ADVERTISEMENT

Yianni vs Gomez

IndyLion1

May 29, 2001
End of 1st: 0-0 Both almost scored but great defense. Gomez almost scored at buzzer.

2nd: Gomez out. Yanni with 29 seconds RT. TD Gomez with 2 NF. 5-0. Throw Yanni to his back. Official review now. 5-0 Gomez at end of 2nd.

3rd: Yanni escape 5-1. Gomez TD 7-1 Yanni escape 7-2. No RT. Gomez TD 9-2 Yanni escape 9-3. Gomez :39 RT. Final 9-3

Last edited:
End of 1st: 0-0 Both almost scored but great defense. Gomez almost scored at buzzer.

2nd: Gomez out. Yanni with 29 seconds RT. TD Gomez with 2 NF. 5-0. Throw Yanni to his back. Official review now. 5-0 Gomez at end of 2nd.

3rd: Yanni escape 5-1. Gomez TD 7-1 Yanni escape 7-2. No RT. Gomez TD 9-2 Yanni escape 9-3. Gomez :39 RT. Final 9-3
Cornell winning 7-6 after 149

Where can I see this match? was it on BTN+?
ESPN+
Gomez had him scouted really well. Yianni takes big jab step feints and whenever he would take that big step Gomez would just drop straight down and grab an ankle. He got 2 tds directly off of this. The other big mistake Yianni made was getting into an upper body exchange with Gomez. Gomez went seatbelt into a bodylock and took Yianni straight to his back for 2 and 2. At that point is was 5-0 and Yianni seemed deflated. I think Yianni still wins his 4th this year but it really puts what Cael did into perspective. Never an off night or if he had one he was still just so much better than everyone else. As good as Yianni is he’s had quite a few close matches.

Did 149 just go up for grabs or what?!?
John C Reilly Yes GIF

You just can't count Gomez out of a match against anyone. His let it fly style might cost him at times, but he certainly can beat anyone and just proved it by taking out one of the best.
I had first row seats right behind our corner at the Southern Scuffle (2019) when Gomez stuck RBY in the 133 semifinal. He owned RBY in that match. When Gomez on “on” he is close to unbeatable. Note: after getting pinned, a very wide eyed RBY came over right below the railing where my wife and I were sitting. Cael put his arm over RBY and offered timeless wisdom. I’ve never seen a student stare at a teacher as intently as RBY. No emotion at all. As they say: if you ain’t in pain …… you ain’t in receiving mode.

I had first row seats right behind our corner at the Southern Scuffle (2019) when Gomez stuck RBY in the 133 semifinal. He owned RBY in that match. When Gomez on “on” he is close to unbeatable. Note: after getting pinned, a very wide eyed RBY came over right below the railing where my wife and I were sitting. Cael put his arm over RBY and offered timeless wisdom. I’ve never seen a student stare at a teacher as intently as RBY. No emotion at all. As they say: if you ain’t in pain …… you ain’t in receiving mode.
RBY was winning 8-3 when Gomez hit the headlock.

Yianni can still win a national title, but stick a fork in his Hodge candidacy. There are always a bunch of unbeaten champs -- last year 8 of them.
If Yianni ran the table n won hodge this year there probably woulda been a case for him being 2nd goat behind Cael as 4xer w/ 1 loss.. rip that now too..

Yianni can still win a national title, but stick a fork in his Hodge candidacy. There are always a bunch of unbeaten champs -- last year 8 of them.
Metcalf did win the hodge one year wit a 1 loss record.. I believe, there mighta been some undefeated champs too.. Metcalf was just so dominant they still gave him the hodge

If Yianni ran the table n won hodge this year there probably woulda been a case for him being 2nd goat behind Cael as 4xer w/ 1 loss.. rip that now too..
I disagree. While winning a lot, he was never as dominant as a Dake or Cael. Yianni had plenty of close calls.

Reactions: diggerpup
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT