ADVERTISEMENT

Who were your favorite top 5 PSU Men's Basketball players overall?

Jerademan74

Gold Member
Jun 29, 2011
Atlanta, GA
We have had several pretty good BB players over the years. Don't know if we ever had GREAT players, but what players come to mind as the best of the best at Penn State that you can remember. Back in my days, we had Ron Brown and Randy Meister in 73-74. I remember this team beat #4 Virginia at Rec Hall which may have been the biggest upset we ever had! We also had a "Goon" who's name I can't remember who was all muscle and was the intimidator. Anyone remember his name? How would you rate the top 5 PSU men's BB players you have seen play?
This post was edited on 3/16 2:11 PM by Jerademan74

From my college years.... Frank Brickowski and Mike Lang...

..... others that I saw play (live):

Geary Claxton
Tom Hovasse
Pete Lisicky
Joe Crispin
Dan Earl

I haven't narrowed it down to 5 yet and these are in no order but how they may have come to mind. May add more as I think it over.
Talor Battle
Jamelle Cornley
Tim Frazier
Jarrett Stephens
Joe Crispin
Dan Earl
Pete Lisicky
Freddie Barnes
Calvin Booth
Two names intentionally left off, initials both begin with JA for reasons that won't be detailed (in my opinion), but some will understand.

Edited additions:
Gyasi-Cline Heard
Ron Brown
Titus Ivory

And in the would have, could have category since only 2 yrs played: Sharif Chambliss. Nothing personal against him. You do what is best for yourself.
This post was edited on 3/16 3:00 PM by PSU73

The only great player ever at Penn State was Jesse Arnelle and he played

60 years ago. He took Penn St to the final 4

Unfortunately people only remember him as being a BOT member in November of 2011

Frank Brickowski
Taylor Battle
Jesse Arnelle
Joe Crispin
Calvin Booth.

Frankly, I cannot think of a lot more than them. I know there was the kid from Colorado who played for the Houston Rockets for a couple of years - he was the kid on the breakaway layup against Indiana and the ref called a foul on HIM, not the other player - which may have been the worst call ever by a ref in college basketball.

Jeff Miller

Back in the mid seventies, Miller was a great outside shooter. It's to bad they did not have the three-pointer back then, because many of his shots were from three point range.

Greg Bartram "committed" that foul. I may be mistaken, but it can't be possible that he played for the Rockets. He was a good college player, but way too short and too white to be NBA material.

Good thing the poster didn't ask for the Top 5

greatest players then. We wouldn't be able to come up with 5, would we?

I also liked Monroe "Monnie" Brown

played with Freddie Barnes. Monnie died in 2012 at the age of 41, couldn't hold a steady, paying job in the game he loved to play, Got mixed up in drugs. Monnie and Freddie led PSU to 4 consecutive 20 win seasons and 4 post season tournaments, including an appearance in the NCAA where they upset UCLA in the 1st round.

funny Mike Lang story

I worked in the Rec Hall training room as a trainer when Mike Lang was in school. As we know, the Nittany Lion wears a basketball uniform during the games. Well during a game, Mike threw a perfect chest pass to the lion who was standing just beyond the base line. The entire gym cracked up. Mike was in the training room after the game and I said to him, did you think one of your teammates had a big furry head? He got a good laugh out of it.

From that point on, the lion has always worn our away color to prevent errant passes.

Favorites...

Not necessarily the best players but faves...

-Phil "Big House" Williams. When he set a pick at the top of the arc he would rattle guys' teeth.
-Pete Lisicky. Sweetest shot.
-Joe Crispin. Fearless, tremendous FT shooter. Extent of range was approximately the time line.
-Talor Battle. Straight up winner. I still want him taking the last shot ahead of Joe C.
-Jamelle Cornley. Another guy who could carry the whole team. Played hurt, gave Hightower a lot of static (+1).

I wasn't paying much attention to hoops when I was at PSU. Started getting into it more later on, last 3 years of Rec Hall.

Sounds like we were up there at the same time, I remember Ron Brown...

a really fine player.

I knew most of the guys on those early '70s teams and they were good guys and good players. Couple of the guys struggled with injuries and they never were able to fully show their abilities on the court.

"Two names intentionally left off, initials both begin with JA for reasons that won't be detailed (in my opinion), but some will understand."

Jesse Arnelle
John Amecchi

Can understand Arnelle for an obvious reason, I have no use for the s.o.b. myself. Amecchi was a pretty damn good man as rebounder and scorer.

Aname just came back to me Bob Weiss, he played in the NBA for quite a few years.
This post was edited on 3/16 4:40 PM by psu1969a

Re: Sounds like we were up there at the same time, I remember Ron Brown...

DelcoLion: Can you remember the guy's name who was "The Enforcer" on that team? He played with heart and muscle, but fouled out quickly :)

Intimidator's name was John Marshall. He was actually a very nice guy but

a real menace on the court. Think he was a JUCO transfer from Robert Morris. We had a few good ones from RM.

Ron Brown was drafted by the Celtics but didn't make the team. That upset over UVA was all-Amerian Barry Parkhill's homecoming to State College. Hard to believe we didn't recruit him.
This post was edited on 3/16 4:41 PM by Yboby

Bob Weiss - 1962-65

My brother graduated in 1964 and knew Weiss ... said Weiss was a good guy and a terrific player.

This post was edited on 3/16 4:39 PM by Yboby

This post was edited on 3/16 4:40 PM by Yboby

Only PSU alum to play on an NBA championship team (76ers in 66-67) and

be an NBA head coach.

Re: Intimidator's name was John Marshall. He was actually a very nice guy but

Yboby: You are right, it was John Marshall! Thanks. Our coach was John Bach.

Tom Hovasse

but he didn't play for Houston. He played two games with the Atlanta Hawks.

John Marshall was NOT a "really nice guy"

I agree with you regarding his intimidation on the court, but no water was Marshall a "nice guy". He lived in Porter Hall when I attended PSU. He thought nothing about coming onto the TV lounge and changing the channel from what we'd be watching. Sometimes I think he did it just to intimidate us. But he was a real bully and arrogant a**. Everyone in the Pollack area just knew to stay out of his way.

This post was edited on 3/16 5:10 PM by Alphalion75

Dick Mumma! End of discussion!
wink.r191677.gif

Talor Battle made a lot of game winning shots

Newbill was great but seldom came through with the game winners like Battle. Of course Battle had some help inside with Cornley and perimeter help from Pringle (who could also penetrate).

Some good players on the 2001 team: Crispin, Ivory, & Cline Heard. I'm not sure that any were as good as Newbill but the combination made PSU a formidable opponent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT