ADVERTISEMENT

Who will be starting at 165 come tournament time?

Who will be starting at 165 come tournament time?

• Total voters
Dean to 174? Hard to guess if he would have a tank to compete at a top 4 level.

More likely Dean to 184 and Brooks redshirts, which is highly unlikely.

It would be great to be a fly on the wall to watch Beard and Dean go at it. I don't believe any of the current rumors pointing either way.
That would get our biggest names in the lineup but absolutely won't happen lol.

Dean to 174? Hard to guess if he would have a tank to compete at a top 4 level.

More likely Dean to 184 and Brooks redshirts, which is highly unlikely.

It would be great to be a fly on the wall to watch Beard and Dean go at it. I don't believe any of the current rumors pointing either way.
Dean vs Beard makes me miss the Keystone Classic.

The Shak vs Morelli final that went to OT was an absolute war and probably the closest PSU fans will ever get to seeing anything resembling a wrestleoff.

I'm hoping for the following middle and upper weights, which would be PSU's best line-up to top Iowa. Not sure Dean can make 174lbs, but this is his best shot at breaking the starting line-up.

157: J. Lee
165: Starocci
174: Dean
184: Brooks
197: Beard
HWT: Kerkvliet
Looks too much like an OK St weight cutting lineup for my taste.

tjb is Michael’s long time coach, FWIW. If he says that’s Max’s best chance at the lineup, then I’m 👀

Reactions: Ja1339
I don't think a mythical 174lb version of Dean beats the reigning 174lb national champion (who just beat Nolf, Marsteller and Wick) out for his slot, forcing him down to 165.

tjb is Michael’s long time coach, FWIW. If he says that’s Max’s best chance at the lineup, then I’m 👀
I'm hearing something similar on 247's board also like I mentioned. Keep in mind, Michael was working on basically 6 weeks last year of a season (first match in February) and thrashed his knee against Amine (didn't need surgery but he was banged up)

To be honest, in a straight wrestle off, I would take Michael all day. As it's been mentioned, can Michael pace himself for 7 minutes and then for a 3 day tournament? Funny enough, this is the first time in his career Cael can really work with Michael on a full season for it.

Also - I'm not sure if it was @Hoosier Lion that said this but someone mentioned the cut to 157 for Joe won't be that bad. Optics don't work but Joe never looked like a big 165 anyways.

I was told by a friend of the Lee family when Joe was beginning at PSU, that he was able to fairly easily flex up or down in weight and could adapt from 157 - 174 without much problem. It's been a couple of years, so I can't say for sure that's still applicable, but that's what came out of a conversation at that time.

I don't think a mythical 174lb version of Dean beats the reigning 174lb national champion (who just beat Nolf, Marsteller and Wick) out for his slot, forcing him down to 165.
Who said anything about forcing?

I'm skeptical of such a lineup change, but if it were to happen, it would be by the team agreeing to do it. Starocci isn't magically dropping to 165 after losing a wrestle-off, he would be planning ahead.

I'm skeptical of such a lineup change, but if it were to happen, it would be by the team agreeing to do it. Starocci isn't magically dropping to 165 after losing a wrestle-off, he would be planning ahead.

Good point.

And man, what a nasty lineup that would be, if everyone was healthy and functional. That said, Dean at 174 seems highly unlikely to me. That's the sticking point.

CSTAR does the PSU version of 4 NCAAs at 4 weights by going 174, 165, 174, 184, 197 over 5 years.....

Wow. This is certainly intriguing. At the least, I’m guessing tjb, as Beard’s long-time coach, knows a bit more about the situation than the average poster.

5s6ozk.gif

Cassar had no answer for Cael (partially kidding for those who won't get it) right up until the system created one for

Cassar had no answer for Cael (partially kidding for those who won't get it) right up until the system created one for Gable. The kid who walks in the door from HS is not the same as the kid who runs out on to the mat in blue and white.

I agree circumstances probably drive Alex to start one year too early and he will take some lumps, but he is a unique talent and HS loses for any of our kids tend to fade into oblyvion with time. I remember when some questioned recruiting Nick Lee after he lost to Chad Red. There are countless others...

Anyone that questioned Nick Lee after the loss to Red was ignorant.

Red was undefeated through 4 years of HS with 4 State Titles. Quick review: Indiana has one class and no split between private and public schools. There is ONE State Champion at each weight.

Nick, had an injury that season and sat out the whole season. He wrestled in 2 matches at Team State Duals and that's it before the State Series. He would have walked thru State at another weight but went 132 to challenge Red. Nick never showed fear at all, with his only two HS losses to Stevan Micic (frosh vs. Sr) and Red. Questioning his heart, ability and long term potential at that point would have simply been a result of not understanding the kid.

On the topic of 165–Kharchla is wrestling right now in his wrestle off on BTN+—massive knee brace, but he’s looking really good. Up 12-2 after 1. 19-4 TF at the buzzer in the 2nd.

Decatur beat D’Emilio in OT.

Romero is banged up and not competing vs Jordan

Last edited:
Reactions: danoftw
I'm hoping for the following middle and upper weights, which would be PSU's best line-up to top Iowa. Not sure Dean can make 174lbs, but this is his best shot at breaking the starting line-up.

157: J. Lee
165: Starocci
174: Dean
184: Brooks
197: Beard
HWT: Kerkvliet
Why not have Starocci at 125?

Reactions: creamery freak
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT