ADVERTISEMENT

Where would a 10-2 PSU be ranked at the end of regular season?

Online Persona

Feb 2, 2022
Currently 6 undefeated and 7 one loss power 5 teams. They also currently rank 2 loss Utah, K St, and LSU ahead of PSU. That's 16 teams.

For simplicity, I will assume that the undefeated teams remain 1 loss or less and ahead of us or even 2 losses and ahead. There is a chance 1 or 2 teams drop 2 or more remaining games and fall below us but looking at their schedules I'd assume probably 5 or 6 of those schools finish above a 10-2 PSU.

The 1 loss teams are a more interesting analysis.

Bama would have to lose to #15 LSU or #11 Ole Miss. I doubt either happens but if only 1 does then I think Bama probably still remains above a 10-2 PSU due to SEC bias.

Oregon still has #12 Utah and #24 Oregon St. and possibly their championship game opponent. It is quite possible they end up with 2 or 3 losses. I'd say maybe 50% chance they fall behind a 10-2 PSU.

USC still has #10 UCLA and Notre Dame along with a possible conference championship game. Again, I'd give them a 50% probability of dropping below us.

UCLA still has #9 USC and a shot at a conference championship game. Another coin flip for them dropping below us.

Ole Miss has #6 Alabama and two 5-3 SEC teams on their schedule. Probably 25% chance they remain above a 10-2 PSU.

Illinois has #4 Michigan, 3 loss Purdue, and possibly a conference championship game. I'm guessing 10% chance they end above a 10-2 PSU.

I'm guessing 2 or 3 current 1 loss teams would finish ahead of a 10-2 PSU.

The 2 loss teams currently ranked ahead of us are Utah (faces #8 Oregon and possibly conference championship game), K St (faces three 3 loss teams and a conference championship if they get by them), and LSU (faces #6 Alabama and 3 loss Arkansas).

I don’t know that any of the 3 current 2 loss teams finish ahead of a 10-2 PSU. Maybe 1 pulls it off.

So by my math, a 10-2 PSU if we can get there:

5 or 6 current undefeated teams + 2 or 3 current 1 loss teams + maybe 1 current 2 loss teams = anywhere from 7 to 10 teams finishing the regular season ahead of a 10-2 PSU.

So I would project a 10-2 PSU lands anywhere between #8 and #11 in the country at the end of the regular season. That could even lead to a top 5 finish if we win our bowl.

Currently 6 undefeated and 7 one loss power 5 teams. They also currently rank 2 loss Utah, K St, and LSU ahead of PSU. That's 16 teams.

For simplicity, I will assume that the undefeated teams remain 1 loss or less and ahead of us or even 2 losses and ahead. There is a chance 1 or 2 teams drop 2 or more remaining games and fall below us but looking at their schedules I'd assume probably 5 or 6 of those schools finish above a 10-2 PSU.

Bama would have to lose to #15 LSU or #11 Ole Miss. I doubt either happens but if only 1 does then I think Bama probably still remains above a 10-2 PSU due to SEC bias.

Oregon still has #12 Utah and #24 Oregon St. and possibly their championship game opponent. It is quite possible they end up with 2 or 3 losses. I'd say maybe 50% chance they fall behind a 10-2 PSU.

USC still has #10 UCLA and Notre Dame along with a possible conference championship game. Again, I'd give them a 50% probability of dropping below us.

UCLA still has #9 USC and a shot at a conference championship game. Another coin flip for them dropping below us.

Ole Miss has #6 Alabama and two 5-3 SEC teams on their schedule. Probably 25% chance they remain above a 10-2 PSU.

Illinois has #4 Michigan, 3 loss Purdue, and possibly a conference championship game. I'm guessing 10% chance they end above a 10-2 PSU.

The 2 loss teams currently ranked ahead of us are Utah (faces #8 Oregon and possibly conference championship game), K St (faces three 3 loss teams and a conference championship if they get by them), and LSU (faces #6 Alabama and 3 loss Arkansas).

I don’t know that any of the 3 current 2 loss teams finish ahead of a 10-2 PSU. Maybe 1 pulls it off.

5 or 6 current undefeated teams + 2 or 3 current 1 loss teams + maybe 1 current 2 loss teams = anywhere from 7 to 10 teams finishing the regular season ahead of a 10-2 PSU.

So I would project a 10-2 PSU lands anywhere between #8 and #11 in the country at the end of the regular season. That could even lead to a top 5 finish if we win our bowl.
10-2 would get us in the top 10. It would also get us a top 12 bowl opponent. We'd have to win our bowl game to stay in the top 10.

Zero chance we finish top 5. That means we would finish ahead of two from UM, OSU, GA, Tenn, Clemson, and Bama.

Reactions: joewp and Sullivan
If we win out:

1) limited chaos, probably #8-#9.
2) total chaos, maybe #5.
Can you give the scenario for 5? Who are 1-4? I don't think there's anyway we'd be ahead of Georgia, Tennessee, Michigan or Ohio State unless they have 3 losses so it would have be real crazy lol. Not saying you're wrong--just curious what that looks like.

If Ohio State and Michigan win out and play a close game against each other, I see a 10-2 PSU team ranked 10-12. A win over Oregon finishes 7ish.

They’re not jumping Michigan or Ohio State, so 7th seems like a ceiling to me.

If Ohio State and Michigan win out and play a close game against each other, I see a 10-2 PSU team ranked 10-12. A win over Oregon finishes 7ish.

They’re not jumping Michigan or Ohio State, so 7th seems like a ceiling to me.

duhO$U & scUM are not both going to the CFP. Even if they're both undefeated when they play. Also, Illinois is not a gimmie win for scUM - they have the #1 Ranked Defense across the board (giving up less than 9 points per game and 225 YPG). #2 is UGa.

Reactions: Westcoast24
duhO$U & scUM are not both going to the CFP. Even if they're both undefeated when they play. Also, Illinois is not a gimmie win for scUM - they have the #1 Ranked Defense across the board (giving up less than 9 points per game and 225 YPG). #2 is UGa.
I didn’t say they were. So one of them loses a game, ends up 5th and PSU ain’t jumping them. Their ceiling is 7th. 2 spots back.

I didn’t say they were. So one of them loses a game, ends up 5th and PSU ain’t jumping them. Their ceiling is 7th. 2 spots back.

Really doesn't matter as the loser will go to the Rose Bowl against either USC or Utah - and both scUM and duhO$U are very adept at losing bowls in general, and especially the Tose Bowl. Again, I don't know that Illinois is an automatic win for scUM - they match up well with scUM in terms of the type of team that could make them struggle offensively.

Reactions: Westcoast24
Really doesn't matter as the loser will go to the Rose Bowl against either USC or Utah - and both scUM and duhO$U are very adept at losing bowls in general, and especially the Tose Bowl. Again, I don't know that Illinois is an automatic win for scUM - they match up well with scUM in terms of the type of team that could make them struggle offensively.
I get you. I’m talking ceiling though.

10-2 would get us in the top 10. It would also get us a top 12 bowl opponent. We'd have to win our bowl game to stay in the top 10.

Zero chance we finish top 5. That means we would finish ahead of two from UM, OSU, GA, Tenn, Clemson, and Bama.

After the bowls we could if we win out (including our bowl). Not saying we will or would, but we definitely could finish 5th (I assume we're talking AP & Coavhes' Polls as CFP Ranking doesn't extend beyond Bowl Selections) if we won out including our Bowl.

After the bowls we could if we win out (including our bowl). Not saying we will or would, but we definitely could finish 5th (I assume we're talking AP & Coavhes' Polls as CFP Ranking doesn't extend beyond Bowl Selections) if we won out including our Bowl.
Sorry but no way. 7th or 8th would be the best possible finish.

Reactions: mcpat
Don’t you think playoff teams are 1-4? And don’t you put the loser of Michigan and Ohio State after those four? You think PSU jumps the loser of Michigan-Ohio State?

Reactions: bdgan

Ok, take a breath. Pretty early to go into such long detailed game of what if. Wait two more weeks. Then knock yourself out.

Don’t you think playoff teams are 1-4? And don’t you put the loser of Michigan and Ohio State after those four? You think PSU jumps the loser of Michigan-Ohio State?
I said after the Bowl, not regular season. I would say PSU's absolute highest possible ranking in the Final CFP Ranking if they won out is 6 and more likely around 8.

I said after the Bowl, not regular season. I would say PSU's absolute highest possible ranking in the Final CFP Ranking if they won out is 6 and more likely around 8.

Probably 6 and that's assuming the stars aligned chaos reigned (including in the bowls) and they ended up playing 5th or 6th Clemson in the Orange bowl and winning.

Online nice breakdown. I truly believe we should win the next 4 games, but I am uncertain of what to expect going forward with this team and coaching staff.

Honestly, we're 16th right now and not a strongly thought of 6-2 team. I would have us ranked higher. It's going to take a lot to get above 8. I can't see it happening.

Nice job--I think 8 is also the ceiling

Can you give the scenario for 5? Who are 1-4? I don't think there's anyway we'd be ahead of Georgia, Tennessee, Michigan or Ohio State unless they have 3 losses so it would have be real crazy lol. Not saying you're wrong--just curious what that looks like.

I think 7/8 is the ceiling before the bowls. Teams 5-7/8 likely will face random opponents instead of each other. If the higher rated team loses each of those games and we win our bowl, that's probably our only shot to get to #5. Would definitely help if we could get matched up vs one of those teams.

We need a lot of help. Biggest problem we have right now among current 2 loss teams, ours is the most recent.

Reactions: LandoComando
I think 7/8 is the ceiling before the bowls. Teams 5-7/8 likely will face random opponents instead of each other. If the higher rated team loses each of those games and we win our bowl, that's probably our only shot to get to #5. Would definitely help if we could get matched up vs one of those teams.

We need a lot of help. Biggest problem we have right now among current 2 loss teams, ours is the most recent.
Sorry I thought we were talking prior to the bowls...that makes more sense.

Reactions: lazydave841
Really doesn't matter as the loser will go to the Rose Bowl against either USC or Utah - and both scUM and duhO$U are very adept at losing bowls in general, and especially the Tose Bowl.

We have won the last 4 Rose Bowls we've played in (seasons being 1996, 2009, 2018, 2021).

We are 6-3 in Bowl games since Urb took over (all 9 of them being NY6 games). We are 12-8 in Bowl games since Tressel took over.

To answer the original question -- if you win your NY6 game (assuming you finish the regular season 10-2), I'd guess you'd finish in the 6-8 range. Would be preferable if you beat somebody like Oregon or Ole Miss instead of a UCF. Probably would finish the regular season in the 8-10 range. Still behind UGA, Tennessee, Ohio State, Michigan, Clemson, Alabama, the Pac-12 champion, and TCU if they win the Big XII.

Last edited:
If we win out:

1) limited chaos, probably #8-#9.
2) total chaos, maybe #5.
I agree.

The only holdup for PSU getting ranked high will be if other B1G teams get slotted ahead of them as certain predictors have. I saw one where PSU got the 4th best bowl behind OSU, Mich & Illini. That could hurt if we have another mediocre bowl matchup like Memphis or Kentucky.

But.....This team looks a lot like 2016 only the OSU loss would be better than the Pitt loss and they need to finish the season and beat the bowl opponent, no matter who opts out and who doesn't.

Opt outs aren't an excuse anymore, they are a reality for good reason, because a players individual future is more important than an exhibition that can provide no championship. Many posters here complain the season doesn't matter anymore now that we can't get to B1G championship game or the playoff but then later complain that a player opts out because the bowl doesn't mean anything......Explain to me how that logic works please? It doesn't mean anything but then it means something. OK then, got it.

Win out, including bowl game against good opponent, and the team will finish in the top 6.

Ok, take a breath. Pretty early to go into such long detailed game of what if. Wait two more weeks. Then knock yourself out.
Yes, I qualified if we win out but I do think we have at least coin flip odds of doing it. One thing is certain, looking at the other comparable teams, we have already played our toughest opponents and have a more likely win out scenario than most other ranked teams.

Yes, I qualified if we win out but I do think we have at least coin flip odds of doing it. One thing is certain, looking at the other comparable teams, we have already played our toughest opponents and have a more likely win out scenario than most other ranked teams.

There are some who told us how we were going to lose to Purdue..... Auburn..... Minny........ etc.....

Keep in mind, a broken clock is right twice a day. In this case, "the broken record" crowd is bound to eventually be right - and then they'll go into their "I told you so routine".....

Actually this is an interesting question, unfortunately Franklin is going to blow at least 1 game out of these next four so we ain't gonna find out.

With all the Franklin hate, who would have thought 10 - 2, possible and top 10 - 12 rating, along with New Years' day game.

I'd take a Top 10 finish with Nick and Kaytron both getting near 1,000 yards, Allar getting some quality play, and Clifford going out a winner.

I'd take a Top 10 finish with Nick and Kaytron both getting near 1,000 yards, Allar getting some quality play, and Clifford going out a winner.

I'm ok with this, and hear Franklin loud and clear about winning games for seniors etc, but if we don't get Allar some real playing time in real games then our potential Top 10 will translate to losing 10-15 spots down the line next year.

I support whoever puts on our jersey and coaches our team, and agree that despite one tough and one humiating loss that we could overachieve IF we win out.

After Saturday walking out of the stadium I'm suffering from Clifford/Franklin fatigue. In order to not hit a pothole next year Drew needs reps. #8, 10 or 14 this year matters little to me. We are 3rd on our division...the place we typically made fun of Michigan for.

Seeing Allar and Veillieux would be invigorating.

It's spelled Indinia. Lol
Indiana-football-mispelled-its-own-name..jpg

Reactions: lazydave841
I'm ok with this, and hear Franklin loud and clear about winning games for seniors etc, but if we don't get Allar some real playing time in real games then our potential Top 10 will translate to losing 10-15 spots down the line next year.

I support whoever puts on our jersey and coaches our team, and agree that despite one tough and one humiating loss that we could overachieve IF we win out.

After Saturday walking out of the stadium I'm suffering from Clifford/Franklin fatigue. In order to not hit a pothole next year Drew needs reps. #8, 10 or 14 this year matters little to me. We are 3rd on our division...the place we typically made fun of Michigan for.

Seeing Allar and Veillieux would be invigorating.
I don't think Clifford should automatically be benched the rest of the year, but ideally, he would play no more than about a half per game no matter the score/opponent, and not necessarily the full first half. These are games we should win, but not necessarily gimmes. They would be good experiences for the young guys. Clifford could always come in to save the day if needed. He might even play better in that circumstance.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
I don't think Clifford should automatically be benched the rest of the year, but ideally, he would play no more than about a half per game no matter the score/opponent, and not necessarily the full first half. These are games we should win, but not necessarily gimmes. They would be good experiences for the young guys. Clifford could always come in to save the day if needed. He might even play better in that circumstance.
Why would we play 2 QBs? We should play 1. If you want to argue it should be Clifford then so be it but Allar is the option I'd go with even though I'm not blaming Clifford for Saturday

Why would we play 2 QBs? We should play 1. If you want to argue it should be Clifford then so be it but Allar is the option I'd go with even though I'm not blaming Clifford for Saturday
I guess I just don't see Franklin benching Clifford, so I'm hoping Allar gets some chances. I'll be shocked if Allar starts the rest of our games. It just seems out-of-character for Franklin.

I guess I just don't see Franklin benching Clifford, so I'm hoping Allar gets some chances. I'll be shocked if Allar starts the rest of our games. It just seems out-of-character for Franklin.
Gotcha. I don't want to see 2 QBs as I don't think that helps either of them honestly but i understand your point

Agreed.

No better than 3rd in the B1G East

ADVERTISEMENT