ADVERTISEMENT

Will Tony Rojas start at LB?

PSUWrestlingFanSince2011

Mar 22, 2022
Kid needs to put on some weight but I think him being paired with Jacobs and Carter will be downright scary for opponents. He enrolled early, and with our weight training program I think he could be ready to start right away.

Eventually.

PSU is loaded at LB unless there are injuries. Carter and Jacobs will both get All B10 recognition and there is nice competition at Mike with King and Elsdon who are both pretty experienced as well.

And with DeLuka and Wylie there is a whole 2 deep returning.

On top of that Diaz plays only 2 LB's frequently.

As good as the 2023 LB class is, and even with both Rojas and Robinson enrolling early, there is no need to burn their redshirts unless the staff believes one or more of them would be game changing on special teams. JMO.

Eventually.

PSU is loaded at LB unless there are injuries. Carter and Jacobs will both get All B10 recognition and there is nice competition at Mike with King and Elsdon who are both pretty experienced as well.

As good as the 2023 LB class is, and even with both Rojas and Robinson enrolling early, there is no need to burn their redshirts unless the staff believes one or more of them would be game changing on special teams. JMO.
He'll probably split time with King if I had to guess. Not a fan of Elsdon and Deluca seems to play on passing situations. I think he'll play early and will force the shirt to be burned.

Reactions: GregInPitt
He'll probably split time with King if I had to guess. Not a fan of Elsdon and Deluca seems to play on passing situations. I think he'll play early and will force the shirt to be burned.
You believe the Rojas will split time with King? King is at Mike and it is my understanding that Robinson has been targeted to practice at Mike this Spring.

Rojas reportedly was 200 lbs or under when he enrolled. Hard to believe that even if he gains 10-15 lbs during Winter S&C he would have the size to play Mike LB.

With Rojas's reported speed and athleticism he may compete with DeLuka to back up Jacobs at Sam. But with the Sam coming off the field in obvious passing defenses he's not likely to see much game action there as the 3rd team Sam LB.

At Will, Wylie is reportedly going to back up Carter. But unless he's injured or PSU is up 4 TD's Carter won't leave the field much, and Carter will reportedly move to Mike in for the obvious passing downs with Jacobs moving to Will.

I agree on Elsdon. Maybe Robinson will earn some snaps at Mike and pass Elsdon up by mid season.

Last edited:
NO. Rojas is an OLB that will be backing up Jacobs to start his career. And will have to beat out De Luca to even do that (which I don't think he will). Kid is 200 pounds. Going to need a year in the S&C program to get himself up to Big Ten strength requirements. He looks like a good one, but would not expect him to play other than special teams in 2023.

Reactions: GregInPitt
The only path to Rojas starting is:

Carter moves to Mike
Jacobs back in the Will
Rojas having a Carter-type impact and essentially forcing his way onto the field.

I see it as less than 5% possible, injuries withstanding.

Eventually.

With the portal, early entry, off field issues and so on there is NO reason to keep redshirts on anyone who can contribute.
MOST players will never see their 5th year. FACT.

Kid needs to put on some weight but I think him being paired with Jacobs and Carter will be downright scary for opponents. He enrolled early, and with our weight training program I think he could be ready to start right away.
posted previously his high school tape looks like a perfect fit for the old "hero" position in PSU defenses of yore. Somewhere between strong safety and line backer. At or below 200 he looks like a strong safety. he is quick and certain in his tackling, shoots gaps but concerned he will not be able to physically match up all day at LOS in Big.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Great problem to have. Inbound freshman LB that looks like he's shot out of a cannon going after ball carriers but needs to gain a little size. Solid LB depth and a couple of All Big 10 starters. Seems like Rojas will have the time to do what he needs to do to take a starting spot in 2024.

Great problem to have. Inbound freshman LB that looks like he's shot out of a cannon going after ball carriers but needs to gain a little size. Solid LB depth and a couple of All Big 10 starters. Seems like Rojas will have the time to do what he needs to do to take a starting spot in 2024.
Reminds me of visiting my nephew around Christmas. Their 1.5 year old son has a room full of toys. But naturally we got him some more. It's just the nature of children to focus on the new, shiny ones.

King is a year younger than Elsdon so King stands at least as good a chance to also make a big improvement in his performance at Mike this off season. Joe used to say that the best thing about freshmen is that they become sophamores...... The development process for college players is different for each players. That's part of what makes college football fun to follow.

The only path to Rojas starting is:

Carter moves to Mike
Jacobs back in the Will
Rojas having a Carter-type impact and essentially forcing his way onto the field.

I see it as less than 5% possible, injuries withstanding.
Yep, Rojas has his work cut out for himself in the S&C program.

Seems like that path is what Wylie followed as well, coming in light and sitting while he adds the muscle needed to play LB in the B10.

If Rojas is the real deal he still may have to wait behind Carter to get a starting spot. Keys may have something to say about who from the 2023 LB class plays early as well.

Some see Carter moving to Mike. But if the staff sees potential for Robinson to break out at Mike, as well as King and Elsdon improving, it seems to me that Diaz won't take a chance on moving Carter anywhere away from Will where he has proven that if he improves at all he'll be an All American in just his 2nd year at PSU.

At one of the fortune 500 companies I worked for guys used to sometimes say, "the thoughest things to fix are the things that aren't broke". Unless Carter could move to QB and be the second coming of Peyton Manning I don't see how he could do more for PSU to win games than what he has shown he can do by playing Will LB in Diaz' defense.

NO. Rojas is an OLB that will be backing up Jacobs to start his career. And will have to beat out De Luca to even do that (which I don't think he will). Kid is 200 pounds. Going to need a year in the S&C program to get himself up to Big Ten strength requirements. He looks like a good one, but would not expect him to play other than special teams in 2023.
Who do you think is more beloved by a fan base, the back up QB, or incoming recruits?

posted previously his high school tape looks like a perfect fit for the old "hero" position in PSU defenses of yore. Somewhere between strong safety and line backer. At or below 200 he looks like a strong safety. he is quick and certain in his tackling, shoots gaps but concerned he will not be able to physically match up all day at LOS in Big.
Agree. Looks, and could play, like old school “hero”. — LB’s this year are very talented in the 2 deep. Will likely make 3 deep, and possibly move up throughout the season depending on weight, S&C , and need. Could also make the 2 or 3 deep as an emergency safety, if injuries dictate. Would be awesome to redshirt him, but I’m betting he gets a bunch of mop up LB time, and may be heavily used on special teams due to speed/athleticism

Last edited:
Eventually.

I am starting to think the only reason coach Diaz frequently deploys only 2 LBs, is because there is a lack of quality at the Mike LB position. Experience means very little if it does not include the talent and ability to cover the pass and stuff the run. The current Mike LBs have some glaring weaknesses which will be exposed against power run teams like Michigan and pass efficient teams like Purdue and Ohio State.

Reactions: tlbakernc

Rojas passed deluca the day he checked in. Deluca is 209lbs. Rojas will pass that shortly. Probably already passed it. Players can put on 10-20 lbs the week after the season ends.

Based on his physical appearance and current roster, I think he redshirts. He will get 4 games at LB and possibly burn his shirt playing special teams.

ADVERTISEMENT