ADVERTISEMENT

Why it's imperative Iowa loses in the regular season (for all B10 teams)

psuguy43

Sep 28, 2002
For the image of the B10 conference, It is imperative that Iowa loses at least one game before the B10 championship game. Why, you ask? Hear me out here:

My fear is they are going to cruise through to the Big 10 championship game because of their easy schedule, and then the Big Ten East teams will beat up on each other so much that the winner of the Big Ten East will have two losses (an Ohio State team with one conference loss still has two losses overall)

If history is any indicator, two losses precludes a school from the college football playoffs. Therefore, even with the Big Ten East winner crushing Iowa in the championship game, Iowa will be sitting there with only one loss and will take the college football playoff bid (as 2016 showed us, you don't have to be the Big 10 champion to go to the playoffs).

Iowa would then make the college football playoffs and absolutely embarrass the conference on a national level when they are blown out by an elite team (most likely as a 4 seed, possibly facing UGA in the semis).

I know that I am getting ahead of myself, big time, with so much football still yet to be played. However, this is why it is imperative that Iowa loses at least once during the regular season. Purdue, Wisconsin, and Nebraska are probably the best chances of this happening.

Boiler Up!

For the image of the B10 conference, It is imperative that Iowa loses at least one game before the B10 championship game. Why, you ask? Hear me out here:

My fear is they are going to cruise through to the Big 10 championship game because of their easy schedule, and then the Big Ten East teams will beat up on each other so much that the winner of the Big Ten East will have two losses (an Ohio State team with one conference loss still has two losses overall)

If history is any indicator, two losses precludes a school from the college football playoffs. Therefore, even with the Big Ten East winner crushing Iowa in the championship game, Iowa will be sitting there with only one loss and will take the college football playoff bid (as 2016 showed us, you don't have to be the Big 10 champion to go to the playoffs).

Iowa would then make the college football playoffs and absolutely embarrass the conference on a national level when they are blown out by an elite team (most likely as a 4 seed, possibly facing UGA in the semis).

I know that I am getting ahead of myself, big time, with so much football still yet to be played. However, this is why it is imperative that Iowa loses at least once during the regular season. Purdue, Wisconsin, and Nebraska are probably the best chances of this happening.

Boiler Up!
I just can't bring myself to care. Beyond Penn State, I really couldn't care less what other Big teams do. If Iowa gets embarrassed, so what? The bottom line is if PSU wins, everything else falls into place. Penn State lost to Iowa under crappy circumstances. It's unfortunate, but I'm way more concerned about the remainder of Penn State's season than what Iowa does. In fact other than a little schadenfreude, I really don't take Iowa into consideration at all.

If Iowa makes the CCG, they'll likely get hammered. A one loss, CCG losing Iowa will not be in the playoff unless some other teams collapse.
The B10 has to get a bid. Right now, let's pencil in Cincy and an SEC team. Then, ND, ACC, and PAC12 are done. Let's say Oklahoma gets the third bid (though I'm certainly not convinced about them, they could end with multiple losses, knocking Big 12 out of contention).

Then, who gets that 4th bid? It would have to go to either the Big Ten or a second SEC school. We've never seen two teams in the same conference make the playoffs.

The B10 has to get a bid. Right now, let's pencil in Cincy and an SEC team. Then, ND, ACC, and PAC12 are done. Let's say Oklahoma gets the third bid (though I'm certainly not convinced about them, they could end with multiple losses, knocking Big 12 out of contention).

Then, who gets that 4th bid? It would have to go to either the Big Ten or a second SEC school. We've never seen two teams in the same conference make the playoffs.

Alabama and Georgia already did it.

Reactions: bluewhiteApos

Two from a conference has happened before. I'm not sure how you don't know that. If Alabama and UGA run the regular season table and Alabama wins the CCG, they'll both get in over a one loss Iowa. An undefeated OU and Cincinnati will get in over Iowa.

Boiler Up!
I think Nebraska gives up on the season after the Minny loss today.

Iowa’s schedule is too easy. The Big Ten needs to tell OSU and Michigan it’s not all about them and even up the divisions. (I know- dream on but this conference holds itself back with how it caters to those 2).

Iowa already showing just how ordinary they are. I posted that they were the weakest #2 team I’ve ever seen this late into a college football team as long as I can remember and the Iowa trolls were scoffing. And the Boilers are proving me right, although most Nittany Lion fans already knew that

Last edited:
Reactions: psuguy43
The scenario you lay out is a very, very low probability. The loser of the B10 title game is not an attractive playoff option. You would have to have Cincy lose which probably won't happen, either GA or Bama or both have 2 losses, O$U loses before the championship game, Okie has 2 losses, etc.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Right now it looks like Georgia and Bama are in- assuming neither tanks the second half of the season.

There is already a big push by the talking heads for Cincinnati. Their schedule is horrible and they’re getting too much praise for beating very average Indiana and Norte Dame teams. The PC push will be on for Cincy and I don’t see the committee going against that this year.

Clemson and the ACC are out.

That leaves 1 spot for Oklahoma, Oregon, the big ten champ, and a very average but overhyped ND (assuming they run the schedule).

The push for an expanded playoff will heat up again around Thanksgiving.

Right now it looks like Georgia and Bama are in- assuming neither tanks the second half of the season.

There is already a big push by the talking heads for Cincinnati. Their schedule is horrible and they’re getting too much praise for beating very average Indiana and Norte Dame teams. The PC push will be on for Cincy and I don’t see the committee going against that this year.

That leaves 1 spot for Oklahoma, Oregon, the big ten champ, and a very average but overhyped ND (assuming they run the schedule).

Hope SMU beats Cincy.

Reactions: psu00
Iowa already showing just how ordinary they are. I posted that they were the weakest #2 team I’ve ever seen this late into a college football team as long as I can remember and the Iowa trolls were scoffing. And the Boilers are proving me right, although most Nittany Lion fans already knew that
1000% agreed. We win by multiple touchdowns if Clifford stayed in the game

really??????

I must be in some kind of vapor lock... i see all this negative iowa talk (granted, not their biggest fan lol) and keep asking... isn't a one or 2 loss psu to a #2 iowa better than that loss being to #19 iowa?

I must be in some kind of vapor lock... i see all this negative iowa talk (granted, not their biggest fan lol) and keep asking... isn't a one or 2 loss psu to a #2 iowa better than that loss being to #19 iowa?

A one loss big ten champ psu with wins over ranked osu,msu,michigan,big ten champ game opponent, and probably auburn isn’t going to need a “good loss”.

A 2 loss psu won’t need a good loss either but for different reasons.

I really wish my fellow PSU fans would give up this pointless whine about 2016. First, our boys lost their bowl game that season to a 3-loss team. I wouldn’t want to crow about a worthless CFP playoff participation ribbon as they weren’t winning anything else.

Secondly, a theoretical 1-loss Iowa team presented in this original post would not have played anything close to what the 2016 tOSU team played.

lastly, the 2016 tOSU team played at least as tough of a schedule as PSU did even with counting the CCG, and they had a better record. tOSU had beaten UW in the regular season and beat OU OOC while our boys lost to Pitt.

Let’s just hope Clifford is healthy enough by the tOSU game and they find a way to win out the year.

I really wish my fellow PSU fans would give up this pointless whine about 2016. First, our boys lost their bowl game that season to a 3-loss team. I wouldn’t want to crow about a worthless CFP playoff participation ribbon as they weren’t winning anything else.
But you're ignoring the other reasons which tick people off...
  • Prior to the CCG even being played, Delany was lobbying for OSU to be selected
  • The committee said wins were more important than the conference championship
  • In 2017 the committee said more weight would be given to conference championships
  • In 2017 Delany was lobbying for OSU over others because...... wait for it........ because OSU was the conference champion adding a conference championship should mean something.

I see it this way:
GA beats Bama - leaves 3 open spots(Bama will have 2 losses)
The last 3 spots, IMHO would be:
Oklahoma
A 1 loss B1G/PAC champion
I think Oregon loses 1 more, which put Cincy in.
So, IF GA beats Bama.
I think it plays out like this:
1 GA
2 Oklahoma
3 B1G 1 loss team
4 Cincy

Now, IF Bama beats GA, Cincy can kiss the CFB goodbye, because I think it plays out like this:
1 Bama
2 GA
3 Oklahoma
4 B1G 1 loss team

ADVERTISEMENT