ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Wrestling Session 4 - 2022 NCAA Championships Results and Discussion thread

CSauertiegPSU

Staff
Oct 9, 2013
Semifinals time!

Penn State continues to hold a narrow lead on Michigan entering what very well could be decisive Friday night session. The Nittany Lions have six in the semis, compared to five for the Wolverines, who also have three in the blood round. Penn State is considered the favorite in 5 of 6 matches tonight, while Michigan is favored in 3 of 8, with toss ups for Ragusin (vs. Byrd), Micic (vs. Composto), Lewan (vs. Monday), Massa (vs. Lewis).

TV: ESPNU
Streaming: ESPN App/ESPN.com
Audio: https://gopsusports.com/watch/?Archive=7675&sport=30&type=Archive
Brackets/Tournament Hub: https://www.trackwrestling.com/pred...ents/TournamentHub.jsp&twSessionId=uokgzcxmod

And, of course, @IndyLion1's wonderful work is linked below.

Team Standings
TeamPointsMaximum
Potential
(Rd of 12)
Penn State731856
Michigan62.521853
Arizona State53176.541
Iowa37.5167.524
North Carolina State3712822

Semi-Finals - winner get 7 team points plus bonus points
125:
UM: #1 Nick Suriano, Michigan vs #4 Brandon Courtney, Arizona State

133:
PSU: #1 RBY, Penn State vs #5 Austin DeSanto, IOWA
ASU: #3 Michael McGee, ASU vs #2 Daton Fix, OSU

141:
PSU: #1 Nick Lee, PSU vs. #4 Real Woods, STAN (SF)

157:
UM: #8 Will Lewan, MICH vs #5 Quincy Monday, PRIN
ASU: #3 Jacori Teemer, ASU vs #2 Ryan Deakin, NW

165:
UM: #6 Cameron Amine, MICH vs #2 Keegan O`Toole, MIZZ

174:
PSU: #1 Carter Starocci, Penn State vs #4 Hayden Hidlay, North Carolina State
UM: #3 Logan Massa, Michigan vs #2 Mekhi Lewis, Virginia Tech

184:
PSU: #2 Aaron Brooks, Penn State vs #3 Trent Hidlay, North Carolina State
UM: #1 Myles Amine, Michigan vs #5 Bernie Truax, Cal Poly

197:
PSU: #1 Max Dean, Penn State vs #21 Gavin Hoffman, Ohio State
Iowa: #6 Jacob Warner vs #2 Stephen Buchanan, WYO

285:
PSU: #4 Greg Kerkvliet, Penn State vs #1 Gable Steveson, Minnesota

PSU by seeding is favored in 5 of 6 matches
UM by seeding is favored in 2 of 5 matches
ASU by seeding is favored in 1 of 4 matches
Iowa be seeding is favored in 0 of 2 matches

PSU currently up by 10.5 points, if we wrestle to seed, PSU will gain +21 points next round in championship bracket.

Michigan has 3 wrestles left in consolations, PSU has 0. It would nice to see 1 or 2 of Micic, Ragusin and Parris lose next round.

Lets Go! Alot of Penn State wrestlers to root for! Alot of guys from other teams that I can't stand!! And some guys from other teams that I really like ( Vito, Keegan, and Deakin). Think I will have a rooting interest in every match tonight! Now I just have to sober up a little from the quarterfinals so I can resume drinking for the semi's

I feel like a zombie in between rounds. Never really in a conversation unless it's about the tournament. I'm going to apologize to my wife.

But not till Sunday
I’m normally attached to my phone so my girlfriend was very confused as to why I’ve texted back maybe 5-10 times the last two days haha

Reactions: diggerpup and 1AA
I feel like a zombie in between rounds. Never really in a conversation unless it's about the tournament. I'm going to apologize to my wife.

But not till Sunday
Yes, the NCAA Friday pause between rounds is always challenging, unless you are at the event, and settle into a good, lively bar ; in that instance it seems to fly by....

Last edited:
Yes, the NCAA Friday pause between rounds is always challenging, unless you are at the event, and settle into a good, lively bar ; in that instance it seems to fly by....
Next year I'll be there but all the boys didn't think Detroit was for them.

Anyone else find it fascinating that Psu is vs Gavin Hoffman (whom we kinda ran off) in the semis here tonight and it’s not even vs Michael Beard, I remember the Hoffmans dropping the season tix. Hope Gavin doesn’t find some crazy motivational level

Anyone else find it fascinating that Psu is vs Gavin Hoffman (whom we kinda ran off) in the semis here tonight and it’s not even vs Michael Beard, I remember the Hoffmans dropping the season tix
I think Beard wouldn't mind a little tag team action tonight, especially given the way he handled Hoffman last time.

Penn State wrestling handles No. 11 Ohio State on the road

Reactions: jschrantz
Yea, to draw Gavin “f-in” Hoffman in a semi after escaping two matches Max could have easily lost seems like another blessing for lil Deaner, right? Someone looking out for Dean. It pays to stay tight with the Lord

If the semis go chalk, at 7 points per win, I got 35-14. Kicking much of Mich into consis.

How many team points for winning finals? Big assumption, but I got confidence they can go 5 for 5 in the finals.

Reactions: diggerpup
If the semis go chalk, at 7 points per win, I got 35-14. Kicking much of Mich into consis.

How many team points for winning finals? Big assumption, but I got confidence they can go 5 for 5 in the finals.
I also think Arujau will give Suri a heckuva battle tomm night, sorry I don’t answer to ur ?

Anyone else find it fascinating that Psu is vs Gavin Hoffman (whom we kinda ran off) in the semis here tonight and it’s not even vs Michael Beard, I remember the Hoffmans dropping the season tix. Hope Gavin doesn’t find some crazy motivational level
Wasn’t lost on me. Didn’t know what to say about it. Good for him, I guess, is the right thing to say. Wish him great luck for the rest of this tournament except in his first match tonight.

I think Dean is having a lucky tournament and I think Hoffman will be a really tough semi.

You have to consider placement points already awarded vs earned. Right now a semifinalist that loses the rest of his matches places 6th. So the team score reflects a 6th place finish for each semifinalist (which is 6 points) plus the three advancement points earned getting there plus any bonus.

A semifinalist that wins gets an advancement point and is guaranteed 2nd place. 2nd place is 12 team points, or 6 more than 6th place. That’s why it’s 7 team points to win in the semifinals.

A finalist can’t gain any advancement points, but first place is 16 team points vs 12 team points for second. So winning in the finals is 4 more team points Saturday night. Plus any bonus.

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
Hearing that Anthony Cassar will be guest corner coach tonight for Kerkvliet-Gable. Not to worry, he will have a very reflective gold chain around his neck.

Reactions: PSU Yinzer
NOT to be Mr. Negative. RBY DeSanto concerns me. This is DeSanto's last go around at RBY and I just hope that DeSanto doesn't go wacky.
Also if we get the wrong Ref will he ding RBY for stalling after DeSanto shoots??? Man am I negative :(

Sorry for this post. I didn't see a separate post discussing this topic.

Last edited:
Reactions: PAgeologist
NOT to be Mr. Negative. RBY DeSanto concerns me. This is DeSanto's last go around at RBY and I just hope that DeSanto doesn't go wacky.
Also if we get the wrong Ref will he ding RBY for stalling after DeSanto shoots??? Man am I negative :(
Like my hs football coach used to say “To quote the great philosopher, Richard Flair, ‘to be the man, you gotta beat the man”

I know Gable is a huge favorite but did his quarterfinal match give you any hope for Kerk? It definitely gave me some. No major and he got taken down and Kerk should be the most athletic heavy Gable will face. Not a big chance but more than I thought at the start of the day

Reactions: hlstone and Ski
At the risk of being made a fool in about 90 minutes, I’ve been impressed with ADS keeping himself in check…
It would not surprise me to see a different strategy from RBY this match. He was able to score a takedown with a double at the dual when the match was in doubt if I remember correctly- could he use a different offense if needed? DeSanto has been preparing for the same RBY he saw the last few matches- this last time would be the perfect situation to bring a different angle, if one exists.

I think Dean is having a lucky tournament and I think Hoffman will be a really tough semi.
Dean only beat Hoffman in SV in the dual. Both of these guys wrestle close matches, with Hoffman already winning 2 bouts in Detroit by SV. I expect a close, tough match.

Reactions: nitlion6
Yea, to draw Gavin “f-in” Hoffman in a semi after escaping two matches Max could have easily lost seems like another blessing for lil Deaner, right? Someone looking out for Dean. It pays to stay tight with the Lord
Hoffman gave Max a helluva tough match in the dual this year, 5-3 SV.

Gavin took Max to the brink in the dual. Max has to wrestle his best.

Reactions: diggerpup and mcpat
ADVERTISEMENT