ADVERTISEMENT

Yianni vs Gomez

Yianni was a bit low energy against the wrong guy. Match was still close in the second, but Gomez was brilliant in that seatbelt position exchange, throwing in a half. Yianni tried to adjust but Gomez switched to a body lock position and just threw Yianni to his back. Yianni didn't have the gas to recover and lost every exchange after that. Great match by Gomez.

If you have not watched the Gomez win over Yianni here it is.

Gomez had a great game plan for this match. He timed his shots perfectly everytime Yianni would shoot or fake. Yianni left his left leg exposed with weight on it, and Gomez capitalized brilliantly, just missing the takedown in the first (ran out of time) and then the 2 takedowns in the 3rd. This seems like a game plan that could be replicated by the top tier this year and could make this weight interesting.

Also, going upper body with Gomez isn't the smartest thing in the world, I don't care who you are! Great match!

Last edited:
I disagree. While winning a lot, he was never as dominant as a Dake or Cael. Yianni had plenty of close calls.
When ranking the goat of college wrestling how would you rank the criteria in order of importance?? Id probably go with # of titles(bonus for hodge) first, then win/loss record(also some factor competition), then bonus point wins.. obv it’s Cael first then all the 4xer probably have a case for 2nd.. personally I’d go with Dake.. but any future 4xer w/ one loss would have a case too no?

Match was sort of surreal. Odd camera angle and weird bright lighting, and Yianni looked like he was wrestling a kind of experimental match all upper body with the one guy you don't do that against. I'm willing to bet if they see each other again the match looks nothing like that. Not saying yianni automatically Beats Gomez, but saying the next match will be very different.

When ranking the goat of college wrestling how would you rank the criteria in order of importance?? Id probably go with # of titles(bonus for hodge) first, then win/loss record(also some factor competition), then bonus point wins.. obv it’s Cael first then all the 4xer probably have a case for 2nd.. personally I’d go with Dake.. but any future 4xer w/ one loss would have a case too no?
Right after number of titles , need to look at who they wrestled and beat. That is why no matter how much I dislike Dake I put him in as #1

Right after number of titles , need to look at who they wrestled and beat. That is why no matter how much I dislike Dake I put him in as #1
giphy.gif

At least you didnt emhasize the 4 weights thing, or the “no redshirt” thing.

This aint rocket science dude, Cael never lost, and if that were easy too do then your homie Dake would have done it.

Its becoming more and more apparent as these “once in a generation“ guys (Lee, Hall,Steveson etc etc ) all suffer losses that what Cael did will prolly never be duplicated. That’s the GOAT.

There’s your queue Bordo.

At least you didnt emhasize the 4 weights thing, or the “no redshirt” thing.

This aint rocket science dude, Cael never lost, and if that were easy too do then your homie Dake would have done it.

Its becoming more and more apparent as these “once in a generation“ guys (Lee, Hall,Steveson etc etc ) all suffer losses that what Cael did will prolly never be duplicated. That’s the GOAT.

There’s your queue Bordo.
4x OW at NCAAs was Cael as well.

He looked off but you know this will motivate him to a different level. He will be very tough to beat come March.

Never?

Every single 'never will be broken' record in every sport gets bested in time. Eventually somone will go undefeated as a 4xer in college wrestling and then the debate with Cael can start. I seriously doubt he will come close to 159-0 though.

Short of longevity based records (see Tom Brady), normal career records can certainly last decades, but eventually...

What makes Cael's achievement even more compelling is his bonus rate, and Hodges. Steiber, Dake, Yanni didn't/won't come close to dominating the competition in the way Cael did. If any of them had gone undefeated there is still a wide gap in terms of dominance, which in my mind is part and parcel of what makes the GOAT.

Never?

Every single 'never will be broken' record in every sport gets bested in time. Eventually somone will go undefeated as a 4xer in college wrestling and then the debate with Cael can start. I seriously doubt he will come close to 159-0 though.

Short of longevity based records (see Tom Brady), normal career records can certainly last decades, but eventually...

What makes Cael's achievement even more compelling is his bonus rate, and Hodges. Steiber, Dake, Yanni didn't/won't come close to dominating the competition in the way Cael did. If any of them had gone undefeated there is still a wide gap in terms of dominance, which in my mind is part and parcel of what makes the GOAT.
Lots of records will NEVER be broken. Cy Young won 511 games. No pitcher will ever even start that many games let alone win them. There are many other records out there like that.

Never?

Lots of records will NEVER be broken. Cy Young won 511 games. No pitcher will ever even start that many games let alone win them. There are many other records out there like that.
Here's a couple others (throw out the one for Lance Armstrong). I was surprised at how many articles there are on this subject. Plenty of other records that some consider "unbreakable".

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34872477/sports-most-unbreakable-records

Reactions: Gebmo
I purposely excluded longevity records.

Going undefeated for 4 years will happen again undoubtedly. In the fashion and level of dominance that Cael displayed, doubtful.

I stand corrected. When I am wrong I am man enough to admit it. I found a record that may truly never be broken, or at least, let's hope so.

I know you're including DT. But you might want to go back and take a look at the brackets for Cael and see who he just absolutely demolished. And while Dake beat other champs, Cael was the vacuum at 184 - Dake moved out of weight classes. And as the kids say - Cael "clapped cheeks." He finished with over 80% bonus rate for his career and at the NCAA tournament, it was never close, never in doubt (closest win being 8-4 to Cormier). He's also the career leading scorer in NCAA tournament history.

Freshman
Eggum 6-1
World Silver

Brad Vering pinslay 1:58
Champ at 197 the next year

Hrovat pinslay 4:24

Sophomore
Rob Rohn TF 20-5
NCAA Champ 2002

Eggum 16-5

Vertus Jones
2x runnerup

Junior
Daniel Cormier 8-4
World Bronze

Senior
Trenge 12-4
2x runner up

I purposely excluded longevity records.

Going undefeated for 4 years will happen again undoubtedly. In the fashion and level of dominance that Cael displayed, doubtful.
really? he had a few OT matches if I remember. i wish we had wrestlestat back in the day so we could get all of his results.

You’re going to argue Caels dominance now, cmon man you cant be serious.
no he was insanely dominant, but i think it's achievable again. we've seen guys come close already. DT was a fluke pin against Bubba and Dake moving up away for example. Might have been even more dominant honestly.

really? he had a few OT matches if I remember. i wish we had wrestlestat back in the day so we could get all of his results.
At times, just like me, you can be an idiot. This is one of them. Now that you have the data, calculate both career and tourney bonus percentage, them find someone in the same universe and we can talk.

Reactions: Ski and vhsalum
At times, just like me, you can be an idiot. This is one of them. Now that you have the data, calculate both career and tourney bonus percentage, them find someone in the same universe and we can talk.

thanks for the info! only confirms my point though. dominance is pretty comparable to DT. some very tight wins, especially early in his career.

probably read "doubtful" too harshly though. doubtful is right because it's more likely nobody will ever go undefeated again than not. but i don't think it's a level of dominance that is unachievable.

thanks for the info! only confirms my point though. dominance is pretty comparable to DT. some very tight wins, especially early in his career.

probably read "doubtful" too harshly though. doubtful is right because it's more likely nobody will ever go undefeated again than not. but i don't think it's a level of dominance that is unachievable.
He had 2 tight wins in his first 2 years! 6-5 against Vertus Jones and 4-3 against Damion Hahn. 2 matches in 2 years against very top level competition. His dominance is absolutely on another level and if you do find someone that was possibly close like DT they of course took losses

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT