ADVERTISEMENT

141 - FLO preview & predictions

Well these are Christian's predictions for what will happen in March. He's said that his rankings have to do with results and Gulibon has a pretty solid resume of a guy that should be in that area. Suriano was unranked because he didn't have an NCAA win yet but Christian picked him to end runner up.

I still believe in Jimmy even though I wouldn't begrudge anyone saying he's not going to get it done. I'm not sure he can compete for the title but I think he can be an AA.

CP doesn't even mention Jimmy. Anywhere.
clearly he doesn't view Jimmy with an upside going into this year. No mention is curious but he took a lot of heat with his rankings last year (although I could understand his reasoning). Jimmy will need to do something with his short offense - especially when he blocks a shot -- Seems like he always wants to scramble and attack the same leg. Regardless, here is to Jimmy proving him wrong and CP happily admitting it!!

Reactions: diggerpup
I hope Jimmy proves almost everyone wrong. Fans focus on his struggles finishing shots but he also needs to figure out how to get out on bottom more consistently against tough riders. He gets stuck down under way to many times to make a run at Nationals.

clearly he doesn't view Jimmy with an upside going into this year. No mention is curious but he took a lot of heat with his rankings last year (although I could understand his reasoning). Jimmy will need to do something with his short offense - especially when he blocks a shot -- Seems like he always wants to scramble and attack the same leg. Regardless, here is to Jimmy proving him wrong and CP happily admitting it!!

A lot of successful guys attack the same leg. They just could/can finish quickly.

At least with Jimmy, if you're his roommate you could probably leave a plate of donuts out in the kitchen without fear of them being bogarted. I'm sure Courts' housemates had locks on the fridge.
Or just put the donuts on the bottom shelf ... because Courts couldn't get out from bottom at all last year. (Ba-dum-dum.)

Can't fault folks for not giving Jimmy any love. That being said, I'm gonna call a 5th to 8th finish to his career.

Unless Gullibon has improved from last season, it's perfectly understandable to omit him from the round of 12. That's not a lack of support (I hope he wins every match), it's just being objective.

Reactions: RoarLions1
Don't get leaving him out of the top 10. Top 6 guys leave and he gets a year of experience

Jimmy has a high skill set, but there have been times he has wrestled with what I describe as a lack of urgency. For Jimmy to b successful he must wrestle with a higher level of patient desperation.

What I mean is when he is in on a leg, finish the shot no matter what. When wrestling in the first period, attack and finish. When wrestling on the bottom, do not sit underneath. From the first whistle move like your ass is on fire and when almost out - don't stop.
Too many times Jimmy has wrestled like he had plenty of time or he would have ample additional opportunities.
When the opportunity is present, finish like you did against Clark in the BJC match.

Last go around so wrestle like every match is your last and every opportunity to score is your last.

Plenty of talent more urgency please.

No Brady Grothus picked as a champ contender, one year out of school.

Hawkeye Report is upset. And a little lost.

He didn't make the Round of 12 last year, and there's a decent amount of young talent moving into the weight (Kolodzik, Hayes) plus a healthy Manley. Seems pretty fair as far as predictions go until Jimmy starts showing he can consistently beat top 10 guys at this weight.

What I mean is when he is in on a leg, finish the shot no matter what. When wrestling in the first period, attack and finish. When wrestling on the bottom, do not sit underneath. From the first whistle move like your ass is on fire and when almost out - don't stop.
Too many times Jimmy has wrestled like he had plenty of time or he would have ample additional opportunities.

Jimmy has surprised me in college, in that he seems to lack faith in finishing his shots. He frequently gets in deep, and has great position, but seems to be fearful of committing to the attack when the opponents makes any type of defensive move. I often wondered last year if that was a lack of confidence on Jimmy's part, or if his leg problems were hampering his ability to drive forward on the shot. Roar probably can clarify this, though he may not wish to divulge that info.

As for wrestling on the bottom, it's not imperative that you move "like your ass is on fire" from the whistle. In fact, against elite guys such actions can cost you. A lot of the top guys will move cautiously on bottom until they have a better sense of what the top guy is doing, and then react accordingly. At the same time, getting out from the bottom is frequently a question of mindset. Jimmy does seem to get a little to cautious when on bottom, which has bewildered me. Again, perhaps his leg issues last year had more to do with this than I realized.

Jimmy has surprised me in college, in that he seems to lack faith in finishing his shots. He frequently gets in deep, and has great position, but seems to be fearful of committing to the attack when the opponents makes any type of defensive move. I often wondered last year if that was a lack of confidence on Jimmy's part, or if his leg problems were hampering his ability to drive forward on the shot. Roar probably can clarify this, though he may not wish to divulge that info.

As for wrestling on the bottom, it's not imperative that you move "like your ass is on fire" from the whistle. In fact, against elite guys such actions can cost you. A lot of the top guys will move cautiously on bottom until they have a better sense of what the top guy is doing, and then react accordingly. At the same time, getting out from the bottom is frequently a question of mindset. Jimmy does seem to get a little to cautious when on bottom, which has bewildered me. Again, perhaps his leg issues last year had more to do with this than I realized.
"it's not imperative that you move "like your ass is on fire" from the whistle. In fact, against elite guys such actions can cost you. A lot of the top guys will move cautiously on bottom until they have a better sense of what the top guy is doing, and then react accordingly. At the same time, getting out from the bottom is frequently a question of mindset. "

I thought I might have to explain but was hoping not to have to do so.
Yes, David Taylor could sit underneath and wait for the top man to get lightly out of position and just reach back grab an ankle or shoe, give a little shrug and turn in. Quentin would do something similar but he would hit a tiny sit or a half switch or even a tiny roll. Nico could maintain position and hand control until he was ready and then just come out.
Patience and waiting for the top kid to move himself slightly out of position, or maintaining his own position until he can move the top man out of position with some little movement is not something Jimmy has shown as a strong skill. So, since the current preferred bottom wrestling mindset doesn't with any kind of consistency really work for Jimmy. Something that has worked for people since before but including John Fritz, Greg Elinsiky, Cary Kolat as well as many others and as recently as Dylan Alton or Frank Molinaro (with his match against Dake as a noted exception) - moving on the whistle like your ass is on fire, with a plan of course, isn't in my opinion a bad thing.

As far as Jimmy's ankle being a possible rationale for his bottom struggles last year - that would have some merit if the bottom wrestling had not been a long standing issue. I do agree getting off the bottom is frequently a mindset, but so is finishing an offensive attack, or not waiting to push your attack. I think my original post which was simply he needs to wrestle with a higher sense of urgency is a different way of saying wrestle with a different minset.

"A lot of the top guys will move cautiously on bottom until they have a better sense of what the top guy is doing, and then react accordingly."

Look no further than to our own David Taylor for evidence. I remember being amazed at how patient he was when starting a period on bottom.

But a lot of top guys don't allow the guy on top to put in legs when they are being patient ....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT