ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Olympic Trials match and discussion thread

Use voice command through your remote to turn it off.
I tried that. It's off on my TV, but I can't get cc off on Peacock. It's funny it moved from the lower left box to the upper left mat box when they fixed the flickering issue on mat 3. I'll survive, but it's annoying.

There's a lot of talk on GIA that Spencer hurt his knee on Nico's first shot of the second period and that contributed to him stalling the whole period out. Did anyone here catch that? I didn't see anything, although the stalling didn't make sense since just getting another TD would have been a better way to conserve energy.

Reactions: js8793
Agreed. If you can gut wrench and leg lace someone non-stop, I don't understand why Bartlett did not get two more after he took McKenna over a second time with the half. It was however a mistake to challenge the call since Bartlett led 2-2 with only 45 seconds left. That said, it should have been a pin, McKenna was flat several times. FS can be confusing. Even my wife who knows nothing about wrestling was confused about the outcome.
Absolutely… you can get 10 from a leg lace or a gut by rolling over and over but hold a guy on his back for 30 seconds and get nothing is ridiculous

Attempt at a serious answer:

Generally, in a single move from the ground, you can't get the exposure *and* the takedown. Going from feet to back, +4. Takedown, then a turn, 2+2. But Bartlett started with an exposure that turned into the takedown, so that was only ever +2
Thanks. I had seen this before but had never asked the question, I was assuming there had to be 2+2, but didn't know the rule.

57kg Consi's- Nico Megaludis DEC Marcus Blaze

P1:
Nico slapping at the head & tying up Blaze
Blaze not doing much as Nico slaps at his head
Nico ties him up, shoots for an ankle, gets a leg, Blaze trying to fight him off, Nico still working, gets the leg up, but Blaze fighting hard & we get a stalemate.
Fighting for position, Blaze passivity warning
Blaze on the clock, no score, Nico point 1-0
Circling in the center & fighting for position as the period ends
1-0 Nico

P2:
Nico shoots for a leg, but nothing
Nico is a little more aggressive or active
Nico snap, nothing
Tying up in the center, restart
Nico shoots, nothing, Blaze locks in over the top & back to neutral
Nico moving forward, but nothing,
Blaze back on the clock, no score, Nico point 2-0
Blaze shoots & gets the TD 2-2, Blaze advantage
1:33 left
Stoppage in action for something, looks like an injury for Blaze, not sure what
Back to action
Nico snap, nothing, Blaze is slick!
1-min left
Nico looking for something, but Blaze with solid positioning
30-sec left
Nico moving forward, but Blaze blocking & circling
Nico snap attempt, nothing
Nico pushes him towards the edge, Blaze circles back in
The period expires

Marcus Blaze DEC Nico Megaludis 2-2

I think it's worse than that. I think he pulled the plug on dropping down less than 2 weeks ago. He has no time to really bulk up after just returning to his natural weight. A terrible miscalculation.

I am not a fan at all of big weight cuts when you're are going against the nation's/world's very best.

It got Vito already, I think Spencer will win due partially to Fix and Gillman having cuts. James Green had his issues. Retherford has me worried that we will see far from his best.

We will see how it plays out but I will bet the big cutters have less than a 50% win loss record, and we will be lucky to see any qualify :(

Not really. He was caught in the middle.

Are you a fan of jumping up a weight and going against the worlds best?

Did everyone else who lost make a miscalculation?

I tried that. It's off on my TV, but I can't get cc off on Peacock. It's funny it moved from the lower left box to the upper left mat box when they fixed the flickering issue on mat 3. I'll survive, but it's annoying.
I had the same issue. Was finally able to turn it off by clicking on the down arrow on my remote - that opened up an option to turn off subtitles.

Reactions: creamery freak
57kg Consis- Luke Lilledahl vs. Liam Cronin

P1:
Circling in the center
Luke reaches for an ankle, nothing
Cronin reaches for an ankle, nothing
Luke deep in on a leg, but Cronin jumps out of it somehow
Back to neutral, hand-fighting
Luke reaches for a leg, nothing
Cronin pushes Luke towards the edge, restart
Circling, head slapping & tying up in the center
Luke shoots for a leg, nothing
1-min left
Luke tries for the leg again, Cronin tries a counter, no scoring
Tying up & head slapping & circling in the center again
Luke on the shot clock, no score, 1-0 Cronin
Period expires
1-0 Cronin

P2:
Tying up, slapping & circling in the center of the mat
Both working for position, lots of hand-fighting
Cronin on the shot clock,
Luke with a half duck attempt, nothing
Cronin reaches for an ankle, but Luke fights it off
No score Cronin, Shot clock point Luke 1-1, Luke advantage
Back to center fighting
Cronin gets a leg, but then looses it
Luke back on the shot clock, Luke gets an ankle, but gives up the shot clock point 2-1
Luke keeps working & gets the step out point 2-2, Luke advantage
30-sec left
Circling in the center
Cronin moving forward, Luke fighting him off
15-sec left
Luke warned for negative wrestling
Time expires

Luke Lilledahl DEC Liam Cronin 2-2

Beau pulls it out last second anyway!!! 4-3

Edit. Biggest screw job of the tournament so far. Beau loses 2-3. So dumb.
yea a lot of times they dont give TD dont kno why ,he took him down to his back definite 4 points!
Attempt at a serious answer:

Generally, in a single move from the ground, you can't get the exposure *and* the takedown. Going from feet to back, +4. Takedown, then a turn, 2+2. But Bartlett started with an exposure that turned into the takedown, so that was only ever +2

Next, holding him over the shoulder (folkstyle NF criteria) doesn't tick up any more points, you have to return them to a defensible position then expose the back again.

For the fall, it was hard to see the other shoulder, but ref was there and didn't call it. I thought he had it, but I'm biased, and freestyle refs are normally pretty quick with it.

Challenge was a big mistake.
LOL exposure and TD equals 4 to me!!

Reactions: sweatybetty
Reasonably good morning session. Feel bad for Nico and Cenzo. I have appreciated watching them over the years and feel like it's over for them. It seems like the pin calls are slow for freestyle/greco tournament. Several times I feel like they held off calling the fall.

Reasonably good morning session. Feel bad for Nico and Cenzo. I have appreciated watching them over the years and feel like it's over for them. It seems like the pin calls are slow for freestyle/greco tournament. Several times I feel like they held off calling the fall.
Hate how every style is just jumbled together.

I think Beau pinned McKenna, but the TD at the end would only count in Folk (knee didn’t touch).

His turn happened before a takedown, so no 2+2 by rule.

Freestyle, still Freestyle—in spite of everyone’s protestations here.

Seemed like Nolf and AB had tough cuts.

Facundo, one of the very few losers who walked straight for “autograph row” and signed for every single kid there.

Shapiro 1-22 in two matches!
Grey and the Cornell coaches better figure something out quickly. Shapiro went from a potential undefeated 4xer and freestyle dynamo to whatever he is now. I’m not saying he’s a bust, but he’s trending the wrong way. Other huge recruits will pause before picking Cornell if a guy like Shapiro doesn’t win multiple titles.

Considering he has Mesenbrink & Haines in his weight range for at least 2 more seasons, Shapiro might never win a title. Something unfathomable a few months ago.

Any site for the brackets or is there a NLWC recap of session one?
Open up your eyes and read the first post of the thread.

Or try twitter: search for NLWC... search "USA Wrestling"

Or try Google.com

For being regular visitors of the board, it's hysterical how some of you people are so helpless.

Any site for the brackets or is there a NLWC recap of session one?
Brackets are on Track.

Recent Results:
57kg- Zane Richards DEC Luke Lilledahl 5-3
57kg- Thomas Gilman DEC Jax Forrest 5-4

57kg Con- M.Blaze DEC N.Megaludis 2-2
57kg Con- L.Lilledahl DEC L.Cronin 2-2
65kg Con- Joey McKenna DEC Beau Bartlett 3-2
74kg Con- A.Marinelli DEC L.Haines 11-7
74kg Con- L.Lockett Over V.Josepf (FF)
74kg Con- T.Berger DEC A.Facundo 5-5
86kg Con- E.Wick Over C.Starocci (INJ-DEF)
86kg Con- M.Hall Over P.Downey (FF)
86kg Con- Max Dean TECH Connor Mirasola 12-2

I missed the J’Den vs Carroll match but just saw it was a 1-1 match. Did J’Den look like shit? Carroll has been wrestling really well but I thought J’Den would kill him

I missed the J’Den vs Carroll match but just saw it was a 1-1 match. Did J’Den look like shit? Carroll has been wrestling really well but I thought J’Den would kill him
He kinda did. He “lost his legs” several times walking back to the tunnel, yelled in frustration.

Reactions: zzs006
I don’t remember J’Den taking a single shot. But, I had the quad stream going and was not glued to the entire match.

Reactions: zzs006
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT