ADVERTISEMENT

What would Nick Saban tell Olu?

Parkerdam555

Jul 2, 2022
I'm guessing that he would tell him to come back and raise his stock from a low or mid first round to a top 5 pick.

I say this because it's on record that Nick Saban tells his players this and most of the time they listen.

Awful hard to go elite when you have every 19 or 20 year old within a sniff, leaving early.

Reactions: john4psu
I'm guessing that he would tell him to come back and raise his stock from a low or mid first round to a top 5 pick.

I say this because it's on record that Nick Saban tells his players this and most of the time they listen.

Awful hard to go elite when you have every 19 or 20 year old within a sniff, leaving early.
I feel like Saban usually tells his guys to go to the NFL? Alabama has a TON of underclassmen that enter the draft every year
Selfishly I hope he comes back Fashanu comes back but if he has a first round grade and I was the coach I'd tell him to go. Hell, if he a day 2 grade I'd tell him to go.

Reactions: diontechristmas
Any coach who wouldn’t advise a 1st round pick to leave is a jackass.

If the young man has very good certainty that he’s going 1st round, let alone top 10, he has to leave. Gets paid generational money. Coming back is too risky from injury or getting exposed and having scouted nit pick their way to downgrading him.

He’s so young, and will certainly be a better player after another year in college, but improving his stock to 8th instead on 12th isn’t worth the risk.

Reactions: john4psu
I have no idea what Saban tells his players. But it sure would be more tempting to stay in college when you know you're going to be in the playoff every season vs. the situation at most other schools. Every single player at Bama in the Saban era that has stayed for 3 season has won a national title, that's a hell of an implied recruiting pitch, Saban doesn't even need to say anything.

Latest cbs draft had him #4 overall, 1st OT off the board. Tough to see him staying if that grade comes out remotely close.
So odd because Ohio State's left tackle is 6'8" 359 and he is not even on the board....something isn't right there

If Olu is a top round this year the question should be why was he sitting last year? Rasheed could have played the right side with as much effort as he played the left side.
Yep. Franklin finally learned this year to play freshmen. Took him 9 years but he got it.

JFF, Saban, and every other adult in the room needs to tell the kid he is 19 years old, probably 20 when he is drafted. The NFL is a mans league and if anyone cares about the kid needs to tell him to stay for another year.

And this isn't a hope for the better of the team, this is the better for the kid. NIL and Insurance now make this kind of situation possible.

Reactions: Parkerdam555
JFF, Saban, and every other adult in the room needs to tell the kid he is 19 years old, probably 20 when he is drafted. The NFL is a mans league and if anyone cares about the kid needs to tell him to stay for another year.

And this isn't a hope for the better of the team, this is the better for the kid. NIL and Insurance now make this kind of situation possible.
Damn straight.

Reactions: Texas Lion
Anyone who wants a kid graded 3rd round or better to come back to school doesn't really care about the kid. Getting your dream job and payday is what's good for the kid and his family not the extra couple wins in a season for some college program that literally uses you up for a some classes, food, a bed and some gear.
Hate to break the news to you but it's the truth, which is hard to come by these days. A draft pick has a lot better opportunity to develop, no matter their age, focusing on football 24/7 than they ever could get staying college another year. The minimum salary for a practice squad player is $207,000. Minimum salary for an active 53 man roster spot is $660,000. College will always be there for a kid, no matter what age they are.

Reactions: LandoComando
Anyone who wants a kid graded 3rd round or better to come back to school doesn't really care about the kid. Getting your dream job and payday is what's good for the kid and his family not the extra couple wins in a season for some college program that literally uses you up for a some classes, food, a bed and some gear.
Hate to break the news to you but it's the truth, which is hard to come by these days. A draft pick has a lot better opportunity to develop, no matter their age, focusing on football 24/7 than they ever could get staying college another year. The minimum salary for a practice squad player is $207,000. Minimum salary for an active 53 man roster spot is $660,000. College will always be there for a kid, no matter what age they are.
quick, without using your google, name the last successful nfl player that played at 19 years old.

There is a reason there is a 3 year wait to get in the league. Because KIDS aren't ready for the league. In fact I really doubt the people mocking him so early know his age. They see 3rd year player and think 21-22.

You watch, his age will be an issue and rop him down the boards.

Latest cbs draft had him #4 overall, 1st OT off the board. Tough to see him staying if that grade comes out remotely close.
Olu was beat like a drum against the best defenders he has faced. He looks like a 5th rounder at best.

quick, without using your google, name the last successful nfl player that played at 19 years old.

There is a reason there is a 3 year wait to get in the league. Because KIDS aren't ready for the league. In fact I really doubt the people mocking him so early know his age. They see 3rd year player and think 21-22.

Who cares they'll have better care, support and coaching to better develop and get paid for it.
They'd be better off never making the 53 man and being a practice squad player for 5 years than staying another year at a school. Garrett Sickels did this. The worst is when a player goes to the draft and never gets picked and can't stay on the PS. Think Freddie Scott.
Juju was like 19 I think.

Last edited:

What if Kobe Bryant or Lebron or KG weren't allowed to go to the league straight out of high school? What would that look like?

What if Kobe Bryant or Lebron or KG weren't allowed to go to the league straight out of high school? What would that look like?
For every Kobe there are 100 Lenny Cooke's. I guess the question should be......do you want to play that % game?

Who cares they'll have better care, support and coaching to better develop and get paid for it.
They'd be better off never making the 53 man and being a practice squad player for 5 years than staying another year at a school. Garrett Sickels did this. The worst is when a player goes to the draft and never gets picked and can't stay on the PS. Think Freddie Scott.
Juju was like 19 I think.
Ju Ju was a skill player. I think we can all agree there is a difference between a skill player and the trenches.

In the past, I might agree with you.....but with the opportunity to make money and get insurance paid for it isn't as big to jump up. Again, I think once the media finds out the kids age they will back off the projection.

You're 100% correct--people just refuse to acknowledge this for some reason I'll never understand.

If Olu is truly a 1st round kid come April '23, yes, absolutely send him to the league. He would also be a huge success for Trautwein. Concensus 3* kid that developed into a 1st rounder? Spin that next year.

Hes a 1st round pick and he wasnt even good enough to play last year with our garbage OL? I find that hard to believe. The staff continues to struggle with personnel decisions.

ADVERTISEMENT