ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Wrestling Session 4 - 2022 NCAA Championships Results and Discussion thread

I love Kerk like you all but I think Gable took it easy. When he wanted something he took it.

Kerks time is next season
Not sure it was so much taking easy as respecting Kerkvliet’s speed. He took it because he’s the best guy on the planet and he’s that good, but Kerk is one of the few guys with the athleticism at that size to make him think twice every now and then.

Just came to say that Nick Lee is so damn good. I'm not gonna lie, I didn't think Woods would win, but nobody is unbeatable--and I was hoping Cenzo had the secret for Woods. Lee just doesn't break position, and Woods wasn't able to get any offense going at all.

Also seems like some of that Cenzo magic came through for Griffith against Wick. 0-3 against Wick throughout the season, but got the win in March at the damn buzzer when it counted the most!

Looking forward to watching all of the PSU guys tomorrow night.

Not sure it was so much taking easy as respecting Kerkvliet’s speed. He took it because he’s the best guy on the planet and he’s that good, but Kerk is one of the few guys with the athleticism at that size to make him think twice every now and then.
Gable is The Olympic champ, as a family we love him. Our kids have competed for years against each other as training partners. His brother Bobby is an amazing young man along with Gable. At the end of the day it was two Minnesota kids leaving it all out there. The Kerkvliet’s want Gable and Greg Jr to Win!

Greg jr dad.

You realize that in 2021 Kerk wasn't cleared to wrestle until like a week or two before the B1G tourney, right? But whatever makes you feel better.
This all started based on a post about Kerk being the 2nd best HWY this year. I just pointed out he’s 0-3 against Cass, imcluding 0-2 this year when Kerk has been healthy. If you still think he’s better that’s your prerogative.

This all started based on a post about Kerk being the 2nd best HWY this year. I just pointed out he’s 0-3 against Cass, imcluding 0-2 this year when Kerk has been healthy. If you still think he’s better that’s your prerogative.

Iowa's looking good, jmadden. I see big things!

• Haha
Reactions: Creek Side
The title is all but wrapped up now. PSU has too many horses in the barn again this year. Congrats on the great year!
I know we rib you a lot but the genuine message: You're a good guy Turk! Not as good as @jrod65 since he is here to suck up to us but a good guy nonetheless. Should be proud of your Hawks as they are all tough warriors and no wrestling results change that.

I think Schultz has earned the right to be called the 2nd best heavy this year. He's undefeated and beat Parris (so there's his quality win) I think the Top 4 are going to be close next year though.

Reactions: Brian LB-U
Lewan gets Carr in the consolation semis. Carr hasn't looked great, but has managed to win four straight in the backside bracket. Teemer and Robb are on the other side.

Amine gets Hamiti. Wick and Marinelli are on the other side.

Massa gets Kemerer, who despite the injured wing has won two straight in the consolations. Hidlay and Plott are on the other side.

Parris gets Kerk. The winner of that match may be the favorite for 3rd place. Wood and Davison are on the other side.

That's a tough road for Lewan and Amine, though these two usually wrestle close matches. Massa may have a slightly easier path, given Kemerer's injury. The toughest match for Parris is probably Kerk.
Here's the math for Session 5:

PSU’s Magic Number = 23.0 to win outright.

Michigan has 4 wrestlers in consi semis (Lewan, Amine, Massa, Parris).
For each of them, the Magic Number could be reduced by as much as 8.0 pts, as follows:
- Finish 3rd: Magic Number reduced by bonus points lost (0.5 to 4.0 pts)
- Finish 4th: Magic Number reduced by 1.0 + bonus points lost
- Finish 5th: Magic Number reduced by 3.0 + bonus points lost
- Finish 6th: Magic Number reduced by 4.0 + bonus points lost

Additionally, PSU has 1 wrestler in consi semis (Kerk). He could cut the Magic Number by as much as 8.0 pts:
- Finish 3rd: Magic Number reduced by 4.0 + bonus points gained (0.5 to 4.0)
- Finish 4th: Magic Number reduced by 3.0 + bonus points gained
- Finish 5th: Magic Number reduced by 1.0 + bonus points gained
- Finish 6th: No change to Magic Number

If Lewan and Parris finish 5th, Amine 4th, Massa 3rd, Kerk 3rd, all with no bonus -- then the Magic Number drops by 27.0 out of a needed 23.0 pts --> PSU clinches tomorrow morning.

IMO that's a little generous toward Michigan. I would pick Hamiti (though he's never faced Lewan). And Kemerer beat Massa this year -- this obviously depends on his shoulder, but it is the first match of the day.

Just came to say that Nick Lee is so damn good. I'm not gonna lie, I didn't think Woods would win, but nobody is unbeatable--and I was hoping Cenzo had the secret for Woods. Lee just doesn't break position, and Woods wasn't able to get any offense going at all.

Also seems like some of that Cenzo magic came through for Griffith against Wick. 0-3 against Wick throughout the season, but got the win in March at the damn buzzer when it counted the most!

Good to see you back! I must admit, I was rooting for Wick (my oldest goes to Cal Poly) but wow, Griffith was clutch.

Hey PAgeologist give it up for McCoy, sophomore D5 kid ACC runnerup and making it to the blood round
Absolutely. For a district that hasn't produced many D1 athletes in any sport he certainly stands out. And probably the best ever from Ridge. I was really hoping for an AA finish for Justin, but 165 was a real meat grinder.

Hope Justin eventually finds his way home and helps with the Ridge program.

My favorite part of shooting the NCAAs is the semis. The mats open up and photographers have the best seats in the house, unlike the earlier rounds when you're often shooting across mats.

Haven't processed everything just yet but matside tonight was a pretty special place to be.

0zpDNni.jpg

Gable is The Olympic champ, as a family we love him. Our kids have competed for years against each other as training partners. His brother Bobby is an amazing young man along with Gable. At the end of the day it was two Minnesota kids leaving it all out there. The Kerkvliet’s want Gable and Greg Jr to Win!

Greg jr dad.

Indiana is still staking partial claim to Gable. 😉

I thought it was great Nick came over and hugged Cenzo after the match. I do believe that match close because of Cenzo.

For each of them, the Magic Number could be reduced by as much as 8.0 pts, as follows:

Additionally, PSU has 1 wrestler in consi semis (Kerk). He could cut the Magic Number by as much as 8.0 pts:

If Lewan and Parris finish 5th, Amine 4th, Massa 3rd, Kerk 3rd, all with no bonus -- then the Magic Number drops by 27.0 out of a needed 23.0 pts --> PSU clinches tomorrow morning.

IMO that's a little generous toward Michigan. I would pick Hamiti (though he's never faced Lewan). And Kemerer beat Massa this year -- this obviously depends on his shoulder, but it is the first match of the day.
In the first round of conscis this morning the winner get the 3 additional place pts plus 0.5 point for advancement and the placement match winner gets 1 additional placement point. 3rd placer picks up 4.5 points plus any bonus. So the point swing would be 28.5. Same point though.

By the way, Happy Anniversary.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
sometimes your fire fighting isnt needed. So what if a guy says kerk is the 2nd best.

everyone on here knows he is 0-3 against cass.

let @lonewolfe do the fire fighting.

#knowyourlaneandstayinit

God’s work, sir.

ADVERTISEMENT