ADVERTISEMENT

Zagreb Open

97 kg is an insane weight. Hoping to see Snyder vs J’Den but there are plenty of top guys to get through. Looking at the bracket and I don’t actually see J’Den?! Also a few top guys aren’t in the bracket that were on the competitor’s list.

Nick Lee with a super tough draw. Seabass and then probably Musukaev. Win there and likely to see Tumur Ochir who beat Yianni during the World Cup. Musukaev is so good but usually only for about 2 min. If Lee can weather the storm he has a chance with his pace.

Nolf got a pretty good draw. Canada first match and then probably Ghadziev from AZE in the quarters. Gets through him and has a good shot to make the finals. Salkazanov and Emami are both on the topside

At 86kg Amine and Zahid could meet in the semis. On the top half are Mark Hall and Yazdani. Yazdani is the big favorite in this weight but would love to see him and Zahid go at it

Last edited:
At least Finesilver will get a match in vs. McKenna (as opposed to drawing Iran 1st round).

97 kg is an insane weight. Hoping to see Snyder vs J’Den but there are plenty of top guys to get through. Looking at the bracket and I don’t actually see J’Den?! Also a few top guys aren’t in the bracket that were on the competitor’s list.

Nick Lee with a super tough draw. Seabass and then probably Musukaev. Win there and likely to see Tumur Ochir who beat Yianni during the World Cup. Musukaev is so good but usually only for about 2 min. If Lee can weather the storm he has a chance with his pace.

Nolf got a pretty good draw. Canada first match and then probably Ghadziev from AZE in the quarters. Gets through him and has a good shot to make the finals. Salkazanov and Emami are both on the topside

At 86kg Amine and Zahid could meet in the semis. On the top half are Mark Hall and Yazdani. Yazdani is the big favorite in this weight but would love to see him and Zahid go at it

Saw that Cox had withdrawn. No idea how serious, but he got dinged up at the Bill Farrell. Was limping after an early round win and then was a mff.

Reactions: zzs006
Nolf over Ghadziev 5-3. Nolf was up 4-0, gave up a takedown and was very close to getting turned on a vicious bow and arrow that had to be hell on his knee. Ghadziev's corner threw a yolo challenge and while waiting for that to play out, Nolf performed a humorous rubber-knee act, pretending to fall down, grabbing the ref in a single, etc.

Nolf tech over Leader of Canada
Justin Trudeau Yes GIF by Patriot Act

Nolf vs Ghadziev was a super match. Both wrestlers were completely spent at the conclusion. Jason may have strained his back enduring a bow and arrow.

Reactions: hlstone
Yazdani teched Mark 10-0, btw.

And Jason won a chippy match in his semi 2-1 vs Kuramagomedov (hungary)—he tech’d Dake at the olympics. passivity pt for both and Jason wizardly turned what looked very likely to be 2 from a chest wrap onto his own step out point.

Last edited:
Nolf has Emami from Iran in the finals. Emami was 3rd in the world this past year only losing to Dake 3-1. He also beat Salkazanov 5-0 in this tournament who is the past 2 years world runner-up. Should show where Nolf stands. Beating Gadzhiev is big as well. He is one of the best young wrestlers in the world

The guy from Japan at 86kg is on a tear. Pins Amine and then techs Zahid. Unfortunately for him he has Yazdani next.

At 70kg Pantaleo makes the final and will see Aliyev. Good match-up

Nick Lee is out. He loses to Musukaev who then loses to Tumur Ochir. Tumur Ochir is on a roll of late. Looked incredible at the World Cup and keeps it up here. Lee teching Seabass is good to see though. Seabass is ranked 5th in the world according to UWW. Musukaev is ranked 3rd

Last edited:
Are my eyes deceiving me?

Hayden Hidlay, 174lb AA last year, wrestling at 70kg? 154lbs?

His brother did; Zahid is still trying to rep the US.
Important to note, UWW seems to allow anyone to rep any country despite competing for a different country in the past.

Zahid always has that option.

Important to note, UWW seems to allow anyone to rep any country despite competing for a different country in the past.

Zahid always has that option.

They follow the IOC rules. I *believe* there's a two year gap between filing paperwork to compete for another country and actually being able to do it.

Some countries have looser requirements than others. Ben Honis and Austin O'Connor compete for...wait for it...Italy. I don't know if they have to renounce their American citizenship or if they can still be dual citizens.

Some countries have looser requirements than others. Ben Honis and Austin O'Connor compete for...wait for it...Italy. I don't know if they have to renounce their American citizenship or if they can still be dual citizens.
They don't have to renounce citizenship. Amine and Micic didn't.

Italy once recruited Shane Victorino for their Olympic baseball team. His name ends in a vowel ... He told them he's of Portuguese descent.

I see the same thing. Thought he went up to 174 bc the cut was too bad.
My understanding was that Hayden went up to 174 for his last year so that he could be at the weight next to his brother (presumably to work out together at a closer weight). If it was just the hard cut to 157, I think he would have gone at 165.

Evan Henderson comes back from 8 down and pins Musukaev for bronze!! Musukaev was so f’ing tired he could barely move. Laid on the mat for a long time after getting decked barely able to move. He is so talented but is in the worst shape of any high level athlete. He does this every single tournament. If you can push him to the last couple minutes you have a great chance to win

They don't have to renounce citizenship. Amine and Micic didn't.

Italy once recruited Shane Victorino for their Olympic baseball team. His name ends in a vowel ... He told them he's of Portuguese descent.
Joe Paterno used to recruit safeties the same way!

Watching Nick's match against Musukaev, it looked like he didn't read the "book" on Musukaev beforehand.

He played right into Musukaev's strengths and didn't seem interested in trying to prolong the match. If you make it to the second period with Musukaev, you have much stronger odds of winning. He was way, way too offensive against the guy who is likely the best first-period wrestler in the world.

Pantaleo defeats Haji Aliyev 5-2 to take gold at 70kg. Aliyev is a 4x world champ but at 61kg. He earned silver at the last Olympics at 65kg and I guess now that he's in his 30s he likes eating. Still a pretty big win for Pantaleo, probably his biggest win. He's turned himself into a legit freestyler.

ADVERTISEMENT