ADVERTISEMENT

Well...44 unanswered points isn't quite as good as 48...

JoeHomsey

Feb 6, 2005
Bellwood
But a huge unanswered string of points against Pitt was the kickstart the Lions used as a springboard to a national championship (82). That victory was at the end of the '81 season, but the abundance of confidence it generated spilled over to the '82 season.

I feel at least a little bit partially responsible for that fervor. I was the individual who designed and sold tens of thousands of 48-14 buttons. I'd walk around through Lion pregame tailgates, hold the butt in up and exclaim, "this is the ultimate $hitt on Pitt button". Sold a thousand a game...all I could carry. As a hitchhiking bartender, without a car, living in Altoona, hitchhiking was how I got to the game.

But a huge unanswered string of points against Pitt was the kickstart the Lions used as a springboard to a national championship (82). That victory was at the end of the '81 season, but the abundance of confidence it generated spilled over to the '82 season.

I feel at least a little bit partially responsible for that fervor. I was the individual who designed and sold tens of thousands of 48-14 buttons. I'd walk around through Lion pregame tailgates, hold the butt in up and exclaim, "this is the ultimate $hitt on Pitt button". Sold a thousand a game...all I could carry. As a hitchhiking bartender, without a car, living in Altoona, hitchhiking was how I got to the game.
What made that game special was Pitt being #1 up by 14 and driving and then having the rug pulled out from under them. Plus it was Jackie Sherrill's birthday.

Reactions: Indian rocks rich
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT