ADVERTISEMENT

Why does Michigan suck so bad in bowl games??

PA college fan

Jun 26, 2001
Michigan is 21-29 all time in bowl games including 0-6 since 2016(42 percent win percentage). Harbaugh may be worst bowl
Coach in history of the sport— no
Wonder he wants to jump to pros and this is even with NCAA citations and crooked refs in his back pocket — Illinois latest victim as Big 10 commish keeps UM safe for THE Game!!

PSU is 31-19-2 (62 percent)in Bowl Games and 17-6 in major bowls.

Michigan is 21-29 all time in bowl games including 0-6 since 2016(42 percent win percentage). Harbaugh may be worst bowl
Wonder he wants to jump to pros and this is even with NCAA citations and crooked refs in his back pocket — Illinois latest victim as Big 10 commish keeps UM safe for THE Game!!

They can't bring their refs to the bowl games and haven't had that luxury for decades.

Who cares but it is an absolute joke for anyone to compare Bo Schmuckbechler to JoePa. That idiot Schmuckbechler couldn't beat the little sisters of the poor at the Rose Bowl. Joe's bowl record was outstanding and most times he outcoached his opponent. Beyond that and more importantly, Joe was a great man who oozed class, Schmuckbechler, not so much.

They can't bring their refs to the bowl games and haven't had that luxury for decades.
Big Ten referees and video replay officials aren’t at UM bowl games. No implicit bias - holding on UM OL actually gets called, fumbles are ruled as fumbles on the field, as opposed to assuming runner was down (Mike Hart), Ticky- Tac pass interference on UM opponents isn’t called (PSU 1999 and 2007), etc.

Same situation for OSU (26-28 in bowl games)- 2003 and 2014 highway robberies vs PSU don’t happen in bowl games.

This is the truth, whether or not the corrupt Big Ten muckity- mucks face it or not.

Simple answer is... both.
Both, certainly. UM is usually gifted one win a season due to calls/non calls. This season it was vs Illinois. Don’t follow OSU much, so can’t speak about them - although the 2014 corrupt act by the conference gifted them a win vs PSU (video technical glitch at exactly the best moment to keep OSU undefeated?? Whose buying that bilge?). May have been the key to their NC that season.

I have a proposed solution to this nightmare of pro UM and OSU bias: schedule “the Game” earlier in the season. That way, there will be no implicit bias by the conference referees/ video officials to get both teams to that game with as few losses as possible. Isn’t interesting that’s as college football has changed so much, with so many traditions utterly destroyed and gone forever, that this conference still maintains the tradition that most benefits its 2 chosen ones? 🤔

That’ll be a 15 yard Unsportsmanlike on the Penn State fanbase - Defamation of Michigan
witvoet-1jpg-9f41d9fbaab4d6a5.jpg

Who cares but it is an absolute joke for anyone to compare Bo Schmuckbechler to JoePa. That idiot Schmuckbechler couldn't beat the little sisters of the poor at the Rose Bowl. Joe's bowl record was outstanding and most times he outcoached his opponent. Beyond that and more importantly, Joe was a great man who oozed class, Schmuckbechler, not so much.
Am I remembering correctly, that the year that BYU won the Natty, they beat a 5-5 Michigan team in the bowl to win it?!!!

Am I remembering correctly, that the year that BYU won the Natty, they beat a 5-5 Michigan team in the bowl to win it?!!!
Lol. No! It was a 6-5 Michigan team.

A team, incidentally, that was not initially invited. That team was PSU and Joe decided that at 6-5 ourselves, we would not go to the Holiday Bowl.

The question is does their help in conference result just in better bowl opponents than they deserved or does that help become a crutch that causes them to fail when it is removed out of conference?
Since the leather helmets were put on the shelf, the Michigan program has been built to beat Ohio State and win the Big ten. That's it. Not only do they get rolled n bowl games, check out their record against good OOC competition. It's pathetic

Lol. No! It was a 6-5 Michigan team.

A team, incidentally, that was not initially invited. That team was PSU and Joe decided that at 6-5 ourselves, we would not go to the Holiday Bowl.
That's right! I was trying to remember. Thanks for the jaunt down memory lane. (And I have purposely tried to forget all of that!!!)

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
Seriously: the conferences emphasis on “the Game” proves the bias: why is this game elevated above all other conference games? We know why: because the conference only cares about, promotes, and supports 2 teams: UM and OSU.

This game is the Sina quo non of bias - explicit, obviously, but worse is implicit - the conference has made it a desire to get UM and OSU to “the Game” with as few losses as possible - preferably none. It is so obvious, and yet there are some who won’t face it.

Why is UMs bowl record so bad (21-29)? Why is OSU’s bowl record so mediocre (26-28)? Because they are supported, skids greased, and the beneficiaries of implicit bias all season long in conference, and always have been. That support doesnt exist in bowl games, with no Big Ten referees or video replay officials.

PSU and other conference teams should demand an END to “the Game”, at least as the last scheduled game of the season. Every other college football tradition is being trashed or ended - this one needs to be as well.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Westcoast24
The amount of irrational jealousy/hatred that some of our fans have towards Michigan (and Ohio St for that matter) is sickening…

I am not “ a fan”. I went to PSU, University Park campus for 4 years and graduated - I am an alumnus. And I’ve seen the Big Ten’s bias towards UM and OSU for 30 years and am sick of it. You be you, and dismiss the obvious. I refuse to be silent about it.

The Big Ten can go to the nether regions as far as I’m concerned, and their bias, implicit and explicit can go with them.

Last edited:
The amount of irrational jealousy/hatred that some of our fans have towards Michigan (and Ohio St for that matter) is sickening…
How many games have you attended at the Shoe? How often have you and your children been called pedophiles, and every other filthy name in the book? How often have you smacked opposing fans on the back when your team made a good play?

How many games have you attended at the Shoe? How often have you and your children been called pedophiles, and every other filthy name in the book? How often have you smacked opposing fans on the back when your team made a good play?
Been there once…along with many other road venues. Sometimes I’ve run into a few aholes, other times it’s been great…which is exactly what I see at our place when it comes to treatment of visiting fans.

Been there once…along with many other road venues. Sometimes I’ve run into a few aholes, other times it’s been great…which is exactly what I see at our place when it comes to treatment of visiting fans.
I have attended every game at the Shoe since we came into the B10. Been treated awful every time. Not sure why I put up with the garbage. Must be because I'm within 50 minutes of Columbus and it's my easiest game to get to. But honestly, OSU fans are the rudest people I've ever met at sporting events.

Simple. No help.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT