ADVERTISEMENT

Wisonsin is next: Most intriguing matchup...

NittanyChris

Dec 3, 2001
Some very good matchups in this one! #5 Dean vs #12 Amos, and the wide-open offense of #4 Hamiti vs the defense of #14 Facundo. However, the one I really look forward to the most is #2 Gomez vs #15 SVN. In Paniro, SVN had to deal with stingy defense and came up just short. With this matchup though, its two guys are as aggressive as Hell. Of course, Gomez, has the experience and is the clear favorite here, but I want to see SVN really let it fly and see what happens. What do people think about this one? Predictions? How their styles match up? Best strategy for SVN to pull the big upset?

WE ARE!!!

Alex beat him in 2 summers ago at juniors but Hamiti is another animal in folk, especially with his ability to hammer opponents from top. I can see him riding Alex a bit. I think Alex quad podded his way out of takedowns that wouldn’t work in folk.

Defensively need to watch his ankle pick.

Gomez will be a big time test especially since he’s the 149 that goes after his opponents the most. Needless to say, do not get into upper body ties with him.

It’ll be interesting to see Dean vs Amos. I wonder if Amos will bulk up to HWT when Hillger is done. He’s a true 97kg guy that is simply too big for 197, when at his best. Amos has looked better so far this year, but not what people thought he was going to be, last year.

Gomez vs SVN will be interesting. Gomez is the anti-Paniro. If SVN avoids upper body, he might actually win this one.

Hamiti vs Facundo should be interesting. Two long 165s. I think Facundo will have a slight horsepower and motor advantage but Hamiti is a technically superior wrestler right now.

Model vs… Haines? Claw? I’m interested in seeing who comes out of the tunnel at 157.

I think Kerk turns Hillger once or twice for a controlled DEC or maybe a MAJ.

PSU solid favorites at 133, 141, 174, 184, 197, 285. If Haines goes, 157, too, I think.

Should be some good matches. SVN needs to stay away from the big stuff vs Gomez. Hamiti is tough but Alex will be ready for this one. One thing is for certain their coaches will be jumping around.

Reactions: NittanyChris
In terms of 157, it's going to be tough to gage off of anything but their gut feeling. In our Big Ten schedule, the only AA level guy that's on the schedule is Will Lewan and I think he got injured at CKLV (defaulted his last match), he was down 10-0 to Ed Scott. Hope it isn't serious but who knows what his status is going forward.

Other than that, the other names are Cobe Siebrecht (legitmately might bet he second best 157) and Paddy Gallagher. Both tough and could beat our guy but don't think anyone would bank on either placing at NCAAs right now. It's going to be hard to gage how Levi will stack up against that level guy now that the O'Connor match didn't happen and he can't go to the Scuffle unattached either.

I think it's pretty obvious to most that Levi has the higher NCAA ceiling, the question is if his ceiling is getting on the podium and if it's worth it this year. Like many said, with the recruit we have coming in at the upper weights, some flexibility to redshirt Levi later might be ideal to make sure everyone gets their maximum NCAAs.

In terms of 157, it's going to be tough to gage off of anything but their gut feeling. In our Big Ten schedule, the only AA level guy that's on the schedule is Will Lewan and I think he got injured at CKLV (defaulted his last match), he was down 10-0 to Ed Scott. Hope it isn't serious but who knows what his status is going forward.

Other than that, the other names are Cobe Siebrecht (legitmately might bet he second best 157) and Paddy Gallagher. Both tough and could beat our guy but don't think anyone would bank on either placing at NCAAs right now. It's going to be hard to gage how Levi will stack up against that level guy now that the O'Connor match didn't happen and he can't go to the Scuffle unattached either.

I think it's pretty obvious to most that Levi has the higher NCAA ceiling, the question is if his ceiling is getting on the podium and if it's worth it this year. Like many said, with the recruit we have coming in at the upper weights, some flexibility to redshirt Levi later might be ideal to make sure everyone gets their maximum NCAAs.
Levi can go to the Scuffle unattached. It’s 2nd semester now.

Reactions: HAMMER167
Levi can go to the Scuffle unattached. It’s 2nd semester now.

Apparently the Scuffle is only taking “teams” this year.

I have to imagine PSU could field a complete lineup from backups, but they’d all have to be attached.

Last edited:
Gomez is a legit threat for a title. I can't wait for Gomez vs Yanni 2 (if it happens), there will be adjustments on both sides. I won't count SVN out of anything, but this weight is now packed with some great talent.

Reactions: Idahopennstatefan
Gomez's willingness to engage makes the Gomez v SVN match one I think will be fun to watch. I also think the willingness to engage makes it quite possible SVN wins.

Facundo doesn't need to rely on reattacks. If he gets to his undertook and attacks the difference will be determined by a combination of his finishes and ability to get off the bottom.

Gomez has a style that reminds me a lot of IMar. He likes to horse guys around and is very explosive on his feet.

Whatever dude. Paniro stalled and waited for a mistake whereas Gomez will not stall and neither will Van Ness. ..go back to grammar police academy and write more tickets

Huh? You made a statement that said exactly the opposite of what you apparently intended. A few people tried to point this out to you. Don’t get upset with someone else for your mistake.

Let’s move on.

I was confused by why the term "Doppelganger" was used but held off on the chance that maybe he legitimately thought Gomez was boring (which I guess you could think that if you .... never watched him wrestle in your life)

Reactions: deish
Is this the iowa board or PSU? Johnson stalled his way to victory? How many committed shots did either guy take in that match? Neither guy was offensive at all. SVN went to the hand fight Max Murin recipe. The only wrestler who has tried to show offence against Johnson was Gomez and he got his butt kicked.
Johnson circles and slides backwards. No matter how good you are if your opponent is constantly moving away from you, shooting only puts you in an extended position.
While Johnson did handfight, it was only after SVN stepped into Johnson's retreat. Johnson's two shots where he was in deep on SVN's legs were both kneel down on the mat and allow your opponent to step into you moves, nothing involving shooting a forward moving penetration shot. Johnson constantly retreated and did score his TD when SVN was extended shooting in on a reversing target.
Johnson wrestles exactly like Isiah White. So yes, if you are constantly sliding backwards and your opponent is having to constantly step forward into you to remain engaged and you are not firing multiple shots you are stalling. At least in my opinion.

Last edited:
Is this the iowa board or PSU? Johnson stalled his way to victory? How many committed shots did either guy take in that match? Neither guy was offensive at all. SVN went to the hand fight Max Murin recipe. The only wrestler who has tried to show offence against Johnson was Gomez and he got his butt kicked.
If SVN was wearing an Iowa singlet, people here would have been complaining about his "Iowa style" wrestling: just pushing his opponent to the circle without really trying to score.

Yianni discovered that level changes and straight-on attacks didn't work on Johnson; in fact, taking a shot and getting stuck underneath was really risky. He finally scored a TD in OT by doing a shrug and going behind.

Johnson is a lot like Chaz Tucker his senior year: very low to the ground, very strong, very fast, and good at picking his shots. Tucker went 34-0 in that NCAA-cancelled year, by the way. If Johnson was better at finishing his shots than Yianni was at defending them, he would have beaten Yianni. Look out.

Johnson circles and slides backwards. No matter how good you are if your opponent is constantly moving away from you, shooting only puts you in an extended position.
While Johnson did handfight, it was only after SVN stepped into Johnson's retreat. Johnson's two shots where he was in deep on SVN's legs were both kneel down on the mat and allow your opponent to step into you moves, nothing involving shooting a forward moving penetration shot. Johnson constantly retreated and did score his TD when SVN was extended shooting in on a reversing target.
Johnson wrestles exactly like Isiah White. So yes, if you are constantly sliding backwards and your opponent is having to constantly step forward into you to remain engaged and you are not firing multiple shots you are stalling. At least in my opinion.

There are many definitions of stalling. Go rewatch Facundo and Carr and see if you think Alex fit your definition of stalling or if that is reserved for guys in red singlets. There are many different styles in wrestling, and most guys game the rules based on skill level and opponent. The counter attacks Johnson possesses have slowed his opponents actual offensive moves quite a bit. I have huge respect for SVN and expect him to end up top 5 this year and likely beat Johnson in a rematch. The thing that once separated this board from the cesspool was a willingness to admit that there are good wrestlers from multiple schools without blaming officials for losses. I'm probably reading too much in to this, but some of the excuses seem pretty black and gold to me. I promise you nearly every wrestler tried back stepping against Cael yet he wiped the mat with them. The whole world ran from Nolf with little success. SVN can and will get better. Desanto fans are still crying about these same tactics being employed by RBY.

Johnson is a lot like Chaz Tucker his senior year: very low to the ground, very strong, very fast, and good at picking his shots. Tucker went 34-0 in that NCAA-cancelled year, by the way. If Johnson was better at finishing his shots than Yianni was at defending them, he would have beaten Yianni. Look out.
Johnson will also be undefeated up to the NCAA tournament his senior year if he faces a schedule comparable to Tucker's.

There are many definitions of stalling. Go rewatch Facundo and Carr and see if you think Alex fit your definition of stalling or if that is reserved for guys in red singlets. There are many different styles in wrestling, and most guys game the rules based on skill level and opponent. The counter attacks Johnson possesses have slowed his opponents actual offensive moves quite a bit. I have huge respect for SVN and expect him to end up top 5 this year and likely beat Johnson in a rematch. The thing that once separated this board from the cesspool was a willingness to admit that there are good wrestlers from multiple schools without blaming officials for losses. I'm probably reading too much in to this, but some of the excuses seem pretty black and gold to me. I promise you nearly every wrestler tried back stepping against Cael yet he wiped the mat with them. The whole world ran from Nolf with little success. SVN can and will get better. Desanto fans are still crying about these same tactics being employed by RBY.
I appreciate and respect your insight and experiences, and I have no desire to have an argument with you.
With that said, putting Facundo out there is simply a diversion. We weren't discussing 165, we were discussing 149. We also weren't discussing Cale or Nolf. What I noticed is you do not argue that what I said is incorrect.

As far as some sort of blanket statement that this is becoming HR with the "heeeeeesssss stttttaaaaallllliiiiinnnnnn" bullcrap. I do not recall seeing a singular post that the ISU 184 was stalling, just respect for a well wrestled match with a bit overdo on the "he got lucky" aspect.

People wrestle different styles. Johnson wrestles from neutral constantly moving away from his opponent, as did White. That isn't subjective. Whether it is stalling or not is somewhat subjective, but for the past 45 plus years it is a neutral style I have believed should be called stalling and the color of the singlet has never made any difference in my opinion.

If SVN was wearing an Iowa singlet, people here would have been complaining about his "Iowa style" wrestling: just pushing his opponent to the circle without really trying to score.
You don't really have much to offer, do you? Just a guess, but a Cornell wannabe?

Reactions: KCLion
So, if you are SVN, you get ready for the eventual rematch with Johnson and you beat him exactly like Cenzo beat White: wear his a$$ down and take him down in overtime when you get the opening.

Johnson was dinged for stalling in the 3rd—and at that point it was probably earned by the high rate of SVN’s (maybe not fully committed) attacks. Not sure I saw stalling before that, but I could have seen a different ref ding him again before the buzzer, which would have sent it to OT. I hope we get a rematch at nationals. I see them as dead even, and found the bout pretty exciting for the score.

Back on topic: Who can SVN scrap with that mirror’s Gomez? Bo is kinda big. Hope he can solve the puzzle in the dual, but if he can’t, he’ll probably at least learn some good stuff for future matchups. Gonna be a good one too.

Reactions: hlstone
Thanks for that contribution.
Sometimes the obvious has to be stated. But anyhow, you are very welcome. Let me know if I can help with anything else you may need help with. You know, like explaing the difference between a low single and a duck-under, or a standup and a switch.

Johnson was dinged for stalling in the 3rd—and at that point it was probably earned by the high rate of SVN’s (maybe not fully committed) attacks. Not sure I saw stalling before that, but I could have seen a different ref ding him again before the buzzer, which would have sent it to OT. I hope we get a rematch at nationals. I see them as dead even, and found the bout pretty exciting for the score.

Back on topic: Who can SVN scrap with that mirror’s Gomez? Bo is kinda big. Hope he can solve the puzzle in the dual, but if he can’t, he’ll probably at least learn some good stuff for future matchups. Gonna be a good one too.

Nick Lee has never, ever been afraid to go upper body. See: NCAA finals, 2022, 2021. Is he as proficient? Perhaps not, but he also has 2x NCAA titles to his name, and won an NCAA title on an inside trip from a tie up.

I really like what I am seeing from SVN. He really seems to be the next in a long line of elite hammers.

Someone with better archival skills than, I might do a proper history, but it seems PSU freshmen entering Bigs or Nationals undefeated haven't ended their seasons that way. Sure we have a whole string of goats who lost deep into nationals DT, Bo, Jason, Zain (oops didn't Bo have a loss?)... but with the right kid, a freshman loss or two seemed to work out pretty well for Mark, Carter, Aaron and Cenzo. I think Suriano would have been right with them as well.

149 may just be too much this year for Shane but I have no complaints, the kid has what it takes and we might have to wait a year or two,... then again maybe not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT