ADVERTISEMENT

What was your favorite Penn State road trip or Bowl game you attended?

john4psu

Sep 7, 2003
What was your favorite Penn State road trip or Bowl game you attended and why?
5CZy3Y5.jpg

I’ve been to many road games and bowl games. But for sheer enjoyment and fun it had to be the game in Dublin. Our group of 13 had an awesome time.
I second that. Dublin was just delightful in so many ways. I was considering the ND game there this fall but can't go. If there is another game in Ireland, I am in.

5CZy3Y5.jpg
Enjoyed the most recent Cotton Bowl and Fiesta Bowl the most.
While I'm happy to have attended the Rose Bowl....despite its history....its a dump compared to Jerry's World.

5CZy3Y5.jpg
Jan. 2nd, 1995 Rose Bowl against the Oregon Ducks. Expected some class as they hadn’t been there in forever. However, with their “quackers” and general conduct, almost as bad as WVU and Pitt at the time. The good part was the win and we got to hit the coast from San Francisco to Newport Beach. Just made it down 101 before it was closed for mudslides.

Gotta go with the 2005 game at Michigan State with what should have been the Rose Bowl on the line. We had had home field advantage, in Michigan. The noise disrupted a snap deep in Spartan Territory resulting in a blocked punt for a TD. 1/3 of the stadium hung around for a full hour chanting Zombie Nation. Great event. #2 was the 2013 road game at Wisconsin. I had zero doubt we would win but was shocked how badly we beat them. Hackenberg played the best game a pro-style QB played the entire decade if not this century. John Butler put it all together after showing signs.

My only PSU Bowl game was Rose vs. Oregon in '95 and the above poster aptly captured the fanside. We enjoyed some great hospitality at the game but sat in the middle of the Ducks section on 50.

Best road experience would be beating ND in '86 to leap from #4 to #2 setting up the Fiesta Bowl vs Canes. I was a drunk college senior alone sitting in the ND Lettermans section. I kept my mouth relatively quiet until the last pass deflection.

Ended up late night at The Senior Bar with some friends of friends who were ND students- one of which was Lee Trevino's daughter. Then went to a dive bar in a rougher part of town. Graciously someone I didn't know took pity and drove me to the hotel where my dad and his friend were worrying about stupid ass...

Great times!

Reactions: The Spin Meister
The latest Cotton Bowl was a great deal of fun. Offensive explosion in an excellent setting.

Has to be the non-bowl game in Dublin. As others said, I'd go back tomorrow. My wife and I made it our 30th anniversary trip. She's also a PSU alum but said the trip couldn't be all about Penn State! It wasn't as we spent 11 days there, toured the country and hit most of the major tourist attractions. But best times were in small town pubs. And of course the Temple bar district. Was so cool to see PSU magnets all over and PSU flags flying from castles!

Reactions: john4psu
5CZy3Y5.jpg
As a 5 year old child the whole crew took me and brothers and sisters to Columbus Ohio where I sat behind a huge concrete beam that blocked out my view from the 15 to the 25 yard line, but I could see the tiny scoreboard by the goal line, when Penn State under the GREAT Joe Paterno, a far superior coach to that lame fraud in place today, defeated Ohio State 19-0 in 1978.

Reactions: john4psu
ADVERTISEMENT