ADVERTISEMENT

Will you be happy if PSU wins 2 of the next 3 games?

bdgan

May 29, 2008
@ Wisconsin, OSU, and Washington is a pretty tough stretch. I don't think the defense is strong enough to win all three so I'll be happy with 2-1.

Wisconsin at night is a real tough place to play but I think PSU has the advantage because Wisconsin doesn't have a great passing attack.

I think the only way we beat OSU is if Allar has one of his best ever performances and the team can feed off the crowd.

We should beat Washington but they're not going to be an easy out, especially if there's a letdown after a loss to OSU. The Whiteout crowd might help keep them motivated.

If we win 2 of the next 3 we'll probably be ranked around 8th and will need to win out to secure a home playoff game. I wouldn't have thought it until Saturday but Maryland might be our toughest obstacle. Billy Edwards has quietly moved to the top of the BiG in passing yards with 2,113 yards (Allar has 1,492 yds with 1 fewer game). Edwards is completing 70% of his passes with 13 TDs vs 4 INT. The secondary isn't PSU's strength so it could be a tough matchup. Fortunately that game is in Beaver Stadium. Unfortunately it could be a half empty stadium because it's Thanksgiving weekend.

Reactions: NedFromYork
@ Wisconsin, OSU, and Washington is a pretty tough stretch. I don't think the defense is strong enough to win all three so I'll be happy with 2-1.

Wisconsin at night is a real tough place to play but I think PSU has the advantage because Wisconsin doesn't have a great passing attack.

I think the only way we beat OSU is if Allar has one of his best ever performances and the team can feed off the crowd.

We should beat Washington but they're not going to be an easy out, especially if there's a letdown after a loss to OSU. The Whiteout crowd might help keep them motivated.

If we win 2 of the next 3 we'll probably be ranked around 8th and will need to win out to secure a home playoff game. I wouldn't have thought it until Saturday but Maryland might be our toughest obstacle. Billy Edwards has quietly moved to the top of the BiG in passing yards with 2,113 yards (Allar has 1,492 yds with 1 fewer game). Edwards is completing 70% of his passes with 13 TDs vs 4 INT. The secondary isn't PSU's strength so it could be a tough matchup. Fortunately that game is in Beaver Stadium. Unfortunately it could be a half empty stadium because it's Thanksgiving weekend.
Considering what has happened to every other contender execpt for Oregon, I would be satisfied with that and would signup for that in blood right now.

I really don't care how we do it, but we need to end the season with one loss or less. Two isn't good enough. The easiest path, of course, is to beat everyone but tOSU. But if we go 2-1 over the next three, it means nothing if we then lose to MD or Minny.

Right now, you've got Alabama and Ole Miss both with two losses already. And there are six (ok, seven counting Pitt) teams that have not lost yet.

bdgan/bdroc, as a "friend":

"I don't think your foundation is strong enough to hold up to the wind and rain. What are you going to do when your house is destroyed?"
"I don't think you're fast enough to evade the wild animals on safari. What are you going to do when they eat you?"
"I don't think you're smart enough to score well on the SAT. Are you going to be happy at community college?"
"I don't think you're healthy enough to survive surgery. What are you going to do when you're dead?"

Seriously, guy ... give up the Eeyore shtick.

For me to feel confident that this team can truly make a splash in the playoffs and maybe make it to the final 4 or even the championship game, we need to win the games convincingly we need to win (WIS, WASH) and make it a tough game all the way to the end if we lose to tOSU. To me, that means beating WIS and WASH by at least 17 points each. If we lose to OSU, only losing by 7 or less. Then, I'll finally believe a PSU team under Franklin can play with and even beat, on our best day, any team in the country.

What triggered you this time? Was it "@ Wisconsin, OSU, and Washington is a pretty tough stretch"

"is a pretty tough stretch
I don't think the defense is strong enough to win all three
is a real tough place to play
the only way we beat OSU is if Allar has one of his best ever performances
but they're not going to be an easy out,
especially if there's a letdown after a loss to OSU.
Maryland might be our toughest obstacle.
The secondary isn't PSU's strength so it could be a tough matchup.
Unfortunately it could be a half empty stadium because it's Thanksgiving weekend."

screen-shot-2021-11-07-at-9.27.22-am.png

Last edited:
For me to feel confident that this team can truly make a splash in the playoffs and maybe make it to the final 4 or even the championship game, we need to win the games convincingly we need to win (WIS, WASH) and make it a tough game all the way to the end if we lose to tOSU. To me, that means beating WIS and WASH by at least 17 points each. If we lose to OSU, only losing by 7 or less. Then, I'll finally believe a PSU team under Franklin can play with and even beat, on our best day, any team in the country.
I know that Washington put up a lot of yards at Rutgers, but they still lost that game, and then were humiliated a couple weeks later at Iowa; that's a game that PSU should win pretty comfortably at home.

Reactions: SR108
is a pretty tough stretch
I don't think the defense is strong enough to win all three
is a real tough place to play
the only way we beat OSU is if Allar has one of his best ever performances
but they're not going to be an easy out,
especially if there's a letdown after a loss to OSU.
Maryland might be our toughest obstacle.
The secondary isn't PSU's strength so it could be a tough matchup.
Unfortunately it could be a half empty stadium because it's Thanksgiving weekend.
Maryland? Lmao

If we go 2-1 with that loss being to Ohio State then it's more of the same and we have to hope we find a way to play better in the playoff
Losing to Wisconsin or Washington would be a huge disappointment but beating Ohio State would neutralize that a little bit
Wisconsin nor Washington are ranked.
Washington lost to Wazzu, Rutgers and gave up 40 to Iowa--in what world is that tough? Because they beat a subpar Michigan team? That game is even in HV
I'm still lost about what people are worried about regarding WIsconsin. They don't do anything extremely well. Their best win is probably South Dakota or Northwestern.

I would take 2-1 in any combination though beating OSU is probably better for the resume and would probably outweight a loss to Wisconsin or Washington.

I agree Allar will have to play lights out vs OSU but really he has to vs Wisconsin as well. I am probably less worried about the Washington game than you and I'm always apprehensive about PSU playing anyone. I think the white out plus traveling from Seattle to State College will be positives--nevermind that we should be better than them across the board.

I am worried about the Wisconsin game more than the OSU primarily because my expectations for the OSU are very low. With Wisconsin, I have the 2019 Minnesota game stuck in my head (though that was not a night game). Top 3 team coming to them, excited home crowd, and we're coming off a bye. Eventually, the slow starts on defense are going to bite us in the a$$ and we aren't going to be able to dig ourselves out of it.
  • vs Bowling Green was atrocious and the excuses were even worse (IMHO)
  • vs Illinois was good in the second half but no 3 & outs in 1st half and 2 drives of 10+ plays in 1st half
  • vs UCLA was good in the 2nd half but again no 3 & outs in 1st and a couple horrible defensive lapses
  • vs USC a lot has already been said so I won't rehash it here.
Chalk it up to injuries, lack of depth with the LBs, or new coordinator (who may not be the right fit), I don't think this defense is championship quality. Hopefully, it improves over the next few weeks but I would have hoped we would have seen those improvements across the first 6 games/7 weeks and it's not.

I would take 2-1 in any combination though beating OSU is probably better for the resume and would probably outweight a loss to Wisconsin or Washington.

I agree Allar will have to play lights out vs OSU but really he has to vs Wisconsin as well. I am probably less worried about the Washington game than you and I'm always apprehensive about PSU playing anyone. I think the white out plus traveling from Seattle to State College will be positives--nevermind that we should be better than them across the board.

I am worried about the Wisconsin game more than the OSU primarily because my expectations for the OSU are very low. With Wisconsin, I have the 2019 Minnesota game stuck in my head (though that was not a night game). Top 3 team coming to them, excited home crowd, and we're coming off a bye. Eventually, the slow starts on defense are going to bite us in the a$$ and we aren't going to be able to dig ourselves out of it.
  • vs Bowling Green was atrocious and the excuses were even worse (IMHO)
  • vs Illinois was good in the second half but no 3 & outs in 1st half and 2 drives of 10+ plays in 1st half
  • vs UCLA was good in the 2nd half but again no 3 & outs in 1st and a couple horrible defensive lapses
  • vs USC a lot has already been said so I won't rehash it here.
Chalk it up to injuries, lack of depth with the LBs, or new coordinator (who may not be the right fit), I don't think this defense is championship quality. Hopefully, it improves over the next few weeks but I would have hoped we would have seen those improvements across the first 6 games/7 weeks and it's not.
The thing is is that this defense has been exceptional in the second half of games, and hardly has given up any points in the second half. Unfortunately, it seems as if they start games with lead feet and a total unawareness of what the opposition is trying to do. This has been a season-long problem, and their relative ineptitude in the first half often puts the offense in very bad field positions at best and in point deficits at worst.

I've said this previously and am not going to back away from it: this defense is at its best when Carter plays a middle linebacker position or as a rover.

The thing is is that this defense has been exceptional in the second half of games, and hardly has given up any points in the second half. Unfortunately, it seems as if they start games with lead feet and a total unawareness of what the opposition is trying to do. This has been a season-long problem, and their relative ineptitude in the first half often puts the offense in very bad field positions at best and in point deficits at worst.

I've said this previously and am not going to back away from it: this defense is at its best when Carter plays a middle linebacker position or as a rover.
Totally agree and it's eventually going to bite them where they can't dig out of that hole. Imagine being down 20-6 in Madison and that crowd going crazy and we have to start forcing things.

Carter's transition has not been ideal and I wish they would come up with a different plan so he can be used more in the middle or roaming as you noted.

I watched them against USC. They ran the ball well but PSU shouldn't have trouble in Madtown. Would like to see the defense get some takeaways to help the effort and silence the crowd.
They average a little over 4 yard a carry against SC. That doesn't concern me at all truthfully

Carter's transition has not been ideal and I wish they would come up with a different plan so he can be used more in the middle or roaming as you noted.
Carter was named one of ESPN's top 25 players so far this year. I have no idea why people think he's been anything other than great.

Penn State's defense is awesome more often than not, but maintaining a high level in 2024 was going to require some veterans to raise their game. Carter has done just that. After recording 14.5 tackles for loss in 2022-23, he's already at 11 in just six games this season. He's making a tackle on 18.4% of snaps -- one every 5.4 plays -- and against Illinois he had one of the best games you'll ever see from a defender: 9 tackles, 5 TFLs and 3 run stops, plus 6 pressures and 2 sacks. Coordinator Tom Allen lines him up everywhere from inside linebacker to defensive end, and he thrives in whatever he's asked to do.

It's always about how we lose vs if we lose to me.

Last year against OSU it wasn't that we lost, but rather how we kept throwing when Allar was missing everything.

Then even when we had some opportunities to make ground, we threw it again and lost.

I hope to win all three. Can accept a loss. But cannot accept a stupid loss.

LdN

Has anyone here watched Wisconsin play this year?
Yes, vs South Dakota, Bama, and USC. Have you watched PSU play this year? Lots of reasons to be concerned. It is fair to pick at Wisconsin's resume and performance thus far but it's equally fair to point out that we haven't been world beaters. We have done just enough at this point.

I recall both of us had different opinions on SC prior to us playing them. I think it's fair to say the game was closer to what I thought would happen but SC as a team (especially after that loss and then the Maryland loss) is what you believed.

I don't know if "happy" is the right word to use, but yeah, I'll take 2-1 over the next three games. It would set us up pretty well for a 1-loss season and a certain playoff bid...and probably a home playoff game at that.

I do think we have a shot to beat Ohio State in Happy Valley, but it's pretty difficult to feel any confidence at all after the history of recent years. One thing for sure: in order to win, guys have to make plays and it starts with Drew. Playing not to lose is a guarantee that we will lose.

As for the other games (assuming we do win 2 of the next 3), honestly, Minnesota on the road concerns me more than Maryland at home though neither game is automatic.

Yes, vs South Dakota, Bama, and USC. Have you watched PSU play this year? Lots of reasons to be concerned. It is fair to pick at Wisconsin's resume and performance thus far but it's equally fair to point out that we haven't been world beaters. We have done just enough at this point.

I recall both of us had different opinions on SC prior to us playing them. I think it's fair to say the game was closer to what I thought would happen but SC as a team (especially after that loss and then the Maryland loss) is what you believed.
Yes I've seen at least parts of all but one if their games. There's no concern
You all mistake an expectation for a guarantee. We played our C game in the first half against USC who played their 2nd best game all year. We failed to play how we should have and it almost cost us. Thankfully Wisconsin doesn't have the talent to beat us even if we play a C type game. We basically have to not show up. They're comparable to WVU (maybe) not USC

I know that Washington put up a lot of yards at Rutgers, but they still lost that game, and then were humiliated a couple weeks later at Iowa; that's a game that PSU should win pretty comfortably at home.
I thought they were pretty bad until they handily beat Michigan. Of course Illinois handily beat Michigan so maybe that's not a big deal. They play Indiana and USC the next two weeks so we'll soon know a lot more.

This team should have had these three games circled on their calendar coming into the season.

There's no point in getting to the playoffs if you can't beat the big dogs and avoid letdowns against lesser competition.

As long as this team stays healthy, they need to win out - if they really have something they want to prove. They certainly could do it. They have the talent and the OC has been fantastic so far. The D has gotten the job done - sometimes "good" is enough.

The word to the team should be, "win out and prove to these idiots who think they know everything and ranked you below a one-loss team that you have what it takes to go all the way."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT