ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Wrestling Session 6 - 2022 NCAA Championships Results and Discussion thread

Yeah first sign I saw of it was he was in tears after he lost in Round 2 to Thomas Lane of Cal Poly his freshman year. He still came back and AA'ed but you could tell he thought he felt he just failed completely because he was upset.

Based on what we've seen from his dad now, you can tell the pressure is just something Jacob puts on himself and it makes sense. He was hyped to do pretty big things coming in (as if 4x AA and now a finalist isn't that big lol) His dad's demeanor is definitely one of a "Just put your heart into it and the results don't matter to me, I love you unconditionally" kind of dad.
the toughest one to watch was when he blew a lead against Aeillo at midlands and the camera picked up him screaming "why am i like this?" as he ran off. he wants to be great. and he is. i got some flack for saying he was underrated on here a while back, but he really is elite. not flashy, but on pace to be a 5x AA with potentially 3 top 4 finishes with his 3 losses in the last two tournaments to 2 ncaa champs and an olympic bronze.

the toughest one to watch was when he blew a lead against Aeillo at midlands and the camera picked up him screaming "why am i like this?" as he ran off. he wants to be great. and he is. i got some flack for saying he was underrated on here a while back, but he really is elite. not flashy, but on pace to be a 5x AA with potentially 3 top 4 finishes with his 3 losses in the last two tournaments to 2 ncaa champs and an olympic bronze.
Do you think he comes back? Or has he said for sure? Wonder if he looks at the struggle of others who put in the extra year and decides he's had enough.

We've seen so many different guys have reactions like this.

Jimmy Gulibon hiding in a dumpster after losing in a youth tourney, because he thought he was trash, comes to mind.

Elite competition can be so brutal.

You want to root for those who overcome this and come out of it normal.

That's tough ... he seems to have gotten better recently at not being so tough on himself after some hard losses. No doubt it's something Brands has worked on with him throughout the years. People underrate him because stylistically he wants to wrestle to his strengths. Contrary to popular belief (both him and RBY btw), just because when they DO get the takedown, they make it look pretty, doesn't mean stylistically they should transform into Jason Nolf and just shoot 10 times a period.

i think he'll be back, but you never know.
The only guys who would normally be done this year but can decide to return for you guys are Murin and Warner right? I can't see either leaving if they can return. ESPECIALLY Murin, to have made the quarters THREE times and not AA ... I can't see him not returning to try to get on the podium at least once.

The only guys who would normally be done this year but can decide to return for you guys are Murin and Warner right? I can't see either leaving if they can return. ESPECIALLY Murin, to have made the quarters THREE times and not AA ... I can't see him not returning to try to get on the podium at least once.
Based on Warner's post-semifinal interview, he said he's coming back and that it works out well with him having one more year to complete his Master's degree.

i think he'll be back, but you never know.
I do believe in his interview Brands said he was looking forward to seeing the kids that have been on redshirt and having Lee back. He then said Ayala, Murin, Warner, Cass and then added Brands and Assad. Besides....if you are called "Ladies Man" on campus and you have another year of eligibility....would you even think of leaving? :)

I'd put RBY 1st. Fix is more accomplished at the world level than Amine at every age group including senior, has beaten Spencer Lee, and has never scored an offensive point on RBY.

DeSanto would be a 2x champ if not for RBY and Fx -- they're the only ones to beat him in the past 2 years. The only other guy to beat him in 2020 was Gross. And he's beaten a number of champs + finalists: RBY 2x, Suriano Gross, Lizak 2x, Micic, Mueller.

Well... Lee did beat Zain (3x champ) and Yianni (3x champ, although he wasn't trying). That's some world level stuff.

I do believe in his interview Brands said he was looking forward to seeing the kids that have been on redshirt and having Lee back. He then said Ayala, Murin, Warner, Cass and then added Brands and Assad. Besides....if you are called "Ladies Man" on campus and you have another year of eligibility....would you even think of leaving? :)
He wasn't allowed to use "Fat Bottomed Girls" as his walk out song apparently. My guess is the committee said it's "too suggestive" of a song. Poor guy, might have thrown him off his game a little bit.

Reactions: nitlion6
Just wondering, how do y'all rank RBY, Lee, Starocci, and Brooks--P4P (in order)?

After this weekend, I can honestly see the case for pretty much any order.
I still haven’t seen the match, and I really need to, but when Starocci beat Nolf at the trials, how I view him in terms of ability jumped levels. I guess it should be even higher then for RBY and Brooks given the freestyle medals their opponents won. But Nolf has a mystique, in my mind, at PSU and it’s hard for me to fathom that Starocci beat him after his freshman year.

But then Nick beat Yianni and Zain. So this is an impossible exercise.

All answers are good ones and this is subject to change on where my mind is on any given day, but;

1. Starocci
2. RBY
3. Brooks
4. Nick Lee
5. Dean

With very little separation in 1-4.

I still haven’t seen the match, and I really need to, but when Starocci beat Nolf at the trials, how I view him in terms of ability jumped levels. I guess it should be even higher then for RBY and Brooks given the freestyle medals their opponents won. But Nolf has a mystique, in my mind, at PSU and it’s hard for me to fathom that Starocci beat him after his freshman year.

But then Nick beat Yianni and Zain. So this is an impossible exercise.

All answers are good ones and this is subject to change on where my mind is on any given day, but;

1. Starocci
2. RBY
3. Brooks
4. Nick Lee
5. Dean

With very little separation in 1-4.
If you think Cstar was impressive beating Nolf, what did you think when Nolf wrestled Dake? I would have lost alot of money if someone told me Dake would beat Nolf in 45-50 seconds of their OTT's match. There was never a glimmer of hope that Jason had a chance to win.

If you think Cstar was impressive beating Nolf, what did you think when Nolf wrestled Dake? I would have lost alot of money if someone told me Dake would beat Nolf in 45-50 seconds of their OTT's match. There was never a glimmer of hope that Jason had a chance to win.
Agreed; Nolf wasn’t ready for where Dake was/is at, much like Dake wasn’t ready for Burroughs at the same age that Nolf is.

But Nolf has wrestled some good matches since.

Agreed; Nolf wasn’t ready for where Dake was/is at, much like Dake wasn’t ready for Burroughs at the same age that Nolf is.

Yes, yes, I agree 100% he has made much progress since then. He will not be denied!!!

The takeaway (without giving away any spoilers) wasn't that Carter beat Jason, rather that Carter was in a tight, low-scoring match with Jason that could've gone either way.

Carter has more freestyle experience than Jason, and it was an experience win. The winning score doesn't carry over to folk. But very few people on Earth are capable of wrestling that competitively with Jason, and Carter is one of them.

Reactions: mcpat

Dake picked up more from the exhibition match they had

Dake picked up more from the exhibition match they had
I was literally just typing the same thing. Dake did to Nolf (on the NLWC card) what RBY did to ADS in the dual meet. You wrestle at me so I know what you are… but I’m not showing you anything.

NCAA FINALISTS;

Since 1970, there were five years where a team had five champs;
1986: Iowa
1997: Iowa
2005: Oklahoma State
2017: Penn State
2022: Penn State

-- In 1986 and 1997, Iowa had six finalists, going 5-1 in the finals both years.
-- In 1987, Iowa State had five finalists, and they went 4-1 in the finals.
-- In 2021, PSU went 4-0 in the finals, the only team with 4 or more champs to NOT win a team championship.
-- One team in the past 50 years had 3 champs and came in second, Iowa State in 2002.

I want to see Carter wrestle Dake. A first match might be a learning experience, but from then on my oh my.

I walked into a girl's house for the first time it was our first date. I saw Ben wa beads hanging from the ceiling fan. I turned around and walked right out. Never said a thing just walked out lmfao

Reactions: Split shot
I walked into a girl's house for the first time it was our first date. I saw Ben wa beads hanging from the ceiling fan. I turned around and walked right out. Never said a thing just walked out lmfao
giphy.gif

Just a quick note to those of you like me that tend to forget about the pinned threads--but it might be fun for some of you to check out one of ItalionLion's posts up there and discover some fresh content.

Reactions: Psalm 1 guy
Especially the folks who merge videos with Byers calls ... trying to remember exactly who that was -- @Annieat285 maybe?
And you know what I got for it? A banned youtube account after nationals in 2017 when just a few weeks earlier the NCAA used a video of mine (Meredith vs Heil) to promote the 141 bracket

Got to give them props, though. That is the most NCAA thing I've ever seen. :D

Last edited:
Especially the folks who merge videos with Byers calls ... trying to remember exactly who that was -- @Annieat285 maybe?
In recent years, keeping the videos unlisted and not monetized seems to have worked for the volume of watchers. That could definitely change though. The NCAAs matches I upload are always identified as “copyright claimed,” but they don’t do anything to remove.l, several years running.

Last edited:
It was probably a 3rd party takedown from Flo.
I think it was the NCAA/ESPN/Disney because I didn't get any strikes, they just instantly banned my account overnight when I posted the finals from the 2017 NCAA's right after the broadcast finished. And to be fair to a certain Flo employee, they actually gave me permission to use content that was behind their paywall in my Bo Nickal montage, while the worst I got from Flo was a comment from CP saying "nice stolen content" or whatever when I used clips from videos of theirs that were placed on youtube and did not require a paid account at Flo.

I think it was the NCAA/ESPN/Disney because I didn't get any strikes, they just instantly banned my account overnight when I posted the finals from the 2017 NCAA's right after the broadcast finished. And to be fair to a certain Flo employee, they actually gave me permission to use content that was behind their paywall in my Bo Nickal montage, while the worst I got from Flo was a comment from CP saying "nice stolen content" or whatever when I used clips from videos of theirs that were placed on youtube and did not require a paid account at Flo.
Another example of CP making noises through his anal sphincter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT