ADVERTISEMENT

What's this technique called?

psumacw

Sep 18, 2017
My 5yo son just finished his first wrestling camp and his coach told him that if anyone hit this particular pinning technique in a match that he'd buy them a milkshake. My son showed me the move and said that it's called a "potato" (we're outside Philly, if that helps) but I never wrestled and my googling isn't coming up with any useful results, so I'm coming to you guys. I'm pretty sure Nolf or Nickal hit one of these at some point in their careers, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

The move goes like this:
you do an optional start from referee's position, assume you line up on the left side
bring your right leg forward and put your butt on the guy's back, tuck your leg under his belly
right arm goes over his right shoulder, left arm goes back between his legs and you lock your hands
tuck your head and roll forward and he should follow and end up cradled with a leg over his midsection for the pin

Hopefully that's enough description that someone can point me to a youtube video so we can practice. He really wants the milkshake. Thanks in advance!

My 5yo son just finished his first wrestling camp and his coach told him that if anyone hit this particular pinning technique in a match that he'd buy them a milkshake. My son showed me the move and said that it's called a "potato" (we're outside Philly, if that helps) but I never wrestled and my googling isn't coming up with any useful results, so I'm coming to you guys. I'm pretty sure Nolf or Nickal hit one of these at some point in their careers, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

The move goes like this:
you do an optional start from referee's position, assume you line up on the left side
bring your right leg forward and put your butt on the guy's back, tuck your leg under his belly
right arm goes over his right shoulder, left arm goes back between his legs and you lock your hands
tuck your head and roll forward and he should follow and end up cradled with a leg over his midsection for the pin

Hopefully that's enough description that someone can point me to a youtube video so we can practice. He really wants the milkshake. Thanks in advance!
I tried that on my son. Dr. says I will be in traction for 3-4 weeks. For your own health......Can I just send a money order for the milkshake?

The move goes like this:

Sounds vaguely like a Jonesy variation? Not sure the cradle part is right, though.

Sounds vaguely like a Jonesy variation? Not sure the cradle part is right, though.

that looks very close. entirely possible my son got the placement of his top hand wrong and it should go under the arm not over the shoulder.

The real question is why is this coach not focusing on a sit-out, double leg takedown or a tight waist when working with his 5 year olds?

i think the ages ranged from 5-11 at the camp and i'm assuming it was just something fun and they didn't spend a ton of time on it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT