ADVERTISEMENT

#2 ranking and Michigan obervations

bohucon

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
York County, PA
All season, I've felt PSU is a very good football team, but often questioned how good they actually are? Were their LBs flowing/tackling well enough, DL able to handle 'elite' OL's push, was our OL capable of winning blocks at the POA to sustain drives against tough opponents, and would our Special Teams come through in crucial moments like they did last year? All valid questions through the first-half of the season. All those doubts were answered last night. PSU is every bit deserving of its #2 national ranking and I think we can compete for a national championship as well as anyone.
Bear with a few observations on the Michigan game and where we were and are going:
(I never post negatively about players, however, let me point out where we can improve)

QB - Those that think Trace isn't a good QB - you are wrong. Can't say it any succinctly than that. He brings a leadership dynamic that only a few teams in the country have and it comes from his effort, determination, preparation, and game-winning plays in crucial situations. Yes, he missed some throws - I can name 3 last night, the interception, Barkley over the middle, Gesicki over the middle. But the kid made some tough throws to change the game - Hamilton, Gesicki, Hamilton, SB's drop, Hamilton, SB's TD - all perfectly thrown. He misread some things in the run game, but when it came down to putting the game away, he drug 3 defenders into the EZ. The kid is a winner!
No QB is going to read 100% correctly in the run or pass game, especially in this offense.

RB - Miles Sanders is going to be very good, not Saquon good, but no one is - but very good. SB is Sb, but he does miss the hole at times and I'm sure will correct this with film work. A lot of it has to do with varied/disguised defensive fronts that give the OL trouble, like the TFL inside our own 5-yard line.

WR - They can play! Not one is going to dominate every game, which is what makes them so hard to defend. Blacknall, Hamilton, Johnson, Polk, Thompkins - all are proven play-makers and any given Saturday can be 'the guy'. Those looking for someone to dominate, don't understand the schematics and philosophy of this offense.

TE - He is a mismatch nightmare for any defense. Look for him to catch some balls going vertically down the middle in the next few weeks - just a variation. He has improved on his blocking and still needs better hat placement when he wraps across the center.

OL - They are young and some early season defensive fronts, gave them fits, but after watching the first 12 offensive plays - they were solid to the man, all of them. They can get better at finishing blocks and stepping under defenders pad levels, but they handled arguably one of the top 5 defensive lines in the nation. McGovern, Bates, Gonzo and Mahon all had pancakes last night at various points. Fries played well - only once in the first half did he have a blown assignment. He won some, tied some, and lost a few, but not to the point that it impacted play. They grew up vs. Michigan and will only get better.

Offensively, look for some more wrinkles in routes and in the run game that will put teams on their heels. For those that doubt the play-calling or Moorhead, you have to understand that what you see one particular week may only be good for that particular opponent, that week. It may also be for an opponent down the road - 3-4 weeks away. Not every play is called to score a TD. That's the beauty of Moorhead - he gets it and is setting things up for the big picture. Plus, some of our woes up front were on the players, some on the coaches, some credit to the other team, but I saw last night an OL completely capable of handling varied defensive fronts with blitz angles galore from a talented UM defense.

DE - Buchholz is a player and grew up, as well. I look for big things from him similar to Nassib. Miller held his own but needs to get arm extension to disengage after his 2nd step. The others are still developing, but there is a motor there. Givens at DE creates havoc as well.

DT - Windsor played lights out. The rotation does all of them justice and they can hold their own. Often times last night the Cothre(a)ns were double, but they dropped or fought it taking up space. Their pass rush can't be upfield this week vs. Barrett. They will need to engage and slide.

LB - whoever said this group wasn't good - is wrong. Who said Cabinda should not be a Butkus Award Watch list, doesn't know football. 14 tackles vs. NW and 13 vs. UM going sideline to sideline. The kid is as good as they come in the middle. Manny Bowen is also growing into a special player. He made some crucial stops that lead to UM punts. Farmer is athletic as they come and they use him all over the field, often times he is away from the ball - which is to Pry's credit (with tendencies you can guess right often). He is still developing and just needs to let the game come to him. He will be needed to come through with a big play at some point in the season. Cam Brown needs reps and is still not up to the speed of the game, but he is young. Brandon Smith even in mop-up duty is around the ball - always.

CB - They can match up with anyone and so far coverages have been pretty vanilla, limited pattern read stuff - either zone or man and they have performed well. Wade had some growing pains last night but looks the part for an 18-year-old.

S Marcus Allen is the real deal and any RB that gets to him head-on is in trouble. He will play a huge role this week on OSU's TE - unless he rolls down in the box to stop #2. Apke is playing better - read the screen well, tackled well downfield. He got trucked once for a first down, but his brothers rallied.

Defensively overall this team plays great 'team defense' - relentless motors to the whistle, great leverage up front with gap integrity, LBs read and flow well, all 11 rally to the ball. They are tackling better and better each week as a team. If they cause TOs vs. OSU you may see the same result.

Special Teams
Blocking on returns needs to improve - better athletes on the field vs. earlier opponents and they can't get away with poor angles vs. the increased speed of the opponents from here on out.
Coverage is excellent with a few minor corrections to lane integrity (outside).
PAT/FG let a guy come through A-gap on first PAT. It got corrected, but they need to be solid.

So are we legitimately the #2 team in the country. After last night's beat down, I would say yes.
We are....... deserving.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News