ADVERTISEMENT

WrestleStat Rankings | Week 3 2023

andegre

May 18, 2004
Missouri, still the dual leader with one loss already?

Rocky Elam over Max Dean?

I continue to love wrestlestat and what you do for all of us, high five, but I don't think it's there yet.

So we're #3 in duals and wrestlestat has Max losing to Jacob Warner and Rocky Elam. I'd eat my Hawkeye hat (I needed a cheap hat and you can't get Penn State at the local Wal-Mart, plus my wife is a UI grad and my son's a student there) if Max lost to both in a dual. I also think wrestlestat undervalues Shayne, Alex, and Beau. Wrestlers like Shayne and Alex tend to become hammers at PSU. But we'll see. They also have Mizzou at #1 in duals, predicting a 21-12 win over ASU, which beat Mizzou 19-17. I like the site, but I'd like to see some adjustments based on reality once it happens.

So we're #3 in duals and wrestlestat has Max losing to Jacob Warner and Rocky Elam. I'd eat my Hawkeye hat (I needed a cheap hat and you can't get Penn State at the local Wal-Mart, plus my wife is a UI grad and my son's a student there) if Max lost to both in a dual. I also think wrestlestat undervalues Shayne, Alex, and Beau. Wrestlers like Shayne and Alex tend to become hammers at PSU. But we'll see. They also have Mizzou at #1 in duals, predicting a 21-12 win over ASU, which beat Mizzou 19-17. I like the site, but I'd like to see some adjustments based on reality once it happens.
The only problem with eating a hawkeye hat is you just never know if you might have left it laying somewhere unguarded, someone may have pissed in it.

Here's our updated rankings for week 3 of the season. Still a couple outliers that I need to look at regarding the algorithm, but this version is working out fairly well.

Wrestler Rankings | https://www.wrestlestat.com/rankings/starters
Dual Rankings | https://www.wrestlestat.com/rankings/dual
Tournament Rankings | https://www.wrestlestat.com/rankings/tournament
So penn st is almost double Mizzu in tournament points and behind them in duals with 5 # 1 rank wrestlers.

So penn st is almost double Mizzu in tournament points and behind them in duals with 5 # 1 rank wrestlers.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Ski and danoftw
The dual rankings were an issue with Intermat for a time last year. They had PSU with the higher ranked wrestler at 6 weights but behind Iowa in the dual rankings for awhile.

I get it. Total domination by one team is never easy or popular to write about except for the fan base of that team. In their hey day, the Cowboys had their detractors, Tom Brady has his haters. Just look at how some people around the world (hell, even some of the youth in our own country) look at the USA.

The dual rating is the most subjective of all the rankings. Let’s just take satisfaction in knowing what we know (we’re #1) and let the other dogs have a bone.

Reactions: gptakba and IANit
The dual rating is the most subjective of all the rankings. Let’s just take satisfaction in knowing what we know (we’re #1) and let the other dogs have a bone.
The benefit as well as the curse of Wrestlestat is that it is 100% objective. That is, in differense to your statement, it's not subjective in the slightest way. It's all based upon ELO. I think you meant 'inaccurate'.

I argue the unaltered ELO algorithm unfairly considers old matches, while at the same time time treating more recent matches equivalently. Likewise head to head matches don't receive an increased weighting.

Clearly wrestling is a sport where one's growth is not flat. The most recent matches matter the most, and head to head the biggest indicator of all, and I might argue anything older than 18 months should be thrown out.

So there is no 'option' whatsoever in Wrestlestat.

Unfortunately the math says Missou still receives the dual top ranking despite a loss already this season, as well as Dean losing to Warner and other what we might call anomalies.

The results absolutely get stronger as the season progresses, but our frustrations are properly focused on the limitations of ELO, rather than wrestlestat itself which is a superstar of a reference for all of us, and it's free. Kudos to Andrege!!!!!!

Last edited:
The benefit as well as the curse of Wrestlestat is that it is 100% objective. That is, in defense to your statement, it's not subjective in the slightest way. It's all based upon ELO.

I argue the unaltered ELO algorithm unfairly considers old matches, while at the same time time treating more recent matches equivalently. Likewise head to head matches don't receive an increased weighting.

Clearly wrestling is a sport where one's growth is not flat. The most recent matches matter the most, and head to head the biggest indicator of all, and I might argue anything older than 18 months should be thrown out.

So there is no 'option' whatsoever in Wrestlestat.

Unfortunately the math says Missou still receives the dual top ranking despite a loss already this season, as well as Dean losing to Warner and other what we might call anomalies.

The results absolutely get stronger as the season progresses, but our frustrations are properly focused on the limitations of ELO, rather than wrestlestat itself which is a superstar of a reference for all of us, and it's free. Kudos to

Thank you for the time you took to explain all this to me. As a newbie, this is why I came to the Wrestling Room. To read, listen and learn. I’m beginning to understand the differences between the different ratings agencies in the sport. I thank you for your patience.

I do understand the limitations associated with computer algorithms. You get from it what you put into it.

In that respect, nothing can process information like the human brain. Most of the time we don’t even know that we are continuously downloading into our consciousness or subconscious.

My brain tells me our Lions would beat Missouri. My heart tells me that we’d kill them!

Any doctors on this board? Can I get a medical opinion as to the health consequences of eating a hat? Max, Max, Max (shaking my head).

Guess who's coming fast at #5! That's right, a true freshman in Jesse Mendez. Pretty soon, he will pass RBY too. WrestleStat really doesn't like RBY, do they?
Yes, the math is political.

Oh, and Mendez is coming that fast because this board demanded it. (Remember when Zain beat Steiber and didn't move to #1 immediately?)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT