ADVERTISEMENT

WNO

Should Willie take back WNO & do things the right way?

• Yes

Votes: 31 75.6%
  • No

Votes: 10 24.4%

• Total voters

BrockBronson

May 20, 2021
Thoughts on WNO weigh ins a day and half before the actual match and every match has weight allowance on top of the 36 hour weigh in
@Willie how does this make a lick of sense?

How do you wrestle the top two wrestlers at a weight they might never ever reach again on the scale. I thought back with Willie ran it, it was scratch weight and same day weigh ins.

I think events like this do an injustice to the sport and getting kids ready for the next level. No where for USA wrestling or college wrestling would you weigh in 36 hours before with allowances. They must be using the UFC model. Last year someone said a wrestler missed weight by 5+ pounds and still wrestled.

Willie should take this event back and do things the right way.

Reactions: ChillW
I'm pretty sure if Willie could "take the event back" he would have already done so. I know he's been pretty dismayed at the selections again this year.

Thoughts on WNO weigh ins a day and half before the actual match and every match has weight allowance on top of the 36 hour weigh in

How do you wrestle the top two wrestlers at a weight they might never ever reach again on the scale. I thought back with Willie ran it, it was scratch weight and same day weigh ins.

I think events like this do an injustice to the sport and getting kids ready for the next level. No where for USA wrestling or college wrestling would you weigh in 36 hours before with allowances. They must be using the UFC model. Last year someone said a wrestler missed weight by 5+ pounds and still wrestled.

This should be Willie’s baby. I believe he’s said it was his idea, his intellectual property. It should go back to being his.

I think the weigh in rules you described are absurd. The way it’s set up now it’s an exhibition with a faux sense of gravitas. They should rename the event very good high school wrestlers weighing 10-15 lbs over the weight they are listed.

Flo doesn’t care if its right or done properly as long as they can promote their brand
While this is undeniably true, if you water down a product enough fewer and fewer people will view/purchase it. Doing things well is the only way to keep people in this subscription driven market. People have to many choices.

While it should be willies. It wont be.

He should do it at the end of the year, but that would probably impact the all star matches.

But I think an end of the year WNO is better than the pre season, buts thats just me.

i think it's fine for what it is, and what it is is just an exhibition. the purported goal is to determine who the #1 ranked high school wrestler is going into the season, not to be a stepping stone into college or international wrestling. in the end, no one remembers the #1 ranked high school wrestler at the start of the season either. also these aren't the guys that need to worry about the rankings affecting scholarships like the #15-HM guys do.

it's good to me. get most of the best guys together, show off the new shoes/mats/2-pieces/whatever the sponsors want to hock, and try to put on a show.

WNO has always been day-before weigh-ins. that's never changed. USAW Junior and 16U Nationals (aka Fargo) is day before weigh-ins (although they have to weigh-in again if you make -I think- the final 16, which causes a lot of guys to miss weight). NHSCAs and Super 32 are also day before weigh-ins. Pittsburgh All-Star Classic (formerly Dapper Dan) is day before weigh-ins plus 5 pounds.

WNO is also scratch weight although kids sometimes mutually agree to an allowance (something that has happened since the start of WNO). Sometimes kids still miss weight and the option is no match, or the match is wrestled but the #1 spot is no longer on the line. So far everyone has chosen to wrestle rather than receive a forfeit.

anyway, you can still think day before weigh-ins is a bad idea but its not a new thing.

While it should be willies. It wont be.

He should do it at the end of the year, but that would probably impact the all star matches.

But I think an end of the year WNO is better than the pre season, buts thats just me.
WNO won't ever be Willie's again but I won't count out him putting out his own event eventually. Willie has gained and quite honestly earned pretty much everyone's respect when it comes to the national highschool wrestling scene and his rankings are looked at as the most accurate. I'd personally like to see him go head to head with Flo...if only because Flo trying to do the same shit to Frank Popolizio and one of his events. Yeah...I'm a prick like that. Anyway, I think if athletes had to choose they'd choose Willie because in their eyes it's his rankings that matter. And if Willie needs a suggestion on a name I think Matscouts Top Gun Shootout would work just fine. :)

Who is ready for this WNO action. They weighted in already and don’t wrestle until tomorrow evening.
Lots of uncommitted wrestlers:
MAM- hoping PSU but I bet Penn or Princeton
Davino- Wisconsin or Illinois
Ferrari- not sure if anyone takes a chance
Sealey- would love for PSU, but see Iowa
Ryder- Cornell, NCState or Rutgers
Castillo- Arizona State
Knox- he is very similar to Ferrari with his actions, he is Rutgers ready
Lockett- may as well commit to OSU
Forest- Hoping PSU but heard tOSU or UNC

Who is ready for this WNO action. They weighted in already and don’t wrestle until tomorrow evening.
Castillo- Arizona State
Someone will absolutely take Ferrari. Talent wins out and he isn’t his brother. He shouldn’t be held accountable for his brother’s stupidity. I’m still holding out hope MAM. Think he would fit in great here.

Castillo- Arizona State
We’re doomed!

Too bad Luke Lilledahl declined his spot at WNO otherwise you should say:

Lilledahl - 😃

That's what I'd say at least 🤔

Just started watching. Early start to the work day = early end.

Zaynah McBryde, the sister of Muhamed McBryde's (WVU assistant), is really good. Holds position well and has a wide range of attacks. She was unranked before this match and just took out the #1 138lb HS girl.

Reactions: hlstone
I'm having flo view issues... can't simply click to watch... digging thru 'warm-up' videos... sad..

better now...

Last edited:
so that's cool that flo is bringing back the pre-season matches... carter/lewis and Kerk/cassiopi on the card!

Reactions: Str8DBLz
so that's cool that flo is bringing back the pre-season matches... carter/lewis and Kerk/cassiopi on the card!
Hell yes!! They just interviewed Will Lewan and he said he will be wrestling Jacori Teemer which should be a good match. CStar vs Mekhi and Kerk vs Cass is so f’ing fun especially for a kickoff event! Props to those guys for putting it on the line and seeking out great competition. I think CStar beats Mekhi a bit easier this go showing just how much his broken hand actually did hamper him. Kerk is going to finally solve the Cass puzzle and show that he is the dominant heavy in the country (unless Gable comes back….and possibly even then). They just posted the confirmed matches on flo.

Scheduled matches​

Men’s Matches
125: Pat McKee (Minnesota) vs Brandon Courtney(Arizona State)

133: Lucas Byrd (Illinois) vs Michael McGee(Arizona State)

141: Cole Matthews (Pittsburgh) vs Real Woods(Iowa)

149: Sammy Sasso (Ohio State) vs Austin Gomez(Wisconsin)

157 Jacori Teemer (Arizona State) vs Will Lewan(Michigan)

165: Dean Hamiti Jr. (Wisconsin) vs Keegan O’Toole (Missouri)

165: David Carr (Iowa State) vs Quincy Monday(Princeton)

174: Carter Starocci (Penn State) vs Mekhi Lewis(Virginia Tech)

184: Aaron Brooks (Penn State) vs Parker Keckeisen (Northern Iowa)

197: Jacob Warner (Iowa) vs Stephen Buchanan(Wyoming)

285: Anthony Cassioppi (Iowa) vs Greg Kerkvliet(Penn State)

WNO has been really good so far. Anthony Knox is a problem! I know he was much bigger than Castillo but teching him in the first was super impressive! Kid is good. On the womens side I was really really impressed with Morgan Turner at 94lbs who beat Pastoriza. She is only 14 and this was her first high school event. Pastoriza was cadet gold last year and silver this year and she was losing 10-2 at the break before she injury defaulted. Injury came right before the break and it looked pretty bad. Turner looked incredible. Can’t believe she is 14!

Kasak up now vs Mantanona. Mantanona is headed to Michigan next year.
Mantanona with the fall!! Crazy! Really fun scramble and then Mantanona put on a weird ass half from the opposite side and cranked Kasak over. It was super tight and no fighting out. Mantanona is very long which creates a lot of problems

Hell yes!! They just interviewed Will Lewan and he said he will be wrestling Jacori Teemer which should be a good match. CStar vs Mekhi and Kerk vs Cass is so f’ing fun especially for a kickoff event! Props to those guys for putting it on the line and seeking out great competition. I think CStar beats Mekhi a bit easier this go showing just how much his broken hand actually did hamper him. Kerk is going to finally solve the Cass puzzle and show that he is the dominant heavy in the country (unless Gable comes back….and possibly even then). They just posted the confirmed matches on flo.

Scheduled matches​

Men’s Matches
125: Pat McKee (Minnesota) vs Brandon Courtney(Arizona State)

133: Lucas Byrd (Illinois) vs Michael McGee(Arizona State)

141: Cole Matthews (Pittsburgh) vs Real Woods(Iowa)

149: Sammy Sasso (Ohio State) vs Austin Gomez(Wisconsin)

157 Jacori Teemer (Arizona State) vs Will Lewan(Michigan)

165: Dean Hamiti Jr. (Wisconsin) vs Keegan O’Toole (Missouri)

165: David Carr (Iowa State) vs Quincy Monday(Princeton)

174: Carter Starocci (Penn State) vs Mekhi Lewis(Virginia Tech)

184: Aaron Brooks (Penn State) vs Parker Keckeisen (Northern Iowa)

197: Jacob Warner (Iowa) vs Stephen Buchanan(Wyoming)

285: Anthony Cassioppi (Iowa) vs Greg Kerkvliet(Penn State)

WNO has been really good so far. Anthony Knox is a problem! I know he was much bigger than Castillo but teching him in the first was super impressive! Kid is good. On the womens side I was really really impressed with Morgan Turner at 94lbs who beat Pastoriza. She is only 14 and this was her first high school event. Pastoriza was cadet gold last year and silver this year and she was losing 10-2 at the break before she injury defaulted. Injury came right before the break and it looked pretty bad. Turner looked incredible. Can’t believe she is 14!
Someone with “zzz” in his name and a mention of Will “the Thrill” Lewan.

That all checks out

To Kasak, in the nicest possible way…

Get out of bounds.

If your opponent is starting to lock up a pinning combination and you are intentionally keeping a toe in bounds AND not trying to drag him out as well, and you get decked, that’s on you.

Jax Forrest is so good! That first td after defending a super deep double was just insane. Plus he is a beast on top. Can’t believe this kid is a freshman

Forrest looks unreal. Just dominating Jesuroga here despite Jesuroga being given a takedown that never should’ve been called.

Reactions: hlstone
What a match!! Horrible td call against Jax but he still pulled it out. Really great match

Forrest looks unreal. Just dominating Jesuroga here despite Jesuroga being given a takedown that never should’ve been called.
first one was one of the worst i've seen in a long time. i'd have to see the second one again, but i think he got it. forrest is a hammer who will look quite dapper in black and gold one day.

Ferrari looks pretty damn good. Not at all what I expected against Sealey. He used Sealeys pressure against him a couple times with a smooth pass-by. Absolutely dominating performance

Reactions: danoftw
first one was one of the worst i've seen in a long time. i'd have to see the second one again, but i think he got it. forrest is a hammer who will look quite dapper in black and gold one day.
Unlikely you land him, but I understand that you Hawk fans have to start setting your sights on '27 or '28. Hopefully, Cael will have retired by then. ;)

What a double!! Beautiful! Barr up 2-0. Welsh out after 17 secs. Barr has such a huge frame. Will definitely be a 184 and I could see 197. End of first period. Barr up 2-1. Welsh goes down. Out after a stall call on Barr and then a Welsh td. 4-2 Welsh now. Barr out so it’s 4-3. Welsh with :07 riding time. End of 2nd and it’s 4-3. Barr goes under. Barr out but riding time over a minute. Challenge though because Barr thinks Welsh locked hands. Would be a huge point. No locked hands. Barr needs to get a td here. 45 sec. Barr goes down. Good match

Last edited:
Reactions: fronk71 and danoftw
Well all of that sucked. Feel like PSU commits have a hilariously bad record in this event relatively speaking. Thankfully they don’t hand out NCAA titles at WNO.

ADVERTISEMENT