ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Facilities

Kraft seems to think Cael and the team deserve a massive upgrade

Jimmy Two Times Goodfellas GIF

Put a 3,500 seat upper deck on Rec Hall.
Sounds good, but I don't think it would fit without blocking the view of some in the Upper Levels now. Maybe 1,000-2,000 would work. Expensive expansion that would only benefit wrestling. Still I like the idea, just don't think PSU will agree with me.

Sounds good, but I don't think it would fit without blocking the view of some in the Upper Levels now. Maybe 1,000-2,000 would work. Expensive expansion that would only benefit wrestling. Still I like the idea, just don't think PSU will agree with me.
I don't know, the size of campus has double since we were there. They like spending 100s of millions on construction projects.

Reactions: diggerpup
Eh, have you ever seen the Oregon or Stanford home courts? They are around 10,000 and same design but I'm no architect lol

I don't know, the size of campus has double since we were there. They like spending 100s of millions on construction projects.
Other than Pegula, are there any campus buildings (new bldgs or significant modifications) that weren't wholly or substantially funded by Harrisburg?

Other than Pegula, are there any campus buildings (new bldgs or significant modifications) that weren't wholly or substantially funded by Harrisburg?
Not a clue. My guess is probably not. My point was the cost of new construction at PSU has never seemed to be a huge concern, whatever the funding source.

Besides wrestling, do any other sports using Rec Hall sell it out?

Need to get out of Wreck Hall, period. All sports need to be over at the stadium complex. Enormous potential in that footprint for a lot more than they have currently envisioned.

Reactions: District four
irrfan khan tabu GIF

I am thinking upgrades to something like this- without the outdoor water features of course. That would be overkill.

Reactions: danoftw
If I recall correctly, a Penn State Athletics facilities 20-year master plan (from 2017) shows an potential Olympic sports facility to be built connected to the BJC in parking lot space off Dauer Drive near Panzer Stadium.

When the plan was published, I inferred wrestling, volleyball, and gymnastics might move there (offices, training and practice facilities, and competition) and into the BJC, joining men'sand women's basketball. Either that or only wrestling would stay and expand in Rec Hall and its south gym / the Lorenzo Wrestling Complex, with accompanying improvements.

With Kraft's recent statements perhaps Penn State will move forward somehow in the near future.

For a while volleyball did
Yeah, back when we won 4 titles in a row and 6 out of 8, but even then they didn't sell out every match. Mostly just on football weekends and especially Saturday night where you could get in for $1 by showing your football ticket for that day. This year they averaged around 3K or so. That is just my estimate.

Kraft seems to think Cael and the team deserve a massive upgrade

The Branding formula we have right now is close to optimal. Scarcity is an essential pillar for an elite brand. Believe me; if the mass of PSU wrestling fans really wanted season tickets ( and this is what venue expansion is ultimate about), then the market for available seats would be far more robust. TV & streaming is the key. Better to leave our stinky little gym just as it is!

What is inadequate about the training room? Size? Just curious
It's small by Ohio State/Minnesota standards, for sure-3 mats, I believe. It's a nice facility otherwise--though, *gasp*, no windows. Everybody knows you need windows to reach your maximum (recruiting) potential.

Reactions: danoftw
It's small by Ohio State/Minnesota standards, for sure-3 mats, I believe. It's a nice facility otherwise--though, *gasp*, no windows. Everybody knows you need windows to reach your maximum (recruiting) potential.
I would think the wrestling room part is sufficient, except they do need much more wall space for banner pictures of the champs. The little nook behind the office with the stationary cardio equipment could be more expensive, as could the weight room.

I would think the wrestling room part is sufficient, except they do need much more wall space for banner pictures of the champs. The little nook behind the office with the stationary cardio equipment could be more expensive, as could the weight room.
Yeah, 3 mats seems fine--Minnesota's new room has 6 though. I think Columbus's has 4.

I don't think the reference to the "training room" refers to the wrestling practice room, but rather to the facilities for the athletic trainers for all the teams at Rec Hall. If you listen to the interview here: https://gopsusports.com/watch/?Archive=8245&type=Archive (starting about 19 minutes in) it seems that the mention of the wrestling team was an example for all the teams that use Rec Hall, not just wrestling, and the improvements that would benefit all the teams.

I believe when he says training room he means like medical training room, which is not just for wrestling and absolutely needs updated.
Funny, it must be because I’ve been watching some soccer lately that I read training room to mean practice room.

Jason Sudeikis Omg GIF by Apple TV+

The Branding formula we have right now is close to optimal. Scarcity is an essential pillar for an elite brand. Believe me; if the mass of PSU wrestling fans really wanted season tickets ( and this is what venue expansion is ultimate about), then the market for available seats would be far more robust. TV & streaming is the key. Better to leave our stinky little gym just as it is!
A 20 foot expansion on the North side could at least provide adequate bathrooms and concessions.

A 20 foot expansion on the North side could at least provide adequate bathrooms and concessions.
20 ft should be enough room for a row of porta-potties plus some vending machines.

(It's room for better than that, but we're talking about PSU here.)

Reactions: Cowbell Man
ADVERTISEMENT