ADVERTISEMENT

When playoff expands, first game will be a home game

A three loss Bama team gets a home game because they “look” like a better team. Most of the games will still be in the south favoring SEC teams.

Better start upgrading the Beav right now. Playing a game there in mid Dec present a ton of issues. The plumbing isn’t designed for winter function. Sewer lines will freeze....not a good look for a national playoff game. Where are people gonna park? In mud fields? Massive travel problems if a major storm hits, including getting the teams and tv crews. Stadium could be half full in storms since so many people have to travel considerable distances to get there.

Reactions: Obliviax
Better start upgrading the Beav right now. Playing a game there in mid Dec present a ton of issues. The plumbing isn’t designed for winter function. Sewer lines will freeze....not a good look for a national playoff game. Where are people gonna park? In mud fields? Massive travel problems if a major storm hits, including getting the teams and tv crews. Stadium could be half full in storms since so many people have to travel considerable distances to get there.
Good points. My understanding is that it would be the first game. So if it was this year, it would be December 3rd (our last game is Nov. 25th.). Other divisions have done this but, for example, but I've noticed several divisions end their regular season this Saturday.

I think some conferences play after our last game. Not sure about that but college ball has continued, in the past, after our season.

I guess, it is possible that regular season scheduling changes to accommodate a 12-team playoff. I can imagine the first playoff round being Thanksgiving weekend, for example.

Good points. My understanding is that it would be the first game. So if it was this year, it would be December 3rd (our last game is Nov. 25th.). Other divisions have done this but, for example, but I've noticed several divisions end their regular season this Saturday.

I think some conferences play after our last game. Not sure about that but college ball has continued, in the past, after our season.

I guess, it is possible that regular season scheduling changes to accommodate a 12-team playoff. I can imagine the first playoff round being Thanksgiving weekend, for example.
The BIG has a conference title game. That moves any playoff to Dec 10. Will the BIG get rid of a big money making title game? And even at that it depends on what other conferences do and how quickly the playoff committee acts. Could be even a week later.

Reactions: Ian and Mufasa94
The BIG has a conference title game. That moves any playoff to Dec 10. Will the BIG get rid of a big money making title game? And even at that it depends on what other conferences do and how quickly the playoff committee acts. Could be even a week later.
good point, forgot about that.

I would imagine that they are going to have to look at changing the schedules. I know the Beav has challenges but I have to believe that many cold-weather stadiums share those problems. Or, as you state, money is going to have to be put into stadiums on the very occasional winter game. I mean, Iowa might only play in the series home game once every 20 years but can't just update the stadium the week before when they know the team is in and has a home game. (which means you'd come in at 9 or 10 because 11 and 12 would be the visitors.).

They definitely have to figure the schedule out. If the play the week after CCGs, the participants in those games would be at a disadvantage.

Curious to see how the CFP committee deals with the losers of the CCGs in the rankings this year. Memory from 2019 is that there was little to no punishment/drop for a couple teams in the rankings after they lost. Not a big deal at the moment, but once these teams are included…

A three loss Bama team gets a home game because they “look” like a better team. Most of the games will still be in the south favoring SEC teams.
Maybe...probably...but Bama will likely win and then 99% of people will accept it.

Tennessee in Dec. They owe us, deal with the parking problems, parking lots at the edge of campus and bus it.

If the play the week after CCGs, the participants in those games would be at a disadvantage.

You get rid of divisions. You get rid of ccgs. Playoff money will eclipse ccg money in short order. How often has the ccg meant anything? Every playoff game will mean something and home crowds will eat it up.

Reactions: LandoComando
good point, forgot about that.

I would imagine that they are going to have to look at changing the schedules. I know the Beav has challenges but I have to believe that many cold-weather stadiums share those problems. Or, as you state, money is going to have to be put into stadiums on the very occasional winter game. I mean, Iowa might only play in the series home game once every 20 years but can't just update the stadium the week before when they know the team is in and has a home game. (which means you'd come in at 9 or 10 because 11 and 12 would be the visitors.).
Owens-Corning, the official winterizer of the college football playoff.

Suppose Penn State hosts a first-round playoff game against Florida, how much of the revenue goes to Penn State (enough to cover expenses?). How much goes to Florida (enough to cover their expenses?), the rest split with Big 10 teams and SEC teams?

The bigwigs love title games. They get interviews, get to pat each other on the backs, people suck up to them all week. The conference gets additional exposure which they love. Big tv money. Huge egos get stroked. What’s not to like?
And a larger playoff does that x10 for the Big Ten, SEC, ACC, Pac XII and Big XII

And a larger playoff does that x10 for the Big Ten, SEC, ACC, Pac XII and Big XII
Nope. A title game gets full attention on two teams and the conference instead of a game with an opponent that you have to share the lime light. Along with conference Big Dogs getting adored all week.

And, surprise....after the conference title game .......you still get a playoff game! Why give up the title game when you would get both a title game and a playoff game?

Nope. A title game gets full attention on two teams and the conference instead of a game with an opponent that you have to share the lime light. Along with conference Big Dogs getting adored all week.

And, surprise....after the conference title game .......you still get a playoff game! Why give up the title game when you would get both a title game and a playoff game?
You wrongly believe that conference championship games get a ton of attention. Aside from the SEC and usually that's the Big Ten. The Pac XII plays of Fridays I believe. The ACC is completely trash in those games. It's not the attention you believe it is. A playoff game is far better even if they don't have 2 team. Far better not even close.

You wrongly believe that conference championship games get a ton of attention. Aside from the SEC and usually that's the Big Ten. The Pac XII plays of Fridays I believe. The ACC is completely trash in those games. It's not the attention you believe it is. A playoff game is far better even if they don't have 2 team. Far better not even close.
Where you miss the boat is the conference TV rights. A psu versus ucla conference championship game is worth more than an orange bowl against Miami in terms of horse much the B1G makes

Why give up the title game when you would get both a title game and a playoff game?

Here's the general line of thinking. Some complain about too many games. Is it a legit thing? I've only heard fans mention it. Not sure I've ever heard a player say it.

So, let's keep ccg for the sake of things. Extra game of money for the teams, networks, etc. How do we make it even more valuable?

Winner gets home field and a bye week under the 12 team format. I'm under the assumption that when you get to 8, that game is at the home teams field (and 4, title game neutral). Of course, this works better if you have 4 conferences with tie ins instead of 5+. Then again, you have the disadvantage of the ccg loser playing a team coming off essentially a bye because they made the playoff but not their ccg.

Hence why I said to eliminate the ccg and end the regular season on week 13 and go straight to playoffs for week 14. Additionally, move the season start back to the current week 0.

If the bowls desire to exist, by all means. Send out invites and make your matchups.

Where you miss the boat is the conference TV rights. A psu versus ucla conference championship game is worth more than an orange bowl against Miami in terms of horse much the B1G makes
Why are you talking about an Orange Bowl?
Do you know how much money a 24 team playoff would bring in for the Big Ten? Far more than Penn State vs. UCLA in a conference title game.

ADVERTISEMENT