ADVERTISEMENT

Who will be starting at 165 come tournament time?

Who will be starting at 165 come tournament time?

• Total voters

NittanyChris

Dec 3, 2001
Who will be starting at 165 come tournament time? We know that whoever starts the season there may not be the guy starting at tournament time, so what do you think?

Other is down in the room now, will he improve enough to crack the line-up?

Seriously, did Hoosier ever say one way or tother if Joe was dropping to 57?

If this happens, then I’ll pick AFAC (TM) to man the spot.

Other is down in the room now, will he improve enough to crack the line-up?

Seriously, did Hoosier ever say one way or tother if Joe was dropping to 57?

If this happens, then I’ll pick AFAC (TM) to man the spot.
Corby said on his show he can confirm Joe Lee is going 157. Thus, I think the plan is to wrestle Facundo at 165. My guess is SVN, Facundo, Bartlett all redshirt in the Fall. If Cael decides Facundo isn't ready, I think Joe can opt to move up back up if he wants. If Facundo stays in RS and Joe stays down, I think Mason Manville or Dunbar goes at 165.

For the record, I think Alex's defense is ready. He is insanely hard to score on. For example, Bernie Truax was 4th at 174 this year and they wrestled in freestyle in November and he wasn't able to take Alex down (but he was able to big brother and shove him OOB 4 times) Question is, can Alex develop some an offensive arsenal and be ready to score at NCAAs.

Corby said on his show he can confirm Joe Lee is going 157. Thus, I think the plan is to wrestle Facundo at 165. My guess is SVN, Facundo, Bartlett all redshirt in the Fall. If Cael decides Facundo isn't ready, I think Joe can opt to move up back up if he wants. If Facundo stays in RS and Joe stays down, I think Mason Manville or Dunbar goes at 165.

For the record, I think Alex's defense is ready. He is insanely hard to score on. For example, Bernie Truax was 4th at 174 this year and they wrestled in freestyle in November and he wasn't able to take Alex down (but he was able to big brother and shove him OOB 4 times) Question is, can Alex develop some an offensive arsenal and be ready to score at NCAAs.
So, given all that, who is your best guess as to who will be starting at 165 come tournament time?

Reactions: Shot of Espresso
I think people on here are really underrating Facundo’s offense. Yes, right now his defense is probably ahead but his defense is world class so that makes sense. He actually has a wide range of attacks and the ability to attack both sides with a couple of attacks that are very high level. His duck under is beautiful and he has really nice knee pull to his opponent’s right leg. Also has a high crotch and some low level/ankle pick attacks. All of his attacks are going to have to get crisper and his set-ups/handfight is definitely going to need improvement but overall as an incoming freshman his offense is at a very high level. Being in the Penn State room he is going to continue to grow and I see his career being in the Nolf, Joseph, Hall, AB category.
I really hope Joe Lee can make 157 because I think he will be so much better there. His strength will be a huge benefit at 57. Team wise getting him at 157 and Facundo at 165 makes the team stronger in my eyes.

I think people on here are really underrating Facundo’s offense. Yes, right now his defense is probably ahead but his defense is world class so that makes sense. He actually has a wide range of attacks and the ability to attack both sides with a couple of attacks that are very high level. His duck under is beautiful and he has really nice knee pull to his opponent’s right leg. Also has a high crotch and some low level/ankle pick attacks. All of his attacks are going to have to get crisper and his set-ups/handfight is definitely going to need improvement but overall as an incoming freshman his offense is at a very high level. Being in the Penn State room he is going to continue to grow and I see his career being in the Nolf, Joseph, Hall, AB category.
I really hope Joe Lee can make 157 because I think he will be so much better there. His strength will be a huge benefit at 57. Team wise getting him at 157 and Facundo at 165 makes the team stronger in my eyes.
He won the Junior Schalles award so he obviously racked up a ton of pins. Just curious how it looks against top HS competition and then obviously college competition. Only Keegan O'Toole was able to cleanly finish on him at Junior Nationals.

Facundo is going to get baptized in the room and in a big way very soon but he's going to come out of it a very special wrestler.

Reactions: NittanyChris
He won the Junior Schalles award so he obviously racked up a ton of pins. Just curious how it looks against top HS competition and then obviously college competition. Only Keegan O'Toole was able to cleanly finish on him at Junior Nationals.

Facundo is going to get baptized in the room and in a big way very soon but he's going to come out of it a very special wrestler.
Facundo has had quite a few matches against Manny Rojas, a top 2022 recruit headed to Iowa State. Their matches have typically been 9-3, 11-4 types. Even the DQ loss -- Facundo was up 5-2 in the 2nd, DQ was for a slam on a double that would've made it 7-2.

Rojas is very good. 2x Michigan state champ at 189, but he's really a 170. Won Super 32 last fall at 170 and won Fargo last month at 170. But Facundo is at 170, so Rojas has been a 189 during the folk season.

Last year at Tyrant Duals, Facundo beat James Rowley (Cadet World silver medalist) 4-3, and moved up to 182 to beat Rutger prize recruit Brian Soldano 3-1 SV.

I think you have to hope for a Nico-like freshman year for Facundo. Defense is going to keep him in just about every match, but he'll lose the tough ones early due to lack of offense. And from there you hope he can figure out how to get a takedown when he needs to/ride to knock a couple guys off in March. 2nd obviously isn't a fair expectation, especially at 165, but I could see him sneaking on the back half of the podium. At a weaker weight, you could maybe hope for top 5, but 165 is wild.

I think you have to hope for a Nico-like freshman year for Facundo. Defense is going to keep him in just about every match, but he'll lose the tough ones early due to lack of offense. And from there you hope he can figure out how to get a takedown when he needs to/ride to knock a couple guys off in March. 2nd obviously isn't a fair expectation, especially at 165, but I could see him sneaking on the back half of the podium. At a weaker weight, you could maybe hope for top 5, but 165 is wild.
165 is deep and tbh I don’t think it’s a foregone conclusion that Mekhi or Griffith moves up. Shane even said on Baschamania he isn’t sure he’s going 174 since he isn’t putting on a lot of weight. Mekhi I feel was always speculation. If both of them stay then it instantly is one of the deepest weights with Keegan, Bull, Shane, Mekhi, Wick off the bat then throw in Wittlake, Wentzel, Valencia, Kharchla? Someone VERY good isn’t going to AA as it is off that list.

hopefully it will be the person who can get over the freshman' shut out' in the room - I say this based on so many of our wrestlers discussing their first year in the room.....

165 is deep and tbh I don’t think it’s a foregone conclusion that Mekhi or Griffith moves up. Shane even said on Baschamania he isn’t sure he’s going 174 since he isn’t putting on a lot of weight. Mekhi I feel was always speculation. If both of them stay then it instantly is one of the deepest weights with Keegan, Bull, Shane, Mekhi, Wick off the bat then throw in Wittlake, Wentzel, Valencia, Kharchla? Someone VERY good isn’t going to AA as it is off that list.
My hot take is that Kharchla wins the weight. That bracket will be nuts.

giphy.gif

Facundo.

Also, a year or two from now, I want to watch Carter and Facundo roll. I just imagine them both getting to legs and then freakish defense resulting in them back on their feet.

How many TDs did Carter give up last year? 4?

Reactions: NittanyChris
Facundo.

Also, a year or two from now, I want to watch Carter and Facundo roll. I just imagine them both getting to legs and then freakish defense resulting in them back on their feet.

How many TDs did Carter give up last year? 4?

2 to Washington
2 to Kemerer
1 to McNally

I bet they're rolling around a ton right now and Alex is getting decimated by Carter as part of his initiation to Penn State just like Carter was getting decimated when he first got here.

Last edited:
Not a bad prediction ... he looked fantastic in Free before his injury last year (think he beat Mekhi like 9-2)

The bracket next year could potentially be an all timer. There are 2 already champs if Mekhi, Shane stay. Wick has been Top 4 twice. Hard to imagine Keegan and Kharchla not winning titles in their career. Wentzel was a finalist last year and obviously there's Bull who despite what anyone wants to say about his NCAA performance, everyone knows how good he is.

I mean I'm not even including guys like Cameron Amine, Zach Hartman right now either. How the season goes and brackets play out will matter a ton. WrestleStat has Demetrius Romero at 165 also!

The main reason I am not the biggest fan of pulling Facundo's RS is I just hate the thought of him using eligibility and not getting on the podium. Luckily, the people actually in charge of the team don't have a losers' mentality like me. I bet if Cael/Casey sends Facundo, the thought that he won't be on the podium and score a ton of points isn't even crossing their mind with how talented he is.

SVN looked BIG compared to Joey McKenna in a picture he posted a couple weeks ago.

I love me some Dunbar - he’s from the town next to my hometown and has some great athletic qualities- but his highest finish at National Preps was 4th. I doubt he’s going to be ready to start at Penn State his 2nd year in the room.

Im guessing 49-65 goes SVN, Joe Lee, Facundo with a Bartlett redshirt. Unless Nick Lee stiffs HoosierLion and bumps up making room for Bartlett at a more natural weight.

Last edited:
Nick Lee 141. I think you may see Barraclough 149 early before SVN shirt is pulled. 157 Joe Lee. And at 165 my opinion is we see Facundo right away
I think Gary Steen definitely goes in the Fall. Sorry to do this guys but if for some reason he doesn't, the only explanation is Cael is still thinking of a potential Suriano transfer. Dead serious, that would be the only reason. Gary has been preparing to start all offseason and is a BIG 125 pounder now. However, I don't think Cael will pull him if there's a risk he doesn't even start (after all, Gary can wrestle 20 matches and start wrestling duals in January)

After what happened last year, I think Cael wants Robbie HEALTHY HEALTHY before ever sending him back out. Willie mentioned timeline wise, Robbie might be "cleared" to go in January and get an itching to go but Cael I imagine would shut that down rather than rush him back in.

Reactions: d-1980
I think Gary Steen definitely goes in the Fall. Sorry to do this guys but if for some reason he doesn't, the only explanation is Cael is still thinking of a potential Suriano transfer. Dead serious, that would be the only reason. Gary has been preparing to start all offseason and is a BIG 125 pounder now. However, I don't think Cael will pull him if there's a risk he doesn't even start (after all, Gary can wrestle 20 matches and start wrestling duals in January)

After what happened last year, I think Cael wants Robbie HEALTHY HEALTHY before ever sending him back out. Willie mentioned timeline wise, Robbie might be "cleared" to go in January and get an itching to go but Cael I imagine would shut that down rather than rush him back in.
Agree the plan is for Steen to go. The Robbie situation in January will depend on how Steen is doing. If he's holding his own then Robbie will sit if he's not then look for Robbie to go if cleared

Agree the plan is for Steen to go. The Robbie situation in January will depend on how Steen is doing. If he's holding his own then Robbie will sit if he's not then look for Robbie to go if cleared
Hate to see consecutive seasons where Robbie competes at less than 100%.

Robbie was doing great last year with less than 2 months of legitimate mat time, he probably was a Top 12 ish guy just from an eye test by the end. He beat Ragusin who was the 11 seed and he figured out Heinselman in the 3rd go (who was the 10) and was right there with Lamont/Barnett (both back half AAs)

I was looking for him to make a jump into AA this year but now I just want him healthy.

Interesting IF Lewis & Griffith do decide to both go up.
Makes 3 retuning champs at the weight: FR, SO & JR [that can't happen very often].
Plus the 3 PA guys [HHidley, Kemerer, Labs] and a handful of others sprinkled around.
I'll still take Rockstarri

Robbie was doing great last year with less than 2 months of legitimate mat time, he probably was a Top 12 ish guy just from an eye test by the end. He beat Ragusin who was the 11 seed and he figured out Heinselman in the 3rd go (who was the 10) and was right there with Lamont/Barnett (both back half AAs)

I was looking for him to make a jump into AA this year but now I just want him healthy.
I agree. Of course we all defer to the coaches’ judgement, but I’d rather not see Robbie unless he is truly 100%.

I hope everything you've said will come to fruition, offensive-wise. His match with Kennedy is still fresh on my mind.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT