ADVERTISEMENT

20 Years Ago: Daydrion Taylor's hit on Bob Stephenson

That was a terrifying hit. Second play of the game iirc.

Don't think it was quite that early. Seem to recall it being closer to the quarter break. It was the first positive play PSU had and then boom, the devastating hit.

Don't think it was quite that early. Seem to recall it being closer to the quarter break. It was the first positive play PSU had and then boom, the devastating hit.
You are correct. 4:20ish to go in the first quarter.

I was there sitting in Section WJU with my cousin about 50-60 rows up and heard that hit over the crowd. I've never heard a hit from the opposite side of the field like that before or since.

I sat in the first 10 rows of SB and the two things I remember from that game are that hit and watching a WIDE OPEN Charles Woodson catch a TD pass in front of me as I looked around wondering of all the Michigan receivers how they could leave HIM open.

I remember that play. Hard to believe it's been 20 years.

Penn State had won three in a row against Meeechigan. There was even a Detroit Red Wings commercial making light of our winning streak by having a plaque above their door way that read "Beat Penn State".

Loyd Carr said later, he could look into his players eyes on the plane to State College that they meant business.

It was a tough tough loss for Penn State. But, give credit where credit is due: Meeechigan physically beat Penn State that day. They were the better team.

That hit is a microcosm of that 1997 Meeechigan team.

Reactions: mn78psu83
no doubt one of the greatest hits in the history of cfb.

A hit that ended two players' careers is not 'one of the greatest hits in the history of cfb'. Posting crap like this is one of the reason people hate scUM fans.

That would be like PSU fans celebrating Michael Robinson ending Brandon Owens' career... no we don't. It was a big hit, but nothing to celebrate.

A hit that ended two players' careers is not 'one of the greatest hits in the history of cfb'. Posting crap like this is one of the reason people hate scUM fans.

That would be like PSU fans celebrating Michael Robinson ending Brandon Owens' career... no we don't. It was a big hit, but nothing to celebrate.

I read his post to be more in the sense of biggest hit or hardest hit, something like that, not one of celebration. But who knows.

Reactions: NedFromYork
I read his post to be more in the sense of biggest hit or hardest hit, something like that, not one of celebration. But who knows.

Yeah, "greatest" wasn't the best word choice on his part.

It certainly is "memorable" though. This thread being started is proof of such.

though n/a in '97 that looks like a targeting call today.

They physically beat us that year. Look for them to try to do it again this year.

Penn State had won three in a row against Meeechigan. There was even a Detroit Red Wings commercial making light of our winning streak by having a plaque above their door way that read "Beat Penn State".

Loyd Carr said later, he could look into his players eyes on the plane to State College that they meant business.

It was a tough tough loss for Penn State. But, give credit where credit is due: Meeechigan physically beat Penn State that day. They were the better team.

That hit is a microcosm of that 1997 Meeechigan team.
Complete dominance by one group of post adolescent Naked Apes over another.

Reactions: michnittlion
Michael+Mauti++-+Penn+State.jpg

joeyhit.0.gif

I was there sitting in Section WJU with my cousin about 50-60 rows up and heard that hit over the crowd. I've never heard a hit from the opposite side of the field like that before or since.
WC 66, my wife gasped when the hit occurred. It seemed to cast a pall over the stadium that portended the rest of the day. What a shame. I haven't seen replay myself to decide if it was a dirty play or just bad luck for both but there was a sound that seemed to be deadening and the crowd sort of self silenced for a while as we waited for what seem an eternity to have them stand and walk away. Quite a sad moment, a shocking moment.

Reactions: Cpeplion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT