ADVERTISEMENT

Who will burn a redshirt?

pointingdogsrule

Jan 26, 2014
Just read an article where 5 players are now at the 4 game limit. Others at 3 games.
Who do you think will play the 5th and burn the redshirt?
I would guess Sutton, Allan, Singleton.
Very interested particularly in Allar.
Thanks.

Reactions: Online Persona
The players who have played 4 already are burning theirs outside of an injury in practice this week.

The ones with 3 will be dependent upon all the usual: progress, injuries to others, situations. It's possible you don't see these guys until perhaps Rutgers a la Kobe King and Buddin last year.

Reactions: Online Persona
Just read an article where 5 players are now at the 4 game limit. Others at 3 games.
Who do you think will play the 5th and burn the redshirt?
I would guess Sutton, Allan, Singleton.
Very interested particularly in Allar.
Thanks.
If Allar is a 5-year player, previous projections and evaluations would be very wrong.

He is a definite pro prospect -- in my opinion, the question is whether he is at PSU for 3 years or 4 years

If Allar is a 5-year player, previous projections and evaluations would be very wrong.

He is a definite pro prospect -- in my opinion, the question is whether he is at PSU for 3 years or 4 years
If you look at the "Unread Posts" in the upper right corner of this page, which I know is different for everybody, mine shows a hint (I actually read this somewhere else) that Clifford was injured in the game against CMU and Allar will be starting against NW. Take it for what it's worth. Just a rumor at this point.

Last edited:
Allar being the backup from the beginning of the season and already playing in 4 games, along with Franklin's continued comments on getting him playing time every game, seems to indicate he is 100% not redshirting.

The 7 that have played in all 4 games and look as if they will play in every game this season are:
Singleton (RB)
Allen (RB)
Allar (QB)
Evans (WR)
Sutton (DE)
Carter (LB)
Durant (DT)

Two more true freshmen have played in 3 games:
Miller (CB)
Winston (Safety)
It would not surprise me to see both Miller and Winston also burn their redshirts before the end of this season.
With Porter leaving after this season and Dixon and Hardy also being upper classmen there is a need to get a young CB or two ready for next season. Miller already seems to be ahead of the redshirt freshman Davis as well as Driver so we may see the staff commit to his development with game experience this season
Winston seems to be a pretty physical player already and the staff may choose to use him on special teams in the bigger games, along with advancing his development at Safety, burning his redshirt as well.

The only other true freshmen players that have seen the field so far are Driver, Flowers and Wylie, which seems to indicate that they will redshirt unless there would be a rash of injuries at their positions.

Not sure what article says that there are 5 players at 4 games played, but 247 article says the 7 listed above.

Last edited:
Is Clifford hurt?
That's the rumor I heard. He looked fine on the sidelines. If Allar starts I'm guessing that Cliff is "a little" banged up. Could be a win-win scenario. In other words, Cliff is available if the sky falls.....but if Allar can get a game under his belt while the training wheels are still there and Sean has 2 weeks to be 100% for Michigan...
All speculation and nothing more on my part ;)

That's the rumor I heard. He looked fine on the sidelines. If Allar starts I'm guessing that Cliff is "a little" banged up. Could be a win-win scenario. In other words, Cliff is available if the sky falls.....but if Allar can get a game under his belt while the training wheels are still there and Sean has 2 weeks to be 100% for Michigan...
If the rumor is true and Allar is spectacular in his first start, will there be a qb controversy heading into Michigan? We know what we have in Clifford, who can easily win or lose a game on his own.

If the rumor is true and Allar is spectacular in his first start, will there be a qb controversy heading into Michigan? We know what we have in Clifford, who can easily win or lose a game on his own.
Sean "Wally Pipp" Clifford?

Who knows -- seems unlikely

This may come as a shock to some...
1. I don't know if Allar is in fact starting
2. Looking good against NW ...if Cliff starts and looks good what will the CAC rule?
3. If Cliff is banged up a bit and that's why they are starting Allar....your question is answered.
4. Fans create QB controversies.....coaches laugh at them.

Reactions: jimarnp
According to the RUMORS you are spot on, actually.

I usually am.....just sometimes folks don't like the message.....LOL:rolleyes:
And here comes another RUMOR...perhaps it will show, that Allar is making his first start...it is a MAJOR break that it comes this week rather than in Ann Arbor...

And here comes another RUMOR...perhaps it will show, that Allar is making his first start...it is a MAJOR break that it comes this week rather than in Ann Arbor...
Well, I'm sure the script for the season(QB speaking) was agreed upon by all. These things aren't made up as you go along. Clifford had to be "welcomed" back.
Injury is not scripted of course. So, while Cliff doesn't need to be exposed to more damage, Allar gets a start and Cliff is 100% for UM. Again this is just my hunch.
If both are healthy, Clifford IMO would have to play poorly or PSU would have to lose 2 or 3 in a row to see a permanent switch......again just my opinion.

Allar doesn't matter. He's got only 2 more years at PSU.
I remember people saying the exact same thing when PSU burned Anthony Morelli’s redshirt by letting him throw a Hail Mary as a true frosh.

The funny thing is it ended up helping PSU as the QB the year after Morelli’s senior year (Daryl Clark) ended up being better.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
With the transfer portal and everything else going on in the sport, I’m guessing redshirting is going to be used less and less by all teams.
Yeppers, very few of these guys will stay four years, let alone five. Barring injury they will heading to NFL ASAP. Redshirting will be mostly for linemen or marginal players that take time to mature and develop.

We can’t even get players to stick around for bowl games,😱

Remember Morelli shitting the bed at Ann Arbor and then emabarrassingly jawing at hecklers behind the bench looking to fight. Strong arm...but the football IQ didn't match.
It’s crazy to think that Morelli, Christian Hackenburg, and Rashard Casey never played in the NFL but Kevin Thompson, Matt McGloin, and Trace McSorley did. Never would have thought that based on freshman hype.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Well, I'm sure the script for the season(QB speaking) was agreed upon by all. These things aren't made up as you go along. Clifford had to be "welcomed" back.
Injury is not scripted of course. So, while Cliff doesn't need to be exposed to more damage, Allar gets a start and Cliff is 100% for UM. Again this is just my hunch.
If both are healthy, Clifford IMO would have to play poorly or PSU would have to lose 2 or 3 in a row to see a permanent switch......again just my opinion.
I think that if Allar starts this weekend and plays well, Clifford isn't starting against Michigan. Of course it is a road game and will be a big one, so maybe JF goes with the old guy. Clifford has been really good, and I stress really good, except for periods where he gets way off for whatever reason. The second quarter on Saturday is a good example and was difficult to watch as he had open receiver after open receiver and was crazy erratic without much pressure. On most plays they did not even get a hand on the throws. It is not just that they we were suddenly able to run the ball and this made protection better and thus increased accuracy. It's not an occasional bad throw, it is a sudden change and then a sudden change back to being hot. If Clifford is on we score most drives. If he's off we go three and out until he gets hot again. We need to do whatever we can to keep him hot throughout the game. I don't have the answer.

It’s crazy to think that Morelli, Christian Hackenburg, and Rashard Casey never played in the NFL but Kevin Thompson, Matt McGloin, and Trace McSorley did. Never would have thought that based on freshman hype.
I was just thinking about this type of hype and was hoping that Mr. Allar doesn't get pushed into the fire too soon. Hack had his early moments and was not helped by his coaches...but he also couldn't throw a screen pass. Morelli just didn't thrive versus more talented teams. Rashard had a bunch of off the field stuff and a few highlight reel plays but in the end wasn't the difference maker we hoped he would be.

Drew looks like he has all of the potential in the world...would hate to see him lay an egg at home like Hack did versus NW in Franklin's first year. To me, that game, which started favorably but quickly went South, was the sign that the wheels were falling off the wagon.

Rain is likely for at least part of the game which adds another dimension. I'm excited to finally see him and the other frosh in person. Just want us to win with whomever is our best shot to do so. Don't need a 75% Cliff vs Illinois redux either.

We'll see..can't wait

And you've hit on the part that many refuse to look at......College Football and the NFL are two entirely different games. I love the knuckleheads that love to throw shade at some very successful CF teams that don't flood the NFL with starting QBs,

If you look at the recent Georgia CF run in the last 5 to 6 years, they had Jake Fromm and now Stetson Bennett fueling those runs at QB. Fromm is a journeyman in the NFL and it's anyone's guess how much longer he'll be in the NFL. I believe he's currently a free agent, If you look at the scouting reports on Bennett, he's undersized and doesn't have the bigtime physical skills that NFL teams drool over. But he has a good shot at leading Georgia to back-to-back COLLEGE NCs.

And yet there are many fan bases that love roasting Bennett -----Tennessee and especially Florida. They're the same schools that are getting their butts kicked by Georgia and Bennett every year. Funny how that works, huh?

ADVERTISEMENT