ADVERTISEMENT

1969 Highlight film

Roar More

Aug 19, 2004
I found this on YouTube. It brought make many memories as I was at most of those games. Poor Charlie Pittman. His scoring records lasted one season, but Neal Smith's interceptions records still stand. There were a lot of things you'll see on defense that would raw flags today, like hits to the head and horse collar tackles. Burkhart was the ultimate game manager as a qb. Two touchdown passes for the entire season and never lost a game in college. But why pass when your backfield consisted of Charlie Pittman, Lydell Mitchell, and Franco Harris?

Enjoy a time warp to a simpler time.

I found this on YouTube. It brought make many memories as I was at most of those games. Poor Charlie Pittman. His scoring records lasted one season, but Neal Smith's interceptions records still stand. There were a lot of things you'll see on defense that would raw flags today, like hits to the head and horse collar tackles. Burkhart was the ultimate game manager as a qb. Two touchdown passes for the entire season and never lost a game in college. But why pass when your backfield consisted of Charlie Pittman, Lydell Mitchell, and Franco Harris?

Like you, I attended many of those games. In fact I attended all but Kansas State and North Carolina State. Tried to attend Kansas State but turned around somewhere in Ohio, oh well. In my opinion, Franco was the reason they were undefeated that year due to his heroics in Syracuse and the Orange Bowl. If you'll remember, Bob Parsons had this habit of occasionally outkicking his punt coverage. Franco was the safety valve on punts and made several touchdown saving tackles against both Syracuse and Missouri. That plus his fourth quarter running against Syracuse saved that season. The defense was absolutely smothering.

We drove from Boston to Syracuse to see them play in old Archibald stadium. We got there very early before the team. Franco walked in with Mike Reid. Franco looked much bigger. He came to Butler PA in the 1970s to call on American Hardware Supply. He filled a door when he walked in. He was always in Joe's doghouse.

Hilarious point after the Ohio U game. Announcer says ‘When you’re winning everything goes right. Just ask Bob ******!’ as they show him walking off the field with a girl under each arm!😹

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT