ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Wrestling Session 5 - 2022 NCAA Championships Results and Discussion thread

There's never a good time to get injured but after your last match of the season is probably the best time if you HAD to pick. Kerk has all offseason to rest and get anything repaired that he needs to. My speculation (and my speculation only), next year is his last year anyways (probably wants a full free focus for 2024 then MMA)

Reactions: Grass
Trent Hidlay has purchased real estate on the perimeter of every mat in the nation and lives there alone like a hermit. He's an edgy sort of guy, I guess.
Question for the board RE T. Hidlay: When Hidlay rides the perimeter, why doesn't AB just trot to the center of the mat and wait for Hidlay to engage? Seems like after that happens a few times it would make it difficult for the ref to ignore Hidlay's continuous stalling.

Question for the board RE T. Hidlay: When Hidlay rides the perimeter, why doesn't AB just trot to the center of the mat and wait for Hidlay to engage? Seems like after that happens a few times it would make it difficult for the ref to ignore Hidlay's continuous stalling.

If they hit Hidlay with a stall in the first it would cure all of this.

I like it, but literally want to see the “trot” part when he does it.

Just rewatched it. He hugs Parris, gets his hand raised, and shakes Cody’s hand as he heads off the mat. (I think it was Cody.)
Don't think it was Cody. Probably a MI assistant. There is definitely some drama going on.

Not an appealing style to attract fans to the sport of wrestling. Not even sure it's the most effective he could use to get results. It's weird to see a guy who looks like mini-Hercules just hanging on the edge.
And it's blatant when opponet has the led he literally jumps out of bounds.

Reactions: mn78psu83
The toughness Kerk exhibits is amazing ... you would NEVER have guessed he was hurt the way he went after Gable last night and then handled Parris this morning. He got his knee torqued in the final reversal against Cass also and wrapped it the next day and battled back for 3rd. Wouldn't be shocked if some of what's ailing him is season ending stuff normally but he's still out there, battling for us. He's due for some well deserved rest.

The toughness Kerk exhibits is amazing ... you would NEVER have guessed he was hurt the way he went after Gable last night and then handled Parris this morning. He got his knee torqued in the final reversal against Cass also and wrapped it the next day and battled back for 3rd. Wouldn't be shocked if some of what's ailing him is season ending stuff normally but he's still out there, battling for us. He's due for some well deserved rest.
Agreed. There were a couple moments last night vs GS when I thought it looked like Kerk was looking a little hobbled, but he just seemed to shake it off and forge ahead.
#ThatsWhatWarriorsDo
#TeamBeforeSelf

Reactions: dsites52
Agreed. There were a couple moments last night vs GS when I thought it looked like Kerk was looking a little hobbled, but he just seemed to shake it off and forge ahead. #ThatsWhatWarriorsDo #TeamBeforeSelf
Candidly, there was no need for Kerk to wrestle this morning either. Michigan finished 1-2 in their matches leading up to Kerk so we could have afforded to just give Parris the MFF but he wanted to toe the line.

Technical question. Just prior to finishing his pin of Hoffman, Bastida pulled on Hoffman's headgear.

If called, what would be the ruling?
I saw that too. I don't know for sure, but I think that the action would be stopped when noted and Hoffman awarded a penalty point (Bastida would get the back points earned up to that point). Obviously Ryan didn't see it or he would have challenged it.

I saw that too. I don't know for sure, but I think that the action would be stopped when noted and Hoffman awarded a penalty point (Bastida would get the back points earned up to that point). Obviously Ryan didn't see it or he would have challenged it.
TaTo typically uses up all his challenges by the first round, so he may not have had one to use had he noticed it.

OTOH, he may have been able to shame the refs into doing an independent review, as he has been known to do.

Reactions: danoftw
I believe if the ref determines he headgear grab helped turn Hoffman the back points go off the board also.

Reactions: GogglesPaizano
It isn't over yet, but this has been a quite enjoyable tournament and not just because the good guys took home the hardware. It had a little bit of everything wrapped up into it. They will never see this post, but a huge, "Well done and thank you!" to 330 tough men.

What is Dr. Kerkvliet? Are you referring to a specific post # in this thread?
His dad pops on this board to give us status updates when there are worries about Greg's health. Usually it's just to shut down fake "season ending" rumors. His dad has a Doctorate in Education so his official title is Dr. Kerkvliet.

His dad pops on this board to give us status updates when there are worries about Greg's health. Usually it's just to shut down fake "season ending" rumors. His dad has a Doctorate in Education so his official title is Dr. Kerkvliet.
Well, technically, we all know this was in fact a seaon-ending injury. Still a season worth feeling very proud about!

He just walked to the locker room. Jesus H Christ this board is ridiculous sometimes. We don’t have any more teams to worry about, so some drama has to be generated.
Now that you bring it up, I got a genuine sense from some or the less troll-ish members of our board that they felt bad the title was never in question so they wanted to make mountains out of molehills. Like, "missed bonus" in the early rounds....

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
Now that you bring it up, I got a genuine sense from some or the less troll-ish members of our board that they felt bad the title was never in question so they wanted to make mountains out of molehills. Like, "missed bonus" in the early rounds....
One thing about the missed bonus hate. I know I mentioned it early on and kicked a couple likes out for folks that mentioned it. Its just an observation and not drama driven. We're all here to chat about the sport we love. Every year I'm paranoid as a fan that a half point could cost the team a championship. Its awesome that it didn't come to that but I don't know why its bad to say that points were left on the mat. And yes I know those young men are doing everything in their power to get everything they can. I appreciate the entertainment being provided.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT