ADVERTISEMENT

Will we see Porter, Washington, or Fashanu again this season?

Jerry

May 29, 2001
All three are likely 1st-2nd round draft guys with not a lot left to prove to the NFL.

To be clear, I have no idea nor any inside knowledge. The coach says he expects Porter at least back. But the argument against it and what's going through their heads is what happened to Blake Corum (Michigan) and Hendon Hooker (Tennessee) yesterday: big NFL paydays possibly put at risk...though Corum's current injury status is still unclear.

Hooker had worked himself up to probably the 2nd round. Corum was on a short list of Heisman hopefuls whose NFL size might be problematic but was still projected as a 2nd-3rd round pick.

Hey, don't shoot the messenger. This is simply the logic of where things stand now. You'll recall that half our starting D opted out of the bowl last year. So why should these three guys come back to play the last regular season game against the likes of 17-point underdog Michigan State...especially if they're thinking to sit out the bowl anyway.

Honestly, it's hard (at least for me) to blame the kids as much as I'd love to see them back on the field. In any case, it will be interesting to hear what Franklin says on the subject this Tuesday.

Hooker and Corum are much different situations. Both are on (well, Hooker was) playoff potential teams.

Our players have no conference title nor playoff hope. I doubt we see any of them again this year. If Washington's injury is serious, it probably causes him to return. He's not a 2nd round pick without a great combine. I don't think he has the physical attributes to have a great combine yet healthy.

Olu is a mystery. Anybody even know what his injury is? I'd hope his lack of games/age swings him back, but this feels like a first round flu holdout.

JPJ they say appendectomy, but if he doesn't play vs Sparty, I doubt he plays the bowl.

All three are likely 1st-2nd round draft guys with not a lot left to prove to the NFL.

To be clear, I have no idea nor any inside knowledge. The coach says he expects Porter at least back. But the argument against it and what's going through their heads is what happened to Blake Corum (Michigan) and Hendon Hooker (Tennessee) yesterday: big NFL paydays possibly put at risk...though Corum's current injury status is still unclear.

Hooker had worked himself up to probably the 2nd round. Corum was on a short list of Heisman hopefuls whose NFL size might be problematic but was still projected as a 2nd-3rd round pick.

Hey, don't shoot the messenger. This is simply the logic of where things stand now. You'll recall that half our starting D opted out of the bowl last year. So why should these three guys come back to play the last regular season game against the likes of 17-point underdog Michigan State...especially if they're thinking to sit out the bowl anyway.

Honestly, it's hard (at least for me) to blame the kids as much as I'd love to see them back on the field. In any case, it will be interesting to hear what Franklin says on the subject this Tuesday.
Just wait until the playoffs expand and more people sit out regular season games because you can lose 2 or 3 and still make it in.

Reactions: Jerry

Marshall, as a former coach, do you think those three guys should play this week and in the bowl if they physically could? Would you think less of them if they didn't?

Not trick questions at all...just interested in your opinion on this.

I would think that if they could play they should play this week. Unfortunately I doubt Washington can play considering he was in a boot. Porter with an appendectomy probably lost a lot of weight and with our secondary being pretty good I wouldn’t risk it if he wasn’t 100%. Olu has a first round grade but from my viewpoint he needs more reps.

Reactions: marshall23

Porter and Fashanu are 1st round picks to 2nd at worst. Washington was projected late 4th to 5th before his injury.

Marshall, as a former coach, do you think those three guys should play this week and in the bowl if they physically could? Would you think less of them if they didn't?

Not trick questions at all...just interested in your opinion on this.
I don't think there is a right or wrong.
1. If Porter just had an appendectomy ....how could he be 100%
2. I saw what appeared to be Fasnanu walking with the aid of a cane after the Indiana game.
3. The word is Washington is out for the season....ankle ??? wearing a boot.

Many here wanted to bench Clifford, regardless of results, and play Allar to gain experience for next year.
This when PSU was 6-2.
At 9-2 and being a solid favorite over MSU....why the angst over 3 injured players? Why aren't our fans applying the same logic to other positions they did at QB?
....PSU seems to have played well in their absence, Dixon, etc. in the secondary,
Shelton has burned his red shirt and is playing well....let them heal.

I think Washington will be back, Fashanu (I will let that play out) since I have a hard time seeing how a guy can play 3 or 5 games and be a #3 choice and Joey is gone no matter what.
As for the bowl game....PSU's opponent will have opt outs as well. I don't like it, but that's today college game.
Just like we won't like what happens when the portal opens.

I would think that if they could play they should play this week. Unfortunately I doubt Washington can play considering he was in a boot. Porter with an appendectomy probably lost a lot of weight and with our secondary being pretty good I wouldn’t risk it if he wasn’t 100%. Olu has a first round grade but from my viewpoint he needs more reps.
PSU has players that are as good as Joey Porter at 85%.

I don't think there is a right or wrong.
1. If Porter just had an appendectomy ....how could he be 100%
2. I saw what appeared to be Fasnanu walking with the aid of a cane after the Indiana game.
3. The word is Washington is out for the season....ankle ??? wearing a boot.

Many here wanted to bench Clifford, regardless of results, and play Allar to gain experience for next year.
This when PSU was 6-2.
At 9-2 and being a solid favorite over MSU....why the angst over 3 injured players? Why aren't our fans applying the same logic to other positions they did at QB?
....PSU seems to have played well in their absence, Dixon, etc. in the secondary,
Shelton has burned his red shirt and is playing well....let them heal.

I think Washington will be back, Fashanu (I will let that play out) since I have a hard time seeing how a guy can play 3 or 5 games and be a #3 choice and Joey is gone no matter what.
As for the bowl game....PSU's opponent will have opt outs as well. I don't like it, but that's today college game.
Just like we won't like what happens when the portal opens.

Thanks, makes sense.

We don't need those guys to beat Michigan State in any case.

It'd be nice for the coach to come clean on Washington and Fashanu if they're injured to that extent. The policy had been to fess up to season-ending injuries, and they ain't gonna fool the NFL in any case.

As for Porter, it was Franklin himself who said Joey would be back.

Personally, I think all three are history at Penn State. They likely wouldn't have played in the bowl game anyway, and I honestly don't blame them.

In fact, if I were the Dad of any of those guys, I'd be advising them to protect themselves and their futures first. After all, Franklin did that very thing for himself last year during the maneuvering on the contract. These kids aren't dumb.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Thanks, makes sense.

We don't need those guys to beat Michigan State in any case.

It'd be nice for the coach to come clean on Washington and Fashanu if they're injured to that extent. The policy had been to fess up to season-ending injuries, and they ain't gonna fool the NFL in any case.

As for Porter, it was Franklin himself who said Joey would be back.

Personally, I think all three are history at Penn State. They likely wouldn't have played in the bowl game anyway, and I honestly don't blame them.

In fact, if I were the Dad of any of those guys, I'd be advising them to protect themselves and their futures first. After all, Franklin did that very thing for himself last year during the maneuvering on the contract. These kids aren't dumb.
PSU fans complain all the time about injury info....I think you would find that few coaches are giving detailed injury info. In Porter's case, he got permission from the family to reveal his medical information. I believe this was to squelch rumors that Porter was opting out for the draft.

Just wait until the playoffs expand and more people sit out regular season games because you can lose 2 or 3 and still make it in.
LOL that's not even remotely true
Do players sit out in basketball because 68 teams make the Big Dance?

Bad analogy. Basketball doesn't have the injury risk of football.
Doesn't alter anything. Kids don't sit out meaningful games. Expanding the playoff makes it more likely kids wouldn't sit out games in mid/late November.

Right now Porter shouldn't play even if healthy--if it was a 12 or 24 team he'd have incentive to play

Parker Washington is unlikely to be drafted in the first few rounds (based on his measureables, stats and the fact that he has a injury of unknown seriousness). He probably should come back next season (if he is indeed done for the season, which has not been confirmed (that I have seen) by any real news outlet).

Wildcard for Olu is apparently his family (and he) have a huge respect for/dedication to education. They may value his degree over an early pay day. He can certainly take out an insurance policy against injury to insulate himself from major financial harm if he comes back.

Porter *should* be ready to go (health wise) by next Saturday. I have no idea what his decision making process would be. Obviously his dad would have a lot of input there.

Injuries aside, linked below is an analysis that has Porter, Fashanu, and Washington all rated 2nd round or better...Porter and Fashanu well ahead of Washington.

I don't see Washington going in the 2nd round, but the 3rd wouldn't shock me. I think he helped himself greatly in the Ohio State game.

The injury situation is a big wild card though...

Jer: They won't be needed against Sparty, which is truly awful this season. But they could be useful in the bowl game. I hope they come back, but would understand a bit if they are advised not to because of their draft potential. It worked out pretty well for Micah Parsons.

Bowl is nothing but a scrimmage anymore. Hope they officially turn over the reins to Allar in that game. My take is both Fashnu (way to young) and Washington (needs a big yr with Allar) will be back. Porter is gone even if he doesn’t have appendicitis....

Jer: They won't be needed against Sparty, which is truly awful this season. But they could be useful in the bowl game. I hope they come back, but would understand a bit if they are advised not to because of their draft potential. It worked out pretty well for Micah Parsons.

Laf, agreed re Sparty...and by the way, what in the world happened to them this year. They were ranked in the top-15 preseason but the wheels came off even before the end of September.

On the other hand, they do have wins against Wisconsin and Illinois (in Champaign), so they're capable of putting up a fight this Saturday. However, the bookies are regarding them like Rutgers, which makes me nervous.

If you read down in the thread, I made clear that I fully understand a decision by 1st- and 2nd-round draft kids to opt out. As a fan, I don't like it, but it's the system we have now. It is a little ridiculous when you have guys who don't end up drafted at all, as was the case with a couple of our players last year, also sitting out.

Reactions: LafayetteBear
Bowl is nothing but a scrimmage anymore. Hope they officially turn over the reins to Allar in that game. My take is both Fashnu (way to young) and Washington (needs a big yr with Allar) will be back. Porter is gone even if he doesn’t have appendicitis....

Fair point about the bowls, but I doubt you'll see Allar given the reins quite yet. Clifford's last year -- unless he comes back for a 7th...I kid -- and last game. I expect Franklin to approach it the same way as other recent games.

It's a given that Porter is gone. I hope you're right about Fashanu and Washington, but I think there's a good chance they'll be gone also, especially Fashanu. Lots of NFL buzz around Olu, a kid whose draft stock suddenly rocketed this year.

Washington may have people whispering his ear too after his performance against Ohio State. I mean, it seems clear it would benefit him (and us) to come back, which I fervently hope he does, but as we saw last year, some of these guys overestimate their pro value and seek to cash in.

I certainly wouldn't take Sparty too lightly, especially their history against us. With wins against Wisky, and Illinois they can get up for this game big time and surprise us again. We have two great backs but our OL blocking, especially our young LT and marginal RT could use some help.

Reactions: Jerry and psuno1
re Sparty...and by the way, what in the world happened to them this year. They were ranked in the top-15 preseason but the wheels came off even before the end of September.

They rode K Walker 3. He is a great RB. He's probably a top 12 NFL back already.

The rankings were based off previous year success, another year of hitting the portal hard (part of the reasons they won last year, very good portal acquisitions, this year, not so much), and the contract they give Tucker is good publicity.

Reactions: Jerry
Injuries aside, linked below is an analysis that has Porter, Fashanu, and Washington all rated 2nd round or better...Porter and Fashanu well ahead of Washington.

I don't see Washington going in the 2nd round, but the 3rd wouldn't shock me. I think he helped himself greatly in the Ohio State game.

The injury situation is a big wild card though...

Most that I have seen and linked in another thread had Washington late 4th to 5th round. That was before the injury. The injury almost certainly puts him into the undrafted category.

PSU fans complain all the time about injury info....I think you would find that few coaches are giving detailed injury info. In Porter's case, he got permission from the family to reveal his medical information. I believe this was to squelch rumors that Porter was opting out for the draft.
Agreed. The NFL has a collective bargaining agreement and a process to rate player's injuries along with the potential to play. They have to declare the player's status and get fined if they don't comply.

The NCAA has no such rule because they don't have a player agreement. So the general laws apply. The kids have privacy protections. They can waive them but what coach wants to give the opponent more information? So it is convenient for both sides to hold back information.

Reactions: marshall23
ADVERTISEMENT