ADVERTISEMENT

Why "Social Media" is great....

@El-Jefe - In the match footage that reveals new gems every time you watch it, I think I spotted our boy CJ Magrum in the crowd looking pained as Bo turned the tables on Martin. I think he’s in the black sweater behind the poor Ohio State fan in red shirt and grey hoodie with one hand on his head. You see him at about 5:40 standing. Then he peaks right over the guy’s shoulder and puts both hands on his head. Looks just like him - meathead wearing glasses Sly Stallone style to make himself look intelligent.

I think you're right, that is Magrum. And that's a podium-winning surrender cobra.

For everybody else's benefit: he's in the upper RH corner of the screen, just off the bottom LH corner of the score. He's behind the anOSU fan noted, also just in front of a guy wearing a Lehigh sweatshirt + PSU cap.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
* Even though Bo had a slight edge in their series, it was because Myles had a late start in the sport - Myles would show he was better when they got into freestyle (seems like the whole family employs the “Myles is always improving” excuse for predicting future wins and excusing losses
Martin got such a late start in the sport that he was recruited to wrestle for a private National Preps school (McDonough) 2 hrs away from home.

Bo etched his mark in Ohio State wrestling infamy with that pin. That video was erased by every OSU fan and is a major save on my DVR and many other PSU fan's DVRs. Thanks Bo it never gets old!
Imagine the asshattery from Greg Martin and that whole family if Bo lost in 2018. Bo saved our sanity

He (with help from Max Dean) left them with 1 title and a bunch of excuses

I did a deep dive on YouTube of Bo’s matches with Martin and found a probable family member of Martin (Rossie Martin) laying out a litany of trash talk and excuses:

* Bo was never in the first title match (note it was 4-3 Bo in the second when he got thrown)
* Bo got lucky in 2nd title match
* Even though Bo had a slight edge in their series, it was because Myles had a late start in the sport - Myles would show he was better when they got into freestyle (seems like the whole family employs the “Myles is always improving” excuse for predicting future wins and excusing losses
The best part of the comments was Ohio State fans claiming Bo pinned himself.

Get in line behind Iowa fans claiming Bo pinned himself.

I did a deep dive on YouTube of Bo’s matches with Martin and found a probable family member of Martin (Rossie Martin) laying out a litany of trash talk and excuses:

* Bo was never in the first title match (note it was 4-3 Bo in the second when he got thrown)
* Bo got lucky in 2nd title match
The trajectory is so high that Bo left for MMA.

Bo was just so talented, looking for offense from every possible position. The Sammy Brooks and the spadle is another excellent example. Maybe 1-2% of elite wrestlers are wired this way. What a pleasure it was to watch his career. Some forget that he was an unfortunate roll-through away from being our first 4x'er.

This clip remains my poster child for a rule change that gets little attention, but sorely needed before it gets exposed as a huge flaw and cost some poor wrestler a title.

If Ryan had a challenge available, and challenged MiMar not getting 2 back points (debatable), and won, one of the most iconic NCAA moves and National championships (team and individual) might have been lost. They would have restarted with MM on top leading 4-0.

I still seek continuation after a challenge. Without this, a major oppotunity remains for a travesty in the making. Every year we see critical points lost in fiery sequences, and in this case the consequences could have been most catastrophic.

Sure Bo probably would come back and win anyway, but maybe not, and the timeless 'moment' would have been erased forever.

Last edited:
I've thought about that scenario and truthfully, I feel the referees (even in Cleveland) would have left it as is or would have said "I awarded two nearfall but the exchange happened so fast I didn't signal in time" Nobody will want to be known as the referee that changed something like that, especially when anyone with eyes can see it had no bearing on the entire exchange.

Also, Tom was YOLO throwing bricks all tournament to the point I wondered if he only had 3. He threw one to save Moore from a first round upset. Karma is a B.

I've thought about that scenario and truthfully, I feel the referees (even in Cleveland) would have left it as is or would have said "I awarded two nearfall but the exchange happened so fast I didn't signal in time" Nobody will want to be known as the referee that changed something like that, especially when anyone with eyes can see it had no bearing on the entire exchange.

Also, Tom was YOLO throwing bricks all tournament to the point I wondered if he only had 3. He threw one to save Moore from a first round upset. Karma is a B.
Yeah, I think he was ready to ring up 2 NF and would have used your argument to come to the right conclusion if Ryan threw a YOLO brick.

I think he also threw one in an early round match that was even more meaningless - difference btw a rd of 16 or 12 finish

Reactions: McScoreley
The balls on Bo though. It was a beautiful double. He could have conceded and thought I can come back from 2-1 but instead he runs one of the most complex and risky moves thinking “screw it, I’m winning now”

Though in Bo’s own words … he’s been doing that move since he was six. No need to panic because he knew he was going to his back.

Bo did tell Cael before the finals he was going to let Myles take him down, then pin him.

Another interesting tidbit.

Moore in an interview before the PSU OSU match said he believed Mykes should have won the match by fall and he could beat Bo by being aggressive and pushing the pace. Moore then went out and found out what happens if you try actually wrestling Bo. It as though Bo had seen the interview.

The reason Bo was on his back was because it was part of the move … the video explains it perfectly. Bo intentionally knew he could elevate Myles hips (hence why he couldn’t “set them”) for the flip. Everything happened the way Bo planned it. Myles had the unfair pressure of saving the team title when he’s actually one of the few OSU wrestlers who actually held up to his seed that tournament.

Bo did tell Cael before the finals he was going to let Myles take him down, then pin him.

Another interesting tidbit.

Moore in an interview before the PSU OSU match said he believed Mykes should have won the match by fall and he could beat Bo by being aggressive and pushing the pace. Moore then went out and found out what happens if you try actually wrestling Bo. It as though Bo had seen the interview.
The one commonsense statement that Gibbons made about Bo is " you have to know when to let go of Bo". Some guys didn't and ended up on their back.

Not a track guy AT ALL, but been interesting to follow MJ and others around whatever event is going on.

A lot of track twitter bitches and moans about the exact same shit we do. They even have the same arguments amongst themselves lol.

Not a track guy AT ALL, but been interesting to follow MJ and others around whatever event is going on.

A lot of track twitter bitches and moans about the exact same shit we do. They even have the same arguments amongst themselves lol.
Biggest difference is runners get to record a time. If you’re second best runner at a distance in history, everyone will know and most likely appreciate it. If you’re the second best wrestler ever, no one might ever know it.

i listen to the flotrack podcast as well and it's uncanny how much overlap there is but they're too silo'd to even realize it. i remember the track guys saying like "why do we have 8 all americans per event? who does that?"

Reactions: mcpat
Iowa fans right now:

giphy.gif

totally agree. same reason they didn't overturn suriano's takedown on a very blatant headgear pull against fix. no referee has the guts to do it.

but i think if ryan had challenged and they actually followed the letter of the law, it would have restarted 4-0 which would be insane. thank goodness it didn't happen and hopefully never does. would have been a travesty.

totally agree. same reason they didn't overturn suriano's takedown on a very blatant headgear pull against fix. no referee has the guts to do it.

but i think if ryan had challenged and they actually followed the letter of the law, it would have restarted 4-0 which would be insane. thank goodness it didn't happen and hopefully never does. would have been a travesty.
Agree, nobody wants to change the outcome of a national title. In Fix's case, it would literally be a referee saying "The National Title is not yours, it's his" and in Bo's case it wouldn't be TOTALLY changing the outcome but going from thinking you pinned to win it all for yourself and the team to rewrestling down 4-0 ... that would mentally destroy most wrestlers.

Quite honestly, Fix's case was egregious because Fix was on the way to his own takedown and the grab was a total desperation move by Suriano. That move completely changed the outcome. I also felt the stalemate when Fix got his boots in was pretty bad as well. But I think the main reason they didn't change the outcome is because technically John Smith didn't have any challenge bricks left. Him and Fix (rightfully) just yelled and they "reviewed" it. Fix's hair ironically probably gave them an out (though even with his hair blocking the headgear, it's pretty obvious Suriano full on grabbed it.)

EDIT: I think even if tey followed the letter of the law, I do think the referee says, 2NF Martin, I would have signaled for that if Martin somehow got off his back (after I was done looking for the pin). Pin stands.

Reactions: hlstone
Another example, I think when RBY wrestled Seth Gross in Wisconsin and Seth got the opening spladle (with 2NF) before RBY reversed him to make it 4-2, I thought it was pretty clearly 4NF by Gross and Bono challenged. Had they reversed it, it puts Gross on top up 6-0 instead of 5-2 Gross (he would easily escape) which is astronomically different.

Another case where I think referees don't want to make THAT egregious of a change when normal wrestling is happening. They should just add in "continuation" now.

ADVERTISEMENT