may be 225 by then.

And that will more than likely be what happens with Rojas and Keys.....
I hope what you are saying is true. They all need to be at least 225lbs.

I hope what you are saying is true. They all need to be at least 225lbs.
How bout we send these kids some Dairy Queen gift cards. A blizzard every day after class will do the trick!

Being serious, 20 lbs isn’t that much for kids maturing physically to add as good weight. I get more concerned about 360 pound linemen.

Wish we had a coach that could recruit 😕
I think we're seeing the type of defense that Franklin wants -- a premium on length and speed and a reliance on weight training to add bulk and strength (which often works, but not with all kids).

We've gotten better at CB and Safety, and seem to have a number of guys who can rush from the outside. Manny Diaz has put together good plans for the personnel; doubt whether he stays long, but 2023 Defense could be very good (as can the Offense). Plenty of Sacks, Tackles for Loss likely, and fewer long completions allowed.

False once you compare recruiting. OSU has out recruited PSU for over a decade. At LEAST 10 out of the last 10. UM has out recruited psu too. Facts.

Ps. Why did Joe have a losing record vs OSU?

gopsusports.com and 247sports roster has him at 206
Interesting as that weight was dropped over the course of the season. He has a long ways to go then.

FWIW, the lineman dropped a lot of weight over the year. Shelton though put on 17 pounds where most lost 25 or so.

Crystal Ball says it’s PSU. VT was 3-8 this year and PSU is on the verge of a title run. A for effort by Coach Pry but other than a big fish in a small pond scenario, all signs point to PSU. We’ll find out soon enough. We have some phenomenal LBs coming in! Now, about those DTs…
How can you say PSU is on the verge of a title run? We don't even know who's coming back next year.

Interesting as that weight was dropped over the course of the season. He has a long ways to go then.

FWIW, the lineman dropped a lot of weight over the year. Shelton though put on 17 pounds where most lost 25 or so.
Not that interesting. Players burn tons of calories. 17 year olds are also still growing. He will be at 220 by fall. He might be 220 after Christmas dinner. 110lb freshman cheerleaders put on 15 lbs.

All I can say is enough, Franklin is a credit to the University. I'm sure it has happened but when was the last time one of his players got in trouble? At the season's beginning you NEVER expected 10 - 2 and the Rose Bowl. What are they saying at Purdue about their coach, Oh, he just walked out on them. MSU made a huge coaching error, Iowa can't get rid of their fossil, spoke with some Iowa fans here in FL, was asked if I wanted to contribute to his buyout. Illinois made a good hire, but he is not "flashy", Wisconsin and Nebraska may have made good hires, but I suspect 8 - 4, 9 -3 would be considered a successful season for both.

Reactions: jimarnp and LMTLION
Not that interesting. Players burn tons of calories. 17 year olds are also still growing. He will be at 220 by fall. He might be 220 after Christmas dinner. 110lb freshman cheerleaders put on 15 lbs.

Considering he was 218 before fall this year I would hope he can add 2 pounds.

False once you compare recruiting. OSU has out recruited PSU for over a decade. At LEAST 10 out of the last 10. UM has out recruited psu too. Facts.

Yeah, we get your standard pessimism. PSU is recruiting well. It's a leading indicator for success.

As to vs Ohio State, what makes you think their 2022 class was better than that of PSU?

Reactions: 81b&w
Almost matched our conference title total in the first 20 years in the conference.

Reactions: CbusLion10
Yeah, we get your standard pessimism. PSU is recruiting well. It's a leading indicator for success.

As to vs Ohio State, what makes you think their 2022 class was better than that of PSU?
Osu was ranked higher by rivals and 247. They have been ranked higher every year for at least a decade.

All I can say is enough, Franklin is a credit to the University. I'm sure it has happened but when was the last time one of his players got in trouble? At the season's beginning you NEVER expected 10 - 2 and the Rose Bowl. What are they saying at Purdue about their coach, Oh, he just walked out on them. MSU made a huge coaching error, Iowa can't get rid of their fossil, spoke with some Iowa fans here in FL, was asked if I wanted to contribute to his buyout. Illinois made a good hire, but he is not "flashy", Wisconsin and Nebraska may have made good hires, but I suspect 8 - 4, 9 -3 would be considered a successful season for both.
Wait till OSU loses in the playoffs, especially if the team they lose to turns out to be Michigan! Buckeye nation will be calling for his head, and if it's twice to UM in a season...bye bye!

Osu was ranked higher by rivals and 247. They have been ranked higher every year for at least a decade.
And not just by a little. Their recruiting has been on par with Alabama and Georgia which is well above anyone else.

Wait till OSU loses in the playoffs, especially if the team they lose to turns out to be Michigan! Buckeye nation will be calling for his head, and if it's twice to UM in a season...bye bye!
Not rooting for either to advance but if Ohio State were to lose twice to Michigan in the same season it might be worth it. That would be pretty hilarious.

Well, they are certainly going to lose, it's just not going to be to Michigan for a second time. There is no way that they get past Georgia.

Sorry, I was actually talking about football players, not recruiting gurus. Do you just blindly assume recruiting rankings are absolute predictors?

You know -- Drew Allar, Nicholas Singleton, Kaytron Allen, Drew Shelton, Abdul Carter, and others in the 2022 class. Does Ohio State have a better 2022 recruiting class than that?

Sorry, I was actually talking about football players, not recruiting gurus. Do you just blindly assume recruiting rankings are absolute predictors?

You know -- Drew Allar, Nicholas Singleton, Kaytron Allen, Drew Shelton, Abdul Carter, and others in the 2022 class. Does Ohio State have a better 2022 recruiting class than that?
No one doubts Franklin can recruit at a decent level but:

1. He almost always strikes out on 5* talent, which is the difference between 10 win-also-ran seasons and titles.

2. He routinely loses to teams with lesser talent, which indicates he cannot develop the talent he gets.

3. He blew it against OSU this year, yet again, and will lose in Cbus next year with OSU starting a new QB.

It is nice to stay positive with recruiting hype, after all, hope springs eternal, but year after year of getting their asses kicked by OSU and Michigan, and missing playoffs, is the current reality.

1. He almost always strikes out on 5* talent, which is the difference between 10 win-also-ran seasons and titles.

2. He routinely loses to teams with lesser talent, which indicates he cannot develop the talent he gets.

3. He blew it against OSU this year, yet again, and will lose in Cbus next year with OSU starting a new QB.

It is nice to stay positive with recruiting hype, but year after year of getting their asses kicked by OSU and Michigan, and missing playoffs, is the current reality.
The difference has really been at QB. We’ve done week at every other position but when you rate our QBs against tOSUs you see a massive disparity. Our kids are plucky game managers. Theirs are Heisman finalists

SHORE!!!! Where ya been?? I've been coming here every so often for a looong time and used to be entertained by your perpetual misery. However, I haven't seen your handle on here for years. I only noticed a pungent odor coming from my phone and it appears the return of your buffoonery caused the rancid stench. Good to have you back you miserable son of a bitch! :)

It is nice to stay positive with recruiting hype, after all, hope springs eternal, but year after year of getting their asses kicked by OSU and Michigan, and missing playoffs, is the current reality.
With regard to #2, who’s better, a fifth year 3 star or a freshman 4 star? This ridiculous argument that Franklin loses to teams with lesser talent is very short sighted based solely on recruiting rankings.

Which "teams with lesser talent" did Franklin lose to this season??

"routinely"
Nope,

Everybody loses to teams with inferior talent at some point. It's a ridiculous standard to hold a coach to. Being critical is just human nature and comparison is just how we entertain ourselves, but alas here we are.

Even at the tail end of his career, Joe went into Columbus and beat Top-10 O$U team.

Earlier, he went into Columbus (and in bowl games) and obliterated O$U. Try again.

ADVERTISEMENT