ADVERTISEMENT

Football Where do the majority of Power Five OCs call plays from? The Field or The Booth?

Where do the majority of Power Five OCs call plays from? The Field or The Booth?

Did the research over the past day and here's the final tally.

Interesting stuff. Even if the plays are called on field....OC/HC ......there would be substantial input from the box.

And interesting timing. Just yesterday I watched the For The Bloggy analysis and was very impressed with the line play of the Mich O. Lots of pulling, trapping, counters. Very fast and athletic for big guys.

And watching those videos got me wondering.....the best way to see how plays are designed and form is from the end zone. You can easily see all the line blocking, what the backs are seeing and how they respond, what the Qb sees downfield on passes. You can also see much better how the D reacts or over reacts. I always liked end zone seats because of this but the film really showed the clarity.

Sideline seats and videos have too much clutter to see the whole field. Distant players hard to see, crown of field distorts image, depth of field of vision, especially with telephoto lenses, distort distances between players. Harder to see just how Ds set up or how they shift.

So all this long preamble leads to the question that crossed my mind just yesterday. Do any teams use end zone spotters or cameras so that they get a better look at the flow of the game, a better look at individual players, see just how a play failed to develop, what players or alignment to attack?

Seems to me having endzone views would be a huge advantage if other teams don’t utilize them.

Last edited:
Ok, so I made a couple brilliant observations here plus asked an excellent, thought provoking question.....and no one responded 😡.

End zone seats are great when the action is in your end. Remember sitting on the corner about fifteen rows up ......D Williams was running a streak right at me and got past the d back by a couple yards.and the QB threw a long bomb to him. I swear that four times I looked at the ball, then down to Williams, back and forth hoping the ball would be on target.

Ball dropped perfectly into his arms at about the ten, right on stride, for a huge TD. Pretty cool!

Still say having cameras or spotters in the end zones would be really good for coaching staff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT