ADVERTISEMENT

Who will be starting at 165 come tournament time?

Who will be starting at 165 come tournament time?

• Total voters
I hope everything you've said will come to fruition, offensive-wise. His match with Kennedy is still fresh on my mind.
Not remotely worried about a match from the beginning of his junior year in high school lol. Want to talk about a fresh match? When Kemerer beat Starocci 7-2 at Big Tens then Starocci flipped the result in 2 weeks. Cael doesn't recruit on straight high school recruits for a reason. The improvements Alex is going to make in the room under Cael and Casey are going to be astronomical.

Not remotely worried about a match from the beginning of his junior year in high school lol. Want to talk about a fresh match? When Kemerer beat Starocci 7-2 at Big Tens then Starocci flipped the result in 2 weeks. Cael doesn't recruit on straight high school recruits for a reason. The improvements Alex is going to make in the room under Cael and Casey are going to be astronomical.
Starocci lost after his JR year to Abe Assad at cadet world trials.

3 years later, Starocci is a national champ and Assad got beaten out by Jaws.

james-bond-jaws.gif

Last edited:
Mason Manville has stepped up......literally in weight ....to fill in at various points against big-time opponents. I am hoping he gets a legit chance to shine at 165. Really rooting for him to do well.
yea I like Mason he wrestled any weight and did pretty well!!

Starocci lost after his JR year to Abe Assad at cadet world trials.

3 years later, Starocci is a national champ and Assad got beaten out by Jaws.

james-bond-jaws.gif
Not to be a Debbie downer or anything, but not all loss is the same. The way Facundo lost to Kennedy, he had no answer. That said, I am not losing my hope on him because I have faith in the staff and what they saw in him and his skills.

Don't get me wrong, I am not worried. Even if he finished in the top 3-5, I would be more than thrilled. But you're right: Cael and the staff are great in developing our recruits.

Not to be a Debbie downer or anything, but not all loss is the same. The way Facundo lost to Kennedy, he had no answer. That said, I am not losing my hope on him because I have faith in the staff and what they saw in him and his skills.
I’ll take Cael and crew when it comes to middle/upper-weight improvement over any coaching staff not based in Dagestan.

Even odds Patrick Kennedy plateaus early. Call it the Grant Gambrall fallacy

Mason Manville has stepped up......literally in weight ....to fill in at various points against big-time opponents. I am hoping he gets a legit chance to shine at 165. Really rooting for him to do well.
I wouldn’t mind seeing that! I almost forgot about him.

I’ll take Cael and crew when it comes to middle/upper-weight improvement over any coaching staff not based in Dagestan.

Even odds Patrick Kennedy plateaus early. Call it the Grant Gambrall fallacy
He will RS this year. PK is the real deal. He goes with everyone in the room around his weight just fine

We can come up with lots of examples of guys who had nothing against an opponent, and later it didn't matter.

Offhand: Cassar vs. Bulk Job at the Scuffle. Cenzo vs. Isaiah White in HS. Nico's SR year vs. Tomasello. Several guys in Q's SO year.

Here's another one: James English losing 12-2 to Grajales at B10s.

Once again, it was his junior year of high school, he's literally just starting getting coached by the best middleweight coaches in the country (by a wide margin) Second, PK is a fantastic wrestler, nobody is denying that. He was clearly a better wrestler than Alex October of 2019 and most Iowa fans (and PSU fans) said if Kemerer hypothetically didn't come back, they were in very good hands regardless. I'm worried how they look March of 2023.

I can list so many examples of times it looks like our wrestlers had no answer to a kid and no amount of coaching can help them overcome it. Oh wait, I already did, Carter at Big Tens vs NCAAs this year lol.

Last edited:
We can come up with lots of examples of guys who had nothing against an opponent, and later it didn't matter.

Offhand: Cassar vs. Bulk Job at the Scuffle. Cenzo vs. Isaiah White in HS. Nico's SR year vs. Tomasello. Several guys in Q's SO year.

Here's another one: James English losing 12-2 to Grajales at B10s.
Cassar went from losing (pretty handily IMO) to Garrett Hoffman to beating Kollin Moore in like 2.5 months

Once again, it was his junior year of high school, he's literally just starting getting coached by the best middleweight coaches in the country (by a wide margin) Second, PK is a fantastic wrestler, nobody is denying that. He was clearly a better wrestler than Alex October of 2019 and most Iowa fans (and PSU fans) said if Kemerer hypothetically didn't come back, they were in very good hands regardless. I'm worried how they look March of 2023.

I can list so many examples of times it looks like our wrestlers had no answer to a kid and no amount of coaching can help them overcome it. Oh wait, I already did, Carter at Big Tens vs NCAAs this year lol.
I did make a provision to allow for some room for improvements due to Cael and our stellar coaching staff. If Alex gets anywhere near top 3-5 range at 165 lbs weight this year, it's a credit to the coaching staff is all I am saying. If he ends up as a champion (a la, Starocci), the Hawkeyes fans will go nuts.

That said, sounds like a lot of you's kinda are brushing off the match with Kennedy because it was in his Junior year. I can't because that would be in denial. However, I will use that match as a baseline to see the progress of both throughout their careers (a la, Brooks vs. Wittlake). We can start the comparison between the two once they hit the mat in college and it will be exciting.

Last edited:

Cassar had no answer for Cael (partially kidding for those who won't get it) right up until the system created one for Gable. The kid who walks in the door from HS is not the same as the kid who runs out on to the mat in blue and white.

I agree circumstances probably drive Alex to start one year too early and he will take some lumps, but he is a unique talent and HS loses for any of our kids tend to fade into oblyvion with time. I remember when some questioned recruiting Nick Lee after he lost to Chad Red. There are countless others...

Heres the trend with Iowa they wrestle too notch all year and peter out by nationals. Cael will have Facundo peaking at Nationals that's been the difference almost every year

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
Agree the plan is for Steen to go. The Robbie situation in January will depend on how Steen is doing. If he's holding his own then Robbie will sit if he's not then look for Robbie to go if cleared
PSU always has good 125 they just need to be stronger,thats the problem!!

I believe Nick Lee vs Chad Red in high school vs college is another example
Chad Red was/is a stud. How many people were questioning Cael's choice when he got decked by Ryan Diehl in the first round of NCAA's his freshman year? A lot more. But then Nick showed he has the heart of a Lion.

Chad Red was/is a stud. How many people were questioning Cael's choice when he got decked by Ryan Diehl in the first round of NCAA's his freshman year? A lot more. But then Nick showed he has the heart of a Lion.

Chad Red lost in the first round that year too and came back for 7th beating among others, Ryan Diehl in the wrestlebacks.

Reactions: creamery freak
I'm hoping for the following middle and upper weights, which would be PSU's best line-up to top Iowa. Not sure Dean can make 174lbs, but this is his best shot at breaking the starting line-up.

157: J. Lee
165: Starocci
174: Dean
184: Brooks
197: Beard
HWT: Kerkvliet

I'm hoping for the following middle and upper weights, which would be PSU's best line-up to top Iowa. Not sure Dean can make 174lbs, but this is his best shot at breaking the starting line-up.

157: J. Lee
165: Starocci
174: Dean
184: Brooks
197: Beard
HWT: Kerkvliet
Coach - I'm hearing on 247 that Michael is very fired up by Dean coming to take what is his and it's lit a fire under him. Sounds like you instilled a warriors mentality in him from a young age coach!

Dean to 174? Hard to guess if he would have a tank to compete at a top 4 level.

More likely Dean to 184 and Brooks redshirts, which is highly unlikely.

It would be great to be a fly on the wall to watch Beard and Dean go at it. I don't believe any of the current rumors pointing either way.

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
ADVERTISEMENT