ADVERTISEMENT

Football 2024 PIAA Football Season Thread

High school football starts in Pennsylvania this week....

Big news today as Harrisburg QB Shawn Lee has been ruled ineligible.

I read some articles after a quick google search. I still don't understand what the issue was ... he played 3 years, and something about a covid waiver. OK ... so why is he ineligible? Is he another one of those kids who flunked himself in an effort to get another year of PT?

I read some articles after a quick google search. I still don't understand what the issue was ... he played 3 years, and something about a covid waiver. OK ... so why is he ineligible? Is he another one of those kids who flunked himself in an effort to get another year of PT?

Just found this- he apparently played 2021, 2022, 2023 seasons. In 2020 he took virtual classes that year and didn’t play. The hold up is that after 4 years of high school you have no more eligibility. (No college red shirt type extensions). From Pennlive article-

“Section 1A of Article 8 provides that “the student is ineligible to participate in interscholastic athletics if he/she has reached the end of his/her fourth consecutive year or eighth consecutive semester, of the equivalent, after the eighth grade year without regard to his period of attendance.”

Lee and Harrisburg high lost this appeal at the D3 level 11-0 in July. They then appealed to the PIAA and lost that appeal 5-0.

Just found this- he apparently played 2021, 2022, 2023 seasons. In 2020 he took virtual classes that year and didn’t play. The hold up is that after 4 years of high school you have no more eligibility. (No college red shirt type extensions). From Pennlive article-

“Section 1A of Article 8 provides that “the student is ineligible to participate in interscholastic athletics if he/she has reached the end of his/her fourth consecutive year or eighth consecutive semester, of the equivalent, after the eighth grade year without regard to his period of attendance.”

Lee and Harrisburg high lost this appeal at the D3 level 11-0 in July. They then appealed to the PIAA and lost that appeal 5-0.

Right, but did he flunk himself? Must have. If he's a senior now, and trying to play in 2024 ... OK, so he would have played in 2024 (Sr), 2023 (Jr), 2022 (Soph), 2021 (Frosh). Who cares that he didn't play in 2020? He must have repeated a grade in there somewhere for this to make sense.

Pretty sad the kid is getting screwed by the ridiculous Wuhan lockdowns. Even the inept NCAA tried to make amends.🤷🏻‍♀️

Reactions: MacNit2.0
Right, but did he flunk himself? Must have. If he's a senior now, and trying to play in 2024 ... OK, so he would have played in 2024 (Sr), 2023 (Jr), 2022 (Soph), 2021 (Frosh). Who cares that he didn't play in 2020? He must have repeated a grade in there somewhere for this to make sense.

I don’t know why it’s apparently taking him 5 years to complete high school. It looks like the bottom line is that the rules say you’re eligible for 4 years. If you’re still in school after that then you’re no longer eligible.

I don’t know why it’s apparently taking him 5 years to complete high school. It looks like the bottom line is that the rules say you’re eligible for 4 years. If you’re still in school after that then you’re no longer eligible.
Clock starts ticking when you enter grade 9. You have 4 years or 8 consecutive semesters. They count even if you don't play a sport in some of them. In the business everyone looks at Date Of Entry. This determines the duration of competition. Once it has been spent you are done.

All of this assumes you are also age appropriate.

When I finally put together the Infinity Gauntlet and snap my fingers, the new universal rule will be that you can't compete in HS athletics in any year in which you were at least 18 years of age before starting the school year.

And you cannot participate in college athletics in any year in which you were at least 22 years of age before starting the school year.

No more late starts, no more "reclassing," no more redshirts, greyshirts, fuschiashirts. Just shut up and go to school when you're supposed to. You're not special. And if you can't handle school, then you don't get extra years to play sports. If you get a boo-boo, that sucks, but you don't get an extra year to play sports.

Pair of PA vs NJ games going on today, the Hun School vs Haverford School and DePaul Catholic (Michael Troutman) vs Malvern Prep

Freedom (Bethlehem) beat Torrey Pines (California) 17-14 in a hard fought game that Freedom, who is a good, solid program but not a great program, made some mistakes but still prevailed in this game that was hosted in NYC. Nice to see PA football beating California football on a national stage! For additional context, freedom was 6-5 last year and torrey pines was 7-4.

This was the old Gus Felder situation. Thought to have had 5 years of High school to play 4 and some questioned Berwicks state title his senior year. I believe PIAA ruled he was eligible.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT