ADVERTISEMENT

What are the chances?

lookleft goright

Jan 21, 2012
What are the chances that a guy from Illinois, who is visiting his oldest son in Missouri, would run into a high school wrestler from PA that is also a frequent visitor to the Rivals wrestling board? I you guessed 100% you got it correct.

What a nice surprise to bump into (unfortunately, I forgot his name) I think it was Caseylion or something like that. His Penn State tee shirt opened up the conversation.

What are the chances that a guy from Illinois, who is visiting his oldest son in Missouri, would run into a high school wrestler from PA that is also a frequent visitor to the Rivals wrestling board? I you guessed 100% you got it correct.

What a nice surprise to bump into (unfortunately, I forgot his name) I think it was Caseylion or something like that. His Penn State tee shirt opened up the conversation.
You mean @KCLion ?
giphy.gif

It was great to meet you. I thoroughly enjoyed our conversation. Hope you enjoyed your visit to see your eldest son and I’ll be watching the younger boys wrestling career. Let’s not mention that we met at an Old Time Apple Festival, LOL!!

It was great to meet you. I thoroughly enjoyed our conversation. Hope you enjoyed your visit to see your eldest son and I’ll be watching the younger boys wrestling career. Let’s not mention that we met at an Old Time Apple Festival, LOL!!
My son and I were laughing about how quickly the conversation got going after we found out each of us had a wrestling background and we were both on this message board. It was a great surprise and my wife liked all the stuff I bought her. :)

Reactions: Str8DBLz
I once ran into.a guy wearing an Iowa wrestling Tshirt while hiking at the PA grand canyon I came out of the bathroom wearing my penn state t shirt and there he was. We just stood there looking at each other. He finally said I lost a bet and walked into the bathroom. That's all that was said lol. Strange meeting never saw him afterwards. Poor guy. Wonder what bet he lost because we won nationals that year lol

I once ran into.a guy wearing an Iowa wrestling Tshirt while hiking at the PA grand canyon I came out of the bathroom wearing my penn state t shirt and there he was. We just stood there looking at each other. He finally said I lost a bet and walked into the bathroom. That's all that was said lol. Strange meeting never saw him afterwards. Poor guy. Wonder what bet he lost because we won nationals that year lol
I don't know,. but chances there was some rag dolling involved!

Lots of dudes at rest stop bathrooms late at night wearing Iowa gear.

Stalker

Reactions: lookleft goright
A few years ago we flew to very rural Arkansas to see a rock festival in the woods. We were sitting in the woods watching a group called Mountain Sprout through a haze of smoke. Some guy walked up to me and started talking . I finally determined that 1) he was a wrestler from PA. 2) he graduated from HS the same year I did. 3) He wrestled for the same high school my son wrestled for 20 years later. 4) His best friend wrestled my brother in the District 1 finals. (My brother won.) and 5) he wrestled at my weight class but didn't qualify for Districts or we would have met.
That was a twilight zone experience enhanced by the haze of smoke.

I've had two very weird wrestling related coincidences occur over the last 20 years.

The first happened around 2004. I saw where the son of a friend in WA was going for his 3rd state title, so about 2 weeks before the WA state tournament, I decided to fly up to WA from San Diego to see his son wrestle. A few days before the tournament, for no particular reason I started thinking about another old friend who I had worked with about 20 years earlier. He had decided to pursue a career as an attorney, and we both moved so many times that we lost touch with each other. I did a quick Internet search and found he was working as an IP attorney in Seattle, so I emailed him and we reconnected. In our discourse, I mentioned that I was coming to WA that weekend to watch the son of a friend of mine wrestle for his 3rd state championship. Well it turned out that everyone knew each other quite well. My friend who was the attorney had married the sister of my other friend!

The second happened when the Penn State wrestling team came to CA in 2016. At the first dual vs Cal State Bakersfield, I had taken a seat in the bleachers with the Penn State crowd who was a minority in the completely packed gym. We had about 45 minutes to wait for the dual to start, so I started texting a friend who was the head coach for a HS in WA. (I had pitched in with him as a volunteer assistant coach when I was living there.) There were two gentlemen sitting in front of me, and one got up and turned around to look at the crowd. I saw he was wearing a shirt that said "Rio Rancho Wrestling." When I was coaching in WA, we had a guy on the team whose family had just moved to WA from Rio Rancho, NM and he was a very good wrestler who ended up winning two state titles. I asked the guy wearing the shirt if he knew the family in WA, and the other guy sitting next to him turned around and told me he was their coach when they were in NM! I texted my friend in WA and said "You're not going to believe this. Andrew's coach from Rio Rancho is sitting right in front of me!" BTW - the guy sitting in front of me was Jason Nickal.

I've had two very weird wrestling related coincidences occur over the last 20 years.

The first happened around 2004. I saw where the son of a friend in WA was going for his 3rd state title, so about 2 weeks before the WA state tournament, I decided to fly up to WA from San Diego to see his son wrestle. A few days before the tournament, for no particular reason I started thinking about another old friend who I had worked with about 20 years earlier. He had decided to pursue a career as an attorney, and we both moved so many times that we lost touch with each other. I did a quick Internet search and found he was working as an IP attorney in Seattle, so I emailed him and we reconnected. In our discourse, I mentioned that I was coming to WA that weekend to watch the son of a friend of mine wrestle for his 3rd state championship. Well it turned out that everyone knew each other quite well. My friend who was the attorney had married the sister of my other friend!

The second happened when the Penn State wrestling team came to CA in 2016. At the first dual vs Cal State Bakersfield, I had taken a seat in the bleachers with the Penn State crowd who was a minority in the completely packed gym. We had about 45 minutes to wait for the dual to start, so I started texting a friend who was the head coach for a HS in WA. (I had pitched in with him as a volunteer assistant coach when I was living there.) There were two gentlemen sitting in front of me, and one got up and turned around to look at the crowd. I saw he was wearing a shirt that said "Rio Rancho Wrestling." When I was coaching in WA, we had a guy on the team whose family had just moved to WA from Rio Rancho, NM and he was a very good wrestler who ended up winning two state titles. I asked the guy wearing the shirt if he knew the family in WA, and the other guy sitting next to him turned around and told me he was their coach when they were in NM! I texted my friend in WA and said "You're not going to believe this. Andrew's coach from Rio Rancho is sitting right in front of me!" BTW - the guy sitting in front of me was Jason Nickal.
Just out of curiosity, did Penn State Rag doll Cal State Bakersfield in the dual?

“Pretty much” is pretty much an understatement! The score was 39-3 and the dual wasn’t as close as the score indicates. Penn State put on a takedown clinic for the crowd which had completely filled the seats. I think there was a record attendance at both duals in CA that weekend. PSU’s performance met everyone’s expectations for sure.

On top of that, it was awesome to see Cael surrounded by people after each dual, where he accommodated all their requests for photos and autographs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT