ADVERTISEMENT

Woods' Augusta practice round report. (link)

There will come a day when Tiger Woods news relative to playing on the PGA Tour won't matter and if he's smart he'll perhaps make that decision soon. The problem is he is only 39, so he can't join the Champions/senior tour for another 10-1/2 years. In my opinion he's done competing for majors for sure and it's highly suspect that he can return to even a top 30 money winner in my opinion. If he bails from the Masters, his already bruised and questionable reputation as an elite PGA player will take another severe hit. However if he plays and embarrasses himself as he has over the past year on the course, then it only reinforces that Tiger is done.

Not sure his ego and competiveness will let him walk away/retire anytime soon, so it will be interesting to see how Tiger adjusts to being a mediocre tour player, or even a decent to good/competitive tour player as he's ready to enter his 40's. Any thoughts of him pulling a Jack Nicklaus and winning the Master at 46 are absurd IMO.......Of course it remains to be seen and I'm sure Tiger will continue to do whatever he has to do to try to recapture his fast fading skills.
This post was edited on 4/3 3:27 PM by GulfCoastLion

Re: He is playing next week.*

Along with everyone who's a golf fan, I surely hope so. That's his plan and as mentioned even in the article, if he chooses otherwise and pulls out for whatever reason, it's a bad decision regardless of what medical reasons, etc.. may be cited.

Would love to see him compete and at least make the cut and enter the weekend somewhere in contention.

This post was edited on 4/3 3:31 PM by GulfCoastLion

I'm not the biggest Tiger fan, but without him,

the Tour is in trouble. Everybody behind his generation of guys are all faceless and anonymous unless you are a golf junkie. The sport is hurting, and it is going to get worse if they can't get a mega-star or two to build on.

Tiger puts bucks in the wallets.**

antidisestablishmentarianism

Re: I'm not the biggest Tiger fan, but without him,

Originally posted by lionlurker:
the Tour is in trouble. Everybody behind his generation of guys are all faceless and anonymous unless you are a golf junkie. The sport is hurting, and it is going to get worse if they can't get a mega-star or two to build on.
The golf establishment needs to get over it's love affair with the idea that everyone has to look the same - bland personality and all the emotional transparency of a member of the British aristocracy. Most sports would love a guy like Bubba Watson. Golf doesn't know what to do with him because he's not like everybody else. I like Patrick Reed not because I care for his personality, but because he's not the Phil Mickelson clone that so many in golf want everyone to be. Golf has an image problem in that the average non-golfer sees it as a sport for rich white boys who look an act like the members of the villian frat in Animal House. It doesn't help that the tour and establishment all but promote that image.

Tiger has clauses in his mega contracts that promise..

a certain amount of appearances... for the big ones, like Nike, if he doesn't play a certain amount (of majors as well), he doesn't get paid as much.. otherwise he wouldn't put himself through the embarrassment of the 2015 Masters - can't wait to watch.

Re: I'm not the biggest Tiger fan, but without him,

that's a good point, to prove all you have to look at is that John Daly (who only plays via sponsor exemptions) is still one of the biggest draws on tour. The Senior Tour is counting the days (a year and a half now) until he reaches 50.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT