ADVERTISEMENT

Football Who are your top 10 performers this season?

Dylan Callaghan-Croley

Staff
Jun 14, 2020
We’re going to be ranking the 10 Nittany Lions we thought performed the best this season. That being said, we also want your opinion! Who are your top 10 performers this season for Penn State and how would you rank them 1-10!

3-playmaker w guts. every play, every game.
13- loved his forward running style
10- special talent, room to grow
23- much improved at a weak position
9- teams mostly stayed away
86- made big plays starting w Purdue
16- tough/leader
44- made us miss 17 less than I thought
5- great portal pick up, faded a bit
70- giving Juice nod over Olu due to seniority and all he has overcome. Didn't think he'd ever get back to the level of consistency he did. Great story.

Honorable mention: 96...Amor was our early season MVP and set the table for our D. He struggled some as the year went on but was a very pleasant surprise.

3-playmaker w guts. every play, every game.
13- loved his forward running style
10- special talent, room to grow
23- much improved at a weak position
9- teams mostly stayed away
86- made big plays starting w Purdue
16- tough/leader
44- made us miss 17 less than I thought
5- great portal pick up, faded a bit
70- giving Juice nod over Olu due to seniority and all he has overcome. Didn't think he'd ever get back to the level of consistency he did. Great story.

Honorable mention: 96...Amor was our early season MVP and set the table for our D. He struggled some as the year went on but was a very pleasant surprise.
Ummm, no Abdul Carter?

I'll go:
1. N Singleton - Blazing speed added the home run threat the run game desperately needed and he ran tougher toward the end of the season.
2. A Carter - 2nd on team in tackles and 1st in sacks. A game changing talent.
3. K Allen - Tough burst inside allowed for reliable, falling forward yards.
4. J Porter Jr. - Shutdown CB. Got better with less PI this year.
5. P Washington - Tough kid came up huge against tOSU
6. C Jacobs - Extremely active, hope he stays another year.
7 J Brown - Team leader. Big INTs. Led team in Tackles and INTs.
8. K King - Really just a hair behind Porter, Jr. Immense talent.
9. M Tinsley - Tough kid who made some sensational catches.
10. C Robinson - Immediate impact from the portal.

I have some love for Tarburton as well. Really played solid this season, added somewhat to his QB rush abiity, and was a senior leader on a young DE group.

Hope he returns for 2023, but everyone can't return with a large freshmen class coming in as well as likely a few transfers.....

1. 16 We will only know how special he was next year when he's gone. He was everywhere.
2. 11 He is special as everyone knows.
3. 10 or 13 They brought something we had been missing.
4. 70 He is a center and will play Sundays. Line much improved.
5. 44 We lost pass rush when he wasn't on the field.
6. 3 Just a solid guy who does a lot .
7. 86 He really stepped up this year catching, blocking and playing fullback.
8. 74 He just does what he is supposed to do. Guys don't get where they want when Olu is blocking them.
9. 23 Early on it wasn't great but when we put him back where he belongs he was good.
10. 46 Tarburten is a trooper and plays so hard that he had to make the list.
HM: 9 we know how good he is
4 because of 9 he's pretty busy and played well. 97 Mustipher is just a really good D tackle and good guy. 20 He is getting back to being really good
33 is going to be great. 66 did extremely well. 7 likes to be near the football.

Missing Clifford - he had an impact and is a reason we are 10-2.
Sean is a warrior and a great representation of what PSU Football strives to be. I agree that he played a big role in our success. However, he also is the primary reason we lost to OSU.

And while his long run vs Michigan was our only sign of life in the 1st half, he simply didn't rise above when given the opportunity. I sat right behind our bench last year and watched him lead us on and off of the field to a nearly very improbable win vs UM. That grit and leadership was not evident this year.

The first quarter/ half of the Rutgers game was awful....and his decisions had a lot to do with that. Eventually we woke up...but he was not excellent. Auburn was awesome for us on all accounts, including Cliff.

In the end, in my opinion, his year can be summarized where it started. Against Purdue he gaveth, and he tooketh away. Great last drive made necessary by his own mistakes. We won, but it shouldn't have been that close.

That's why I didn't even consider him for my top 10.....he didn't overdeliver expectations for a 6th year senior, who admittedly was impacted by coaching changes.

We had a good year versus what turned out to be a favorable schedule. He met expectations, but probably isn't pleased with our outcome either.

Sean is a warrior and a great representation of what PSU Football strives to be. I agree that he played a big role in our success. However, he also is the primary reason we lost to OSU.

And while his long run vs Michigan was our only sign of life in the 1st half, he simply didn't rise above when given the opportunity. I sat right behind our bench last year and watched him lead us on and off of the field to a nearly very improbable win vs UM. That grit and leadership was not evident this year.

The first quarter/ half of the Rutgers game was awful....and his decisions had a lot to do with that. Eventually we woke up...but he was not excellent. Auburn was awesome for us on all accounts, including Cliff.

In the end, in my opinion, his year can be summarized where it started. Against Purdue he gaveth, and he tooketh away. Great last drive made necessary by his own mistakes. We won, but it shouldn't have been that close.

That's why I didn't even consider him for my top 10.....he didn't overdeliver expectations for a 6th year senior, who admittedly was impacted by coaching changes.

We had a good year versus what turned out to be a favorable schedule. He met expectations, but probably isn't pleased with our outcome either.
Pick any QB in the NFL and put him on our team and we're still 10-2 this year.

Pick any QB in the NFL and put him on our team and we're still 10-2 this year.
Maybe. But sitting in NAU in Beaver Stadium with the ball in our hands down 6 in the 4th Qtr we had a legit shot to win. Pick 6 was a dagger. Most NFL QBs wouldn't have given that up. TD scored right in our corner w OSU fans both in front and behind me.

I believe he gave us the best chance to win each week. But next year we will likely watch some Drew Allar bumps in the road and wish he had more legitimate playing time this year.

This was a very fun team with many unexpexted bright spits. QB simply was not one of them.

We’re going to be ranking the 10 Nittany Lions we thought performed the best this season. That being said, we also want your opinion! Who are your top 10 performers this season for Penn State and how would you rank them 1-10!

1. Singleton
2. Carter
3. Allen
4. Porter Jr.
5. Strange
5. Kalen King
6. Fashanu
6. Brown
7. P. Washington
8. B. Armor
9. D. Robinson
10. Jacobs

Reactions: ilvpsu

Wrong. He was not the primary reason we lost to OSU. Blame that on the line that could’t block that lineman. Very few QBs could have survived under that pressure. And give some of the blame to Yurcich for not changing the scheme li,e bring in a back ot Te in backfield to slow him down. He didn’t have any other games like that so he isn’t superhuman as we made him look.

To add to the top ten performers…how about Ciaz since you didn’t say players but performers. Diaz performed quite well and had the F smoking by end of season. Maybe a #11 ranking to the O line coach as the line made improv all season long.

Wrong. He was not the primary reason we lost to OSU. Blame that on the line that could’t block that lineman. Very few QBs could have survived under that pressure. And give some of the blame to Yurcich for not changing the scheme li,e bring in a back ot Te in backfield to slow him down. He didn’t have any other games like that so he isn’t superhuman as we made him look.
I understand your points and agree that 72 was a turnstile that afternoon. Mike Y didn't do us any favors either late.

Sean played well enough to get us to a lead in the 2nd half, however great plays like Washington's td also were made by our receivers. That same line did a solid job run blocking enabling roughly 5 yards per carry on 1st down.

Why did we choose that screen play at that time when our running backs were churning yards? Obviously we thought it would work. "Chunk play" as James would say.

Just like when we handed off to Miles Sanders on 4th down vs the Bucks instead of letting Trace try and create. Great on the chalkboard- but not with the "Jimmy's and Joe's." In both cases a rogue OSU lineman made great plays to win the game.

Leaving the OSU game this year I had a feeling of Deja Vu. I was in the stadium for
Da U's Darren Krien's int pick 6 on a similar throw by John Sacca. Both games were tight, and ultimately lost, on high percentage throws that went South.

Sean had a very good game vs OSU, but the fumble and pick 6 are the defining plays- at least in my mind. We lost as a team- and I'm sure Sean wanted to beat the Bucks more than all of us combined. It just didn't happen. I hoped for more from him in situations like that. He probably did too. That game was there for the taking, and OSU earned the W.

A lot to be excited about with all the young talent. I especially enjoy watching #11 Carter. He definitely wears the no. 11 well and is gonna be a terror!

ADVERTISEMENT