ADVERTISEMENT

Words are wind - especially Coach Franklin’s

ShoreLion85

Oct 17, 2016
Public service announcement to Nittany Nation: do yourselves a favor and do not listen to any Coach Franklin press conference, media day, etc. He will blather on about various metrics and such along with how well the team is preparing and how so-and-so is doing great in practice. Then we’ll have to actually play the game against an equally talented, undefeated team in their home stadium with Big Ten refs who have a 29 year history of “assisting“ UM (and O$U) get to The Game undefeated.

if history is the judge, Franklin will decide something egregiously stupidly (like last season’s disaster fake FG, or 2014s equally dumb fake punt vs UM), His fair-haired boy Clifford will make a critical mistake, and we will lose. What’s his record vs top 10 foes? Something awful like 2-13?

Please. Words are wind - especially his. WIN this game. WIN more, lose less. Beat UM, beat O$U. Win this corrupt, biased, old-boys network cesspool of a conference. Otherwise, spare us the blather about chunk plays and whatever other over-intellectualized b.s. you use to try and dazzle the glorified stenographers you bamboozle every week. WIN more, lose less. Those are the only metrics that matter.

PSU Forever

I agree with much of this, he has spoken a lot through the years and wins haven't caught up with his bloviations. That said, I won't hold a loss to Michigan against Franklin assuming we play smart/sound football. Minus Clifford, this is still a fairly young team and I begged for some improvement this year and 8-9 wins to set up a possible playoff run next year. I'd like Franklin to sort of stay out of the way this week(to your point, no absurd risks or fake punts etc) and let his coordinators manage this game, let the chips fall where they may. If we play like we did against AUburn(I know, bad team), I think we win by 11-14.

Public service announcement to Nittany Nation: do yourselves a favor and do not listen to any Coach Franklin press conference, media day, etc. He will blather on about various metrics and such along with how well the team is preparing and how so-and-so is doing great in practice. Then we’ll have to actually play the game against an equally talented, undefeated team in their home stadium with Big Ten refs who have a 29 year history of “assisting“ UM (and O$U) get to The Game undefeated.

if history is the judge, Franklin will decide something egregiously stupidly (like last season’s disaster fake FG, or 2014s equally dumb fake punt vs UM), His fair-haired boy Clifford will make a critical mistake, and we will lose. What’s his record vs top 10 foes? Something awful like 2-13?

Please. Words are wind - especially his. WIN this game. WIN more, lose less. Beat UM, beat O$U. Win this corrupt, biased, old-boys network cesspool of a conference. Otherwise, spare us the blather about chunk plays and whatever other over-intellectualized b.s. you use to try and dazzle the glorified stenographers you bamboozle every week. WIN more, lose less. Those are the only metrics that matter.

PSU Forever
PSU has gone on the road and beat two good teams, Purdue and Auburn. UM hasn't played anyone that good in their house. They beat MD at home by only 7 and i am not sure MD is better than Purdue or Auburn.

We can certainly loss Saturday, but we can also win. I am not sure why there is so much doom and gloom around this team. Last year's collapse came down to SC getting hurt and not having a backup QB, period. Losing PJ was also a blow.

Not doom-and-gloom - just lost patience with all of the pretense and “contextualizing” of PSU football by our Head Coach. WIN. Win vs UM on Saturday. WIN more, lose less. Anything else is bovine scatorum. And I believe Nittany Nation has had more than enough of that. WIN games. Stop losing so many games. Stop trying to make football sound like particle physics. Stop worrying about NFL combine numbers and who is or isn’t a weight room hero and WIN more football games!

Reactions: MacNit07 and psuno1
Yes - less talk, analysis, "metrics" and more winning action. The best Penn State has done away from home under Franklin was the B1G CCG against Wisconsin. Saturday's game is an excellent opportunity to establish this program as one to be feared.

Reactions: The Kid Twist
Not doom-and-gloom - just lost patience with all of the pretense and “contextualizing” of PSU football by our Head Coach. WIN. Win vs UM on Saturday. WIN more, lose less. Anything else is bovine scatorum. And I believe Nittany Nation has had more than enough of that. WIN games. Stop losing so many games. Stop trying to make football sound like particle physics. Stop worrying about NFL combine numbers and who is or isn’t a weight room hero and WIN more football games!
Because YOU deserve better.

I get where you are going with all of this but what do you want the guy to say? Seriously, what do you want him to say? He's the head coach at one of the best programs in college football which comes with a ton of publicity and required media time.
Would you feel better if he treated the media like Paterno who wouldn't give them the time of day and talked to them like idiots, which lead to them not being real enthusiastic about voting him the national champion even when his teams went undefeated? Who won in those battles JoePa, the uncrowned 1994 team or the media?
Seriously, real question.
Would that be a better path? Is that a better idea?

I get where you are going with all of this but what do you want the guy to say? Seriously, what do you want him to say? He's the head coach at one of the best programs in college football which comes with a ton of publicity and required media time.
Would you feel better if he treated the media like Paterno who wouldn't give them the time of day and talked to them like idiots, which lead to them not being real enthusiastic about voting him the national champion even when his teams went undefeated? Who won in those battles JoePa, the uncrowned 1994 team or the media?
Seriously, real question.
Would that be a better path? Is that a better idea?
Precisely. I think Franklin does a good job at press conferences and with the media. He's not the one bloviating here.

I’ll let you know if and when, mostly if, Franklin ever goes undefeated. Don’t bet your retirement savings on it ever occurring (though I certainly hope it does, and this season!).

he can say whatever he wants- but shame on us for listening to it.

PSU Forever
So you'd rather have a press conference where the coach doesn't have an opening statement, gives one word answers, provides no insight into his philosophy or how the team is doing and then ends the PC 10 minutes early?

You could also just, you know, NOT watch the press conferences.

Franklin is one of the most successful coaches in CFB over his time at PSU. Has he maximized the talent he has had? Perhaps not, but very few coaches do. Consider Auburn which has a very similar composite talent rating to PSU. They have only won more than 8 games twice during Franklin's time at PSU. Franklin has won more than 8 four times, including two 11 win seasons.

Reactions: blmr31
Again - he can say whatever he wants to say to the media - but I refuse to listen to it, because to paraphrase Queen, all I hear is Coach-speak ga-ga, Coach-speak blah, blah. He loses too often. He does not win often enough. Anything else is straight off the floor of a stable. Win more, lose less. Beat UM. Beat O$U. Win this pig-sty of favortism of a conference. Metrics, schmetrics. Win more. Lose less. Earn your huge salary, not by being the ringmaster for the program, but by WINNING.

PSU forever!

• Haha
Reactions: PearlandLion

PSU Forever
Oh yes, because James is the only football coach that tries to say nothing of value to the media. All other coaches are open, provide playbooks, call sheets, injury details, take the media to dinner and walk their dogs. 🙄🙄🙄 seems to me you are the bloviator.

Precisely. I think Franklin does a good job at press conferences and with the media. He's not the one bloviating here.
Agreed. CJF is GREAT at PR. Just look at the positive press outside of game day:

• Harry Styles
  • Keegan-Michael Key
  • Eli Manning - Chad Powers
he runs a good program and is great for PSU PR. He's a good recruiter who consistently gets some of the best classes in PSU history.

Game day coaching?

kristen-bell-nah.gif

Reactions: MacNit07 and Gitzit
The OP thinks he invented a super clever catch phrase and copies/pasted it every month.

Every coach holds a press conference 1-2x per week. He answers the questions he’s asked. Thousands like hearing his thoughts based on views, articles, posts, etc. Fine if you don’t but there’s really no attendance sheet that you need to let us know whether you do or not.

Reactions: bytir and blmr31
Franklin is one of the most successful coaches in CFB over his time at PSU.
Would be very interested in your analysis to reach this conclusion. What is his overall w/l record and how does it compare with his peers? How many of these successful coaches own the worst start in program history? How many playoff appearances does he have? Of those appearances, how many wins?

PSU has gone on the road and beat two good teams, Purdue and Auburn. UM hasn't played anyone that good in their house. They beat MD at home by only 7 and i am not sure MD is better than Purdue or Auburn.

We can certainly loss Saturday, but we can also win. I am not sure why there is so much doom and gloom around this team. Last year's collapse came down to SC getting hurt and not having a backup QB, period. Losing PJ was also a blow.
Not going to comment on Purdue, but Auburn is not a good football team.

Not going to comment on Purdue, but Auburn is not a good football team.
maybe...but they are better than any team Michigan has faced so far this year. And AT Auburn.

I'd also point out that Auburn lost to LSU after leading at halftime and losing by only 4. And while LSU isn't great either, they are 4-1, and well-coached.

Reactions: PSU2UNC
Dude, what you complain Franklin doing is exactly what you are doing with these over the top pretentious posts. Go lobby for Matt Rhule if you want.

maybe...but they are better than any team Michigan has faced so far this year. And AT Auburn.

I'd also point out that Auburn lost to LSU after leading at halftime and losing by only 4. And while LSU isn't great either, they are 4-1, and well-coached.
Last I checked LSU was 4-2. Well coached? Most people here say that Kelly is an idiot and ND always sucks, I guess I missed all the comments on here professing that his teams were well-coached.

• Haha
Reactions: Lion8286
Last I checked LSU was 4-2. Well coached? Most people here say that Kelly is an idiot and ND always sucks, I guess I missed all the comments on here professing that his teams were well-coached.
well, Kelly as much as I dislike him, let Cincy out of the dark ages and ran a good program at ND. Not the best but certainly better than Michigan during his tenure.

And, again, both are better than anything Michigan has played this year.

Purdue is a solid team. Auburn is awful but they have lost their top 2 QBs I believe. Nevertheless, if scUM played Auburn at Auburn when we did I am fairly confident scUM would have won by 20+ points. So what does that mean?
We are evenly matched with scUM and Saturday's game will be close. Comes down to who can run it more effectively and which QB has a better game. Both QBs are game managers so which one makes the least mistakes and makes the better decisions.

Purdue is a solid team. Auburn is awful but they have lost their top 2 QBs I believe. Nevertheless, if scUM played Auburn at Auburn when we did I am fairly confident scUM would have won by 20+ points. So what does that mean?
We are evenly matched with scUM and Saturday's game will be close. Comes down to who can run it more effectively and which QB has a better game. Both QBs are game managers so which one makes the least mistakes and makes the better decisions.
Agreed. we beat them by 29!

Would be very interested in your analysis to reach this conclusion. What is his overall w/l record and how does it compare with his peers? How many of these successful coaches own the worst start in program history? How many playoff appearances does he have? Of those appearances, how many wins?
You are using some metrics that I would not use.

"What is his overall w/l record and how does it compare with his peers?"
Shall we remove the sanction years and remove covid when doing this calculation?

"How many of these successful coaches own the worst start in program history?"
During a covid year. Doesn't count (IMHO)

"How many playoff appearances does he have? Of those appearances, how many wins?"
Only 11 P5 coaches have ever made the playoff since Franklin started at PSU. (an aside: he absolutely should have been invited to the playoff in 2016). Fewer than that have won. So if you want me to concede that he is not in the top 11 P5 coaches...sure you could make that argument if on the field results are you only metric. But he also graduates players, avoids off the field issues and interacts well with the university at large/community.

You are using some metrics that I would not use.

"What is his overall w/l record and how does it compare with his peers?"
Shall we remove the sanction years and remove covid when doing this calculation?

"How many of these successful coaches own the worst start in program history?"
During a covid year. Doesn't count (IMHO)

"How many playoff appearances does he have? Of those appearances, how many wins?"
Only 11 P5 coaches have ever made the playoff since Franklin started at PSU. (an aside: he absolutely should have been invited to the playoff in 2016). Fewer than that have won. So if you want me to concede that he is not in the top 11 P5 coaches...sure you could make that argument if on the field results are you only metric. But he also graduates players, avoids off the field issues and interacts well with the university at large/community.
Yeah, I was sure you didn't use any meaningful analysis to say something so obviously incorrect.

I would use real and concrete data to perform an analysis to make a statement like that instead of cherry-picking seasons. Kinda like using real data to plot the curve instead of using a false positive curve then fitting the data. You know, scientific method stuff.

Most coaches graduate players, avoid off the field issues and interact well with the university at large/community.

Franklin has enjoyed some moderate level of success. He has not been one of the most successful coaches in CFB during his tenure at PSU. He was a pretty miserable fail last year and there were no sanctions.

• Haha
Again - he can say whatever he wants to say to the media - but I refuse to listen to it, because to paraphrase Queen, all I hear is Coach-speak ga-ga, Coach-speak blah, blah. He loses too often. He does not win often enough. Anything else is straight off the floor of a stable. Win more, lose less. Beat UM. Beat O$U. Win this pig-sty of favortism of a conference. Metrics, schmetrics. Win more. Lose less. Earn your huge salary, not by being the ringmaster for the program, but by WINNING.

PSU forever!
But you sure as you know what have a lot of comments and strong opinions about something you never listen to. What a truly "amazing" talent!

But you sure as you know what have a lot of comments and strong opinions about something you never listen to. What a truly "amazing" talent!
Yes, what gall he has. A fan of a football program desiring success. He just needs to shut up and take what he gets without comment.

• Haha
Yes, what gall he has. A fan of a football program desiring success. He just needs to shut up and take what he gets without comment.
So we haven't had any success under Franklin? Let's be Washington or ND, they made the playoff. They are far superior to PSU, right. Oh you want to be O$U? Urban ran a clean program, right? Upstanding guy, right? Jimmah Harbaugh your boy? He made the playoff last year, oh but lost to his rival for 15 years straight before that. Saban is the GOAT of college coaches so no one measures up to him.

Dude, get real. We probably will never get to an O$U level unless they come back to the field. No one, no one would get us to that level. Maybe Urbs? Ya want him? Just stop whining. You make it sound like we have been Rutgers for years. Have we had a couple down years, yeah. Does Franklin need to improve with wins and losses, yeah. But stop with the incessant whining. We win 10 games this year and win a NY6 bowl, good season and nothing to complain about. And good enough for the playoff when it goes to 12 teams.

PSU Forever
Werent PSU fans crying about the refs before FRanklin was the coach?

well, Kelly as much as I dislike him, let Cincy out of the dark ages and ran a good program at ND. Not the best but certainly better than Michigan during his tenure.

And, again, both are better than anything Michigan has played this year.
I'm not sure Kelly should be discussed in a thread with "wind" in the title

Last edited:
People keep forgetting this - scUM beat MD in the big outhouse with multiple massive bull$hit Referine calls.... Purdue beat MD @MD with zero Referine assistance.
This is why Penn St gets no respect from other fan bases. The constant whiny about refs is for bottom tier programs.

Yeah, I was sure you didn't use any meaningful analysis to say something so obviously incorrect.

I would use real and concrete data to perform an analysis to make a statement like that instead of cherry-picking seasons. Kinda like using real data to plot the curve instead of using a false positive curve then fitting the data. You know, scientific method stuff.

Most coaches graduate players, avoid off the field issues and interact well with the university at large/community.

Franklin has enjoyed some moderate level of success. He has not been one of the most successful coaches in CFB during his tenure at PSU. He was a pretty miserable fail last year and there were no sanctions.
Pretty hysterical that you are trying to lecture me in the scientific method.

Any analysis has to define it's question and the metrics used to answer that question. You are picking different metrics than I am. It's like saying "measure tree growth". If you do total biomass vs. canopy height vs leaf area index vs DBH you can get very different answers. That doesn't mean any of them are wrong; it just depends on the question.

"Most coaches graduate players, avoid off the field issues and interact well with the university at large/community."
No, they don't.

See also: Art Briles, Bobby Petrino, Hugh Freeze, Mike Leach, Ed Ogeron, Kirby Smart, Urban Meyer....shall I continue.

Pretty hysterical that you are trying to lecture me in the scientific method.
Someone needs to since you don't seem to have a grasp of it.

Lets see what defines metrics for "most successful coaches in CFB...". To most people, the bottom line metric is w/l record. Another would be winning their division (for those with divisions). Winning their conference. Making the playoff. Winning a playoff game. Winning the CFP.

So after 8.5 seasons, James is:

W/L - 72 and 34 (68%)
Division - 1 for 8 (0.125)
Conference - 1 for 8 (0.125)
Make Playoff - 0 for 8
Win Playoff Game - 0 for 8
Win CFP - 0 for 8

That is a far cry from being "one of the most successful coaches in CFB".

Reactions: scrivener

Lets see what defines metrics for "most successful coaches in CFB...". To most people, the bottom line metric is w/l record. Another would be winning their division (for those with divisions). Winning their conference. Making the playoff. Winning a playoff game. Winning the CFP.

W/L - 72 and 34 (68%)
Make Playoff - 0 for 8
Win CFP - 0 for 8

Again, these are your metrics. Not everyone has the same metrics. It depends on the question and what the answer will be used for. See my perfect tree example.

Also, you present these without context.

W/L -- 68% is good enough for about 20th among active coaches (about equal to Harbaugh) and includes a covid year and 2 years impacted by sanctions (note: I compared against active winning percentages not just specifically from the time CJF has been at PSU, but the point is the same)

Division -- only 5 coaches have won the division title (he being one of them) in that time period and two of them (Day/Meyer) were from the same school.

Conference -- See above. Two of the coaches who did win the conference are no longer coaching. So another way to say this is that he is only 1 of 3 of his active colleagues to win the conference championship. But that doesn't fit your narrative, so you ignore that point.

Playoff/Playoff Win/NC -- see argument above as to why this is also a horrible metric to use.

(and regarding my knowledge of the scientific method, please let's not go down the CV rabbit hole again. I assure you I work with the scientific method more (or at the very least as much) than you do. It's literally my job.)

W/L - 72 and 34 (68%)
Make Playoff - 0 for 8
Win CFP - 0 for 8

Can you name the better coaches who want to come to PSU? You all hated Urban until PSU really needed him and then he was your first choice. Urban turned the job down. Dabo and Saban are not coming here.

I think Franklins' record is probably better than Saban's record at MSU. Part of the problem is PSU. Many studs are not interested in PSU. You might want to look in the mirror. PSU is at best the third best program in the B10. When is the last time PSU had more talent than OSU? Even UM outrecruits PSU.

ADVERTISEMENT